Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Beginning chapter books
Previous  1  2

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:58 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I’m finding my kids can’t relate to a lot of the traditional chapter books. My kids are really super sheltered and still can’t relate to life 20-30 years ago. It’s a whole different world. In some ways life 100 years ago is more relatable.
Does anyone know what I mean?

I know what you mean. Contemporary stories seem dated sooner than historical fiction. For both OP and Fuscia: How about K'tonton stories (if you can find them)? The books can be read as chapter books or read aloud as stories one chapter at a time. For slightly higher level readers, All of a Kind Family books are excellent.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:39 pm
For really beginning beginners (1st to early 2nd grade) I second the suggestion of Henry and Mudge, Frog and Toad also wonderful, and will add to the list on similar level Mr. Putter and Tabby. I don't think there's anything culturally specific about them. Little Bear is also chapters, old classic, and should be a similar level.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:46 pm
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume - first in a series of books about
a little boy nick-named "Fudge" and his long-suffering older brother. These books are fourth grade level.

Warning: There might be a few lines that are inappropriate but most kids probably won't notice.

Also, there is the "I survived..." series which boys (and girls) really like. It's historical fiction. Also about fourth grade level.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:53 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I’m finding my kids can’t relate to a lot of the traditional chapter books. My kids are really super sheltered and still can’t relate to life 20-30 years ago. It’s a whole different world. In some ways life 100 years ago is more relatable.
Does anyone know what I mean?

If you want old-fashioned books with good morals there is:

The Five Little Peppers and How they grew
Cheaper by the Dozen
Betsy-Tacy
Little House on the Prairie
Caddie Woodlawn
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Heidi
Anne of Green Gables
Hans Brinker
Baby Island

Also, the American Girl series

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 4:59 pm
Thank you again to everyone participating. While I am looking for the earliest type of chapter books at the moment, around Grade 1-2 level, the more advanced suggestions are welcome too. I plan to bookmark this thread and return to your great suggestions periodically as my child advances.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:10 pm
For first grade and second grade picture books are fine to read independently, while a parent can read-aloud chapter books.

Here are some picture books that are appropriate for 1-2 grade level:

Berenstain Bears
Amelia Bedilia
Alexander and the Horrible, Terrible No-Good Day
Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
The Gingerbread Man
A Fish out of Water
Bedtime for Francess
Miss Nelson is Missing
Madeline
Curious George (original)
Eloise at the Plaza
Stone Soup
Caps for Sale

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:36 pm
I loved these books as a kid

Junee B Jones
Cam Jansen
Encyclopedia Brown
A to Z Mysteries
Boxcar Children
The Riverside Kids series by Johanna Hurwitz
Ramona Quimby books
Oliver Pig
Amber Brown
amelia bedelia
Flat Stanley

This website might be helpful to check if books are appropriate. kosherbooks.org

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:51 pm
Depending on your sensitivity level, I just heard about this series which may or may not be appropriate for your family but is good for those reading easy chapter books: http://simonandschusterpublish.....beck/

OutATowner

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:26 pm
For after the Henry and Mudge stage, Scholastic has a "branches" series that my kids loved. It is specifically to bridge to chapter books. They were fantastic. https://www.scholastic.com/branches

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:33 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
If you want old-fashioned books with good morals there is:

The Five Little Peppers and How they grew
Cheaper by the Dozen
Betsy-Tacy
Little House on the Prairie
Caddie Woodlawn
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
Heidi
Anne of Green Gables
Hans Brinker
Baby Island

Also, the American Girl series

These are at least 5th grade level. Not beginning chapter books at all.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:35 pm
Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:37 pm
Whoever mentioned Amber Brown, I think I remember those being right for this reading stage and sweet. And I came on here to add - don't know how I forgot in the first place - Menucha Fuchs has lovely beginning chapter books! We have "Shimmy's Cleanup Plan" and there are others on the same level. Chapters, engaging stories, but nice simple sentences with easier words. I really like these. I would estimate they are probably the Jewish equivalent of Henry and Mudge but I find the stories (in the Menucha ones) to be more engaging. We also have "Smile With Avigayil" which is like one level up if the simpler ones are below what you're looking for.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:19 am
seeker wrote:
Whoever mentioned Amber Brown, I think I remember those being right for this reading stage and sweet. And I came on here to add - don't know how I forgot in the first place - Menucha Fuchs has lovely beginning chapter books! We have "Shimmy's Cleanup Plan" and there are others on the same level. Chapters, engaging stories, but nice simple sentences with easier words. I really like these. I would estimate they are probably the Jewish equivalent of Henry and Mudge but I find the stories (in the Menucha ones) to be more engaging. We also have "Smile With Avigayil" which is like one level up if the simpler ones are below what you're looking for.

Great suggestions. Along with many others here.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:59 am
seeker wrote:
These are at least 5th grade level. Not beginning chapter books at all.

I know. I was responding to the poster who wanted books that are old-fashioned with good morals.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:09 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Depending on your sensitivity level, I just heard about this series which may or may not be appropriate for your family but is good for those reading easy chapter books: http://simonandschusterpublish.....beck/

Thanks. We are not extremely sensitive. I avoid books centered around non Jewish holidays, such as Halloween, but I wouldn't rule out a 50-page book about being a good friend on the basis of a single incidental mention of Halloween on page 37.

I also wouldn't necessarily rule out a book about witches or magic or super powers, unless it had heavy elements from another religion (like the hero defeating the bad witches with a crucifix or something).

I will avoid boy/girl romance plots, unless it's a super basic marriage plot where most of the story is focused elsewhere.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:11 am
we loved cheaper by the dozen! brings back lots of good memories!

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:13 am
I love the Russel and Elisa books by Johanna Hurwitz. They are so true-to-life Iaugh out loud, and kids can totally relate to them. Her Ali Baba Bernstein and Monty books are also great.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics