Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How much of these do you have

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:48 pm
Per child age 4-10.
Shabbos clothes
How many uniforms
How many pairs of tights/school socks,shabbos socks
How many Underwear
How many pjamas summer/winter
How many clothing when there is no school
How many sweaters, boots coats and jackets
Do u find less is better or more is better? Do you have less because of less storage space? Do you wish you had more? Do u buy alot of cheap clothes/shoes? Do you buy very little high fashion/quality clothes/shoes. Is your child always dressed appropriate rain boots heavy winter coat, mild winter coat spring jacket, summer rain coat? What was your best functional purchase that you spent extra on

Thank you an overwhelmed mom

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:10 pm
Shabbos clothes - One nice (read: expensive) one, one handmedown or otherwise cheaper one, plus Shabbos robe
How many uniforms - 5/6 shirts, 2/3 skirts
How many pairs of tights/school socks,shabbos socks - 6 pairs school tights, 2/3 pairs Shabbos tights
How many Underwear - a lot.. like 12 or more, because they came in a pack of 6, and 6 is too little, I would say 8 or 10 is perfect.
How many pjamas summer/winter - 3/4 pairs per season (I keep the other season pjs around for backup just in case, don't put away in basement with clothes)
How many clothing when there is no school - 2 (one nice one, one pullover that can be worn with uniform skirt (navy pleated)
How many sweaters, boots coats and jackets - One sweater, one rain jacket, one spring/fall jacket, one winter coat, one pair of boots
Do u find less is better or more is better? Less is generally better, as long as you keep on top of the laundry. I don't mean MUCH less, I mean approximately what I wrote above
Do you have less because of less storage space? No
Do you wish you had more? No
Do u buy alot of cheap clothes/shoes? No
Do you buy very little high fashion/quality clothes/shoes. No
Is your child always dressed appropriate rain boots heavy winter coat, mild winter coat spring jacket, summer rain coat? Yes
What was your best functional purchase that you spent extra on - I spend extra on a winter coat, on good quality shoes, and one Shabbos outfit. Everything else is much cheaper.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:19 pm
All depends on how often you do laundry. I think it is better to have less and medium to better quality (not necessarily high fashion) and do laundry more often. I personally have more than what I am recommending below, but some of it is useless because I have extra clothes that don't necessarily fit them or match something or they don't like. I think it is easier to keep things organized if you have just what you need and you do laundry at a set time so that you are sure you will have enough. Here are some rough estimates of what I think is a good idea.

Girls Shabbos - 2-3 outfits and a robe per season. In summer - one pair of sock to match each outfit and then a few neutral ones if something happens to the matchy one. In winter 1-2 pairs of tights per shabbos outfit and sometimes some extra black ones just in case.

Boys shabbos - 2-3 pants and 3-4 shirts. 2-3 pairs of shabbos socks

Girl Uniforms - 3 skirts and 7-10 tops (I keep 7 in rotation and then when they start getting stained or ratty or run out of laundry we dip into the extra 3). I also have 2 white rosh chodesh tops. 7-10 pairs of socks/tights

Boys school clothes - 5-7 pants and 7-10 tops. 2 rosh chodesh tops. 7-10 pairs of socks

Underwear - 7-10

Pajamas - 2 for each season (disclaimer - I don't wash each wear)

Non school winter clothes - boys wear the same as to school clothes. Girls 1-2 nicer ones for each season and a mix and match of 2 basic skirts with a few alternating tops to wear on sundays.

Non school summer clothes - girls 5 skirts and 10 t-shirts. boys 5 pants and 10 t-shirts.

One coat per kid. One lighter jacket per kid. One sweatshirt per kid. One pair of snow boots. I don't do rain boots.

Not a functional purchase, but I put dots (corresponding to number child) on label of clothes to make sorting and folding easier.
At the begingin of the winter season I go thruogh all previous winter stuff that I keep in a big bin and make sure each kid has what they need (gloves, scarf, hat). I am not good about refilling it during the school year when they lose their gloves. So to answer your question they are not always dressed appropriately with hats, scarf and gloves.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:23 pm
I have a 5 yr old and 3 year old
Shabbos clothes
3 outfits
How many uniforms
3 shirts, 3 jumpers, 1 sweater
How many pairs of tights- 5
school socks-5
shabbos socks-2
How many Underwear-10
How many pjamas summer/winter- 3 each

How many clothing when there is no school- 3 dresses/ outfits

How many sweaters- 1 boots - 1 coats -1 and jackets-1
Do u find less is better or more is better? Do you have less because of less storage space? Do you wish you had more? Do u buy alot of cheap clothes/shoes? Do you buy very little high fashion/quality clothes/shoes. Is your child always dressed appropriate rain boots heavy winter coat, mild winter coat spring jacket, summer rain coat? What was your best functional purchase that you spent extra on

A lot of this can be answered based on how many times a week you do laundry !!

Yes. I check the weather every morning and dress my kids appropriately. My best purchase was an ikea built in closet system that cost $250. It made a tremendous difference in my life. I only buy cheap if itll serve it purpose and not need to be replaced by something better. Ex: boots and raincoats are perfect from target. I don't buy hunter wellies and then find a cute pair in target for $15 and buy it cuz "why not " that is a waste of money and creates clutter...

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:52 pm
For coming winter season for my boys ages 7 & 8.
9 everday sets of clothes
2 shabbos sets

shabbos winter jacket wool look
everday puffer

For fall:
They have raincoat
quilted puffer vest with hood
bomber jacket with hood
wool shabbos jacket

For yom tov they will also still wear their shabbos spring outfits.

I buy inexpensive clothes, either in dept stores, online, or end of season, on sale, in local stores.

For 3 yr old girl
11 winter dresses for every day
some are hand me downs from relative.
She doesn't always have school like boys.
She gets dirty fast, she also can sometimes make accidents & needs change of clothes.

Shabbos
2 shabbos dresses for going out
1 long robe
1 dress for home

She has winter puffer, fuzzy faux fur jacket, for fall/winter shabbos, rain jacket, hooded puffer vest, bomber jacket for fall for every day.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:42 pm
Disclaimer: my girls (a drop older than the ages you are asking about-8 & 12) are not always so great about getting their stuff into the hamper right away and I generally refuse to do extra loads because something they ‘need’ wasn’t in the hamper when I did that load (I do laundry once a week generally). They are both capable of loading and running the washer & dryer so they can do it but I still tend to try to make sure they have a little more than they need so it doesn’t become a regular issue.
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Per child age 4-10.
Shabbos clothes—DD (12)who gets dressed every Shabbos -3 (and no Shabbos robe). dd (8) who doesn’t- Shabbos robe plus 1 or 2. Depending on the season/yr they might also have a much dressier outfit for weddings that they might wear on YT but wouldn’t necessarily be part of their Shabbos rotation.
How many uniforms—2 skirts each. 4-5 dark shirts each plus 1-2 white shirts for Rosh Chodesh/siyums
How many pairs of tights/school socks,shabbos socks—both wear the same sock size, we recently bought 2doz solid school color socks plus an assortment of other colors for Sundays/summer and some nicer whites/off whites blacks for Shabbos. They each also usually have 2-3 pairs of Shabbos tights (both have skin issues so they prefer socks but some outfits/occasions need tights)
How many Underwear—probably 8-10 would be enough but my dds have lots more than that
How many pjamas summer/winter—2-3 each that fit well and they basically like. They each also have 1 or more that are older/shortish/less liked to be used in case of necessity
How many clothing when there is no school—minimum of 2 outfits for winter 4-5 for summer
How many sweaters, boots coats and jackets—minimum one warm jacket, one warm sweatshirt, one pair winter boots. They each have additional sweatshirts/light jackets that they’ve accumulated (hand me downs/etc) but tend to use the basics much more and would manage if that’s all they had.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:17 pm
Thank you love all your schedule love for some more response. Was surprised at how many uniform shirts you have I have four. I thought that was alot. But it felt to little for me. Also how little tights/socks we have a sock monster in our house plus they after 1 months at least 2 pairs of tights need to be replaced for holes. Of course everyone needs to do what works for them but sometimes its also what is normal expectations

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:10 am
I don’t get why people have so many uniform shirts???? Don’t you do laundry?
I have 2 girls and it works fine with 2-3 shirts per child.

I used to get my girls 2 shabbos outfits.
Once we were invited to a shabbos bar mitzvah and they wore both outfits over fri night/ shabbos. There was a Sunday night affair and they didn’t want to wear their things again. Now I buy 3 per season.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:49 am
Per child age 4-10. (I have 6 kids, 4 fall in your age range).

Shabbos clothes - 2 new (not expensive) 1 from last year or handme down as backup. 1 Shabbos robe.
How many uniforms - 5 - 6 shirts (minimum) 3 skirts, 1 sweater, 1-2 Rosh Chodesh
How many pairs of tights/school socks,shabbos socks - 3 Shabbos socks, 10+ weekday
How many Underwear - 12+
How many pjamas summer/winter - 4-5
How many clothing when there is no school - winter 2 or 3. Summer - 6
How many sweaters, boots coats and jackets - 1 -2 sweatshirts (heavy). 1 coat. Some kids have raincoat.

I do laundry twice a week but try to have enough in case I miss one day.

I don’t spend a lot of money on clothing only because I don’t feel it’s important. As it is my clothing bills are huge.

Some things you need enough for 9 days, chol hamoed (underwear, socks) so I make sure to have a lot of those.

I find the kids don’t need a lot of coats. A warm sweatshirt takes care of most situations. They don’t like wearing anything if it’s not cold enough anyways. I also feel there is always an old sweatshirt in the house that will fit them as backup.

My girls in uniform aren’t growing so fast so often there is clothing that fits them from year before.

I like to hand 5 uniform shirts in case laundry mud missed. I can get them for $7 at children’s place so it’s not a huge investment.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:35 am
My kids have a ton of everything. I get very overwhelmed and confused by the shopping and end up buying a lot more then I need and missing a few things exactly when I need them. I was actually thinking this morning that I’m not really sure what my 12 year old has for shabbos. I’m not sure if his suit from pesach fits. He has two dress pants that I bought him in the summer, but I don’t think he has any blazers that still fit to go with them. I have a few white shirts but I think they need to be replaced because the cuffs are dirty from the summer. I’m not sure if his shabbos shoes fit either. I’m getting overwhelmed just thinking about it. My 10 year old on the other hand I bought one suit and one pair of pants and one white shirt so far. In his closet is hanging probably 6-8 more pairs of shabbos pants. All from last year or hand me downs from his brother. I’m not sure any of them fit in which case I need to give them away and buy some more. Same thing with blazers. He has like 4. All hand me downs from my big one. But I’m not sure if any fit. Ok. I better stop typing and figure this out.😬

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:00 am
Shabbos clothes- 2 (but not new each season)
How many uniforms- we dont have. I'd probably do 3.
How many pairs of tights/school socks,shabbos socks- 10 and 5 shabbos
How many Underwear 10
How many pjamas summer/winter 4
How many clothing when there is no school we don't have uniforms but if we did, I'd probably have 3
How many sweaters, boots coats and jackets 3 sweaters, 1 of everything else. No Shabbos version. No raincoat.
Do u find less is better or more is better? Less
Do you have less because of less storage space? No
Do you wish you had more? No
Do u buy alot of cheap clothes/shoes? I'll only buy sale items for kids
Do you buy very little high fashion/quality clothes/shoes. No
Is your child always dressed appropriate rain boots heavy winter coat, mild winter coat spring jacket, summer rain coat? Usually
What was your best functional purchase that you spent extra on n/a

Last edited by amother on Sat, Jan 02 2021, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:00 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
My kids have a ton of everything. I get very overwhelmed and confused by the shopping and end up buying a lot more then I need and missing a few things exactly when I need them. I was actually thinking this morning that I’m not really sure what my 12 year old has for shabbos. I’m not sure if his suit from pesach fits. He has two dress pants that I bought him in the summer, but I don’t think he has any blazers that still fit to go with them. I have a few white shirts but I think they need to be replaced because the cuffs are dirty from the summer. I’m not sure if his shabbos shoes fit either. I’m getting overwhelmed just thinking about it. My 10 year old on the other hand I bought one suit and one pair of pants and one white shirt so far. In his closet is hanging probably 6-8 more pairs of shabbos pants. All from last year or hand me downs from his brother. I’m not sure any of them fit in which case I need to give them away and buy some more. Same thing with blazers. He has like 4. All hand me downs from my big one. But I’m not sure if any fit. Ok. I better stop typing and figure this out.😬

I get like this too. I think part of the problem is that my kids despise trying on clothes to see if they fit. So on one hand the closet is full. One the other hand they really might have nothing to wear!

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:27 am
Haha mommy3b2c I'm going through that now. I have too much of some things, too little of others, and no idea for the rest. That's why this thread seems like a great idea, maybe organized people can educate the rest of us - though I still need to go through all the closets and storage and reassess what's going on there. Which of course I did a few months ago but somehow that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

In general, I prefer to have more things and do laundry less often. I hate doing laundry, if you do it too often it eats up so much time. We are a small family (3 people) so I can easily fit at least a week's worth of clothes into one round of laundry. I also use a shared laundry room (like a laundromat in my building) so I have access to larger machines that are more cost-effective than smaller machines. So both in money and convenience, it pays for me to have more clothes and wash them less often. So we have a LOT of
socks/tights and underwear, undershirts - about 2 weeks' worth per person.
Uniform shirts - about a week's worth per person, 5-6 I guess. And 2 white shirts each for those 2-day rosh chodeshes.
Uniform skirts/jumpers - 3 each just to be on the safe side.
Shabbos clothes - ideally one robe and two outfits per child, but I usually end up with more because of hand-me-downs and as much as I'm low on space I hate to get rid of something nice that we like, especially for older DD because I want to make sure something will still be in good condition for younger DD and you can't predict what will end up fitting her. But I really need to purge because I'm really running out of space.
Weekday clothes - a bunch of t-shirts because summer, but after the summer I usually put away anything more than 5, which is still more than needed but the kids like to have choices, which is legitimate. Skirts - whatever I happen to have, one kid has too little because I just didn't find anything nice in her size (actually "nice" is subjective. I mean I couldn't find anything we BOTH thought was nice.) A couple of nicer tops for if we're actually going somewhere.
Shells - a bunch. One of those things I never seem to have the "just right" amount of. They also get worn out at different rates.
Pajamas - another thing I never seem to get "just right." Ideally I'd say 3 per kid but somehow younger DD ended up with a whole pile and is having a hard time parting with any. And then 1-2 warmer PJ, during the winter the heat is on so we don't usually get that cold.
Sweaters - 2 uniform, 1-2 regular, but I seem to always have too many regular because they get them as gifts or hand-me-downs and it's another of those things that I feel like I shouldn't give away just yet because it can't hurt to have just in case, again especially for older DD because I will need some to stay nice for younger DD.
Outerwear - warm winter coat and one light thing that doubles as both rain and wind jacket. I don't worry too much about raincoat being waterproof, if it's really pouring then hopefully you have an umbrella.

Re fashion/quality I generally go for medium. I like my kids to look put together and I don't want to have to replace clothes before they're outgrown, and I'm not skilled at Ali or whatever to do that on the really cheap. But I'm also not up for spending a lot on things that will get dirty and outgrown too fast.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:45 am
I also noticed that no one mentioned having more than one shabbos .
I dont know if this is my best purchase, plus It may depend where you live, but having 2 shabbos robes is a life saver, for those 3 day yom tov, for the summer shabbos. I found it to be more important than every day playclothes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:48 am
Double post.

dankbar

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:52 am
to the people that end up with too much from one/ too little from other....a good idea would be to go through the closet/ wardrobe, try on everything from last year, figure out what can be passed down, see who has what, write down what's still missing, a pants matching to that top etc..even if you don't write down but you have a mental note at least, this child outgrew everything from last year & needs new stuff whatever....do that all before you start your shopping.
If you just end up buying something every time you see something cute...you end up with too much.
I also ended up with too many dresses for my dgtr for coming season, because I bought end of season last year for this year, last year when she started school she would come home wet or have couple accidents at home after she came home from school, seems like she kept in & didn't use the facilities in school. I would change her few times a day, so I thought I would need lots of dresses for her. This year hopefully she will not do it, so there's no need for so many dresses.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 2:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Per child age 4-10.
Shabbos clothes - 2 outfits + 2 robes.
I buy a new one / get a new handmedown each season the second one is from last year. Even though they grow fast now, I hem up/ let it down.

How many uniforms - my kids school doesn't have a uniform so it's all outfits. 7-8 weekday total.
How many pairs of tights/school -
I by a dozen (cheaper this way) begining of the season and when I don't have enough -they tear, pimple- between washs I get more.
socks,shabbos socks - my kids only wear tights weekday. (School rules. As soon as they start school I stick to it during off days too. This way there is no struggle "but I want to wear socks today!") Shabbos is a different sorry.
How many Underwear - about 10
How many pjamas summer/winter - summer 7 including one special shabbos one. They change every night /after every bathso. That's 6 baths a week + one extra. Winter depends on the child. One kid has 5. Change after every bath. 4× a week. Plus in extra. The other kid has 7. She sleeps with a. Pullup and so she changed every day. The pj's smell....

How many clothing when there is no school - same as school. See above

How many sweaters, boots coats and jackets - 1 other each. Snow boots. Can pass for rain. We live in a place where we need to take a bus or car. Nothing is within walking distance so rain boots is just extra.
Do u find less is better or more is better? Do you have less because of less storage space? Do you wish you had more? - I buy what I need. I don't like lots of extra /clutter.

Do u buy alot of cheap clothes/shoes? Do you buy very little high fashion/quality clothes/shoes. - non. I buy what I need and I try to find affordable.
My oldest is very hard on her shoes. No matter the price and quality it'll be trash in a few weeks. If it's high quality it might last 2 more weeks..... so we buy cheap. She probably has 5-6 pairs per year. The little one can pass with 2-3.
For clothing, I have siblings with kids sizes that coordinates with mine. And they aee very into matchy-matchy So I get lots of handmedowns matching both girls. Including coats, robes, Pj's and shabbos and vochen outfits.
Is your child always dressed appropriate rain boots heavy winter coat, mild winter coat spring jacket, summer rain coat? - yes. Except summer rain coats. I had that one year ans they didnt like wearing it. So much more fun getting wet. Lol.
Shawls, I have a few basic ones and target has a really cute on on sale last year. I got 5 of those! At $2.50 a pc.... it still fits and looKS nice. And matches their coats this year too. Washes very well too.
What was your best functional purchase that you spent extra on.
Hair accessories. They make a huge differece.
And outerwear is something I'd spend on if I didn't have what I really like (the ones my kids have now I actually chose. As my sister had asked me to shop for her.... lol)
Outerwear is something they wear every day. And needs to be warm.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 2:57 pm
Shabbos clothing sets = 2-3
Shabbos robe = 1
Underwear = 12 pairs
Pajamas = 6
Winter coat = 1
Jacket for spring/summer/works w rain = 1
Sweatshirts = 2
Socks/tight = as many as clothes
Weekday clothes = 6-10 or 3 uniform skirts + 5 shirts

2 more weekday sets that I reserve for off days that don't get used on school days. They don't need to be expensive or elaborate. I just find that the kids are hard on their clothes and if I buy less than that toward the end of the season I have nothing presentable to clothe them in (especially if I don't reserve 2 outfits for out of school, I'm left with no options for everyday parties and occasions).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics