Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seeking BY seminary
Previous  1  2

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 5:49 pm
Can someone here who has a daughter who is a senior at a BY school get OP the list from their Israel guidance program?

YU has a list of seminaries online, but I don't think they would be appropriate for your DD.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:48 pm
Any chance you, your husband, someone you know may be able to go to the seminaries in the next couple of months and visit and see in person what they are about? That's what principals usually do to guide their students...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:08 am
My plan is to go to Israel and visit the sems. I just wanted to narrow it down a bit.
I went to michlalah many years ago but they brainwashed me there and I'm bringing up BY girls! I mean that in the best possible way. I stayed 2 years, the place totally transformed me, was amazing, I still thrive from having been there.
But my kids are growing up different to me so although my girls go to the BY school here, it's still slightly alien to me and choosing a seminary when there is such a choice is proving difficult.... to put it mildly!
Can anyone tell me anything about any of the seminaries that I listed? Or give me a contact?
Anyone out there???
Thanks for info about Binas, that's helpful.
Also a few of you have mentioned BYA. Can you tell me what's their approach, what stands out about the place? Warmth? Type of girl that goes there? Shiurim? Personal guidance? Anything else?
Thank you!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:04 am
Mesoras Rochel is extremely academic, high workload, and hard to get into, so probably not the best fit. Bnos Sara classes are all in Hebrew, and it's also quite academic and a lot of work. I'm not as familiar with some of the others you mentioned, but hopefully that will help you at least eliminate 2 of the options.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:13 am
maybe you could call nevey, explain your situation, and get a rundown from them on some of the different BY sems and get some suggestions as to a good fit for your DD

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Also a few of you have mentioned BYA. Can you tell me what's their approach, what stands out about the place? Warmth? Type of girl that goes there? Shiurim? Personal guidance? Anything else?
Thank you!

Hi. I have a married sister who went to BYA and a sister there now. I cant tell u about the classes or the guidance but in terms of the girls and the atmosphere- I think id describe it best as low pressure. Doesnt attract a very high end or in town-y crowd. The environment is more laid paid (as laid back as a sem can be- over all its an intense year because a lot of girls are figuring out who they are as individuals away from home)
Most girls arent so high strung about their school work.. but both my sisters are very refined and tznius....

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:39 pm
Thank you for this new info coming in. This is really helping now. Really appreciate. I'm still welcoming some info about bnos Batsheva. Does anyone know anything about Rebbetzin Hellers sem? I think it's another new one called bnos avigail?
Thanks again everyone

syrima

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:53 pm
My dd went to Bnos Avigail recently and had a very good experience.
They had girls from Mexico and other countries.
You can PM me for more info.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:40 pm
Bnos Avigail: my daughters friends went there and this is what I’ve heard. It’s very friendly, hardworking seminary. The girls are both in town and OOT however not snobs in any way. The accommodation isn’t great however the lessons are fantastic. More on the intense side, the girls aren’t guided one-on-one but rather as a group.
It’s pretty intense. They work till 10.30/11pm and rebetzin heller expects no nonsense from them. It’s very much for girls who have worked hard and want a serious seminary.

As for warm sems I would recommend looking into binas, or chemdas. But please also remember that despite the stereotypical types of girls going, very often it’s not the case and it’s actually very different.

(Would someone mind to post their experience on bnos chava? My friends daughter is looking into it. Thanks)

I would recommend calling up people you know and asking them what they did for seminaries etc. The more people you speak to the better understanding you’ll have.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:42 pm
"As for warm sems I would recommend looking into binas, or chemdas. But please also remember that despite the stereotypical types of girls going, very often it’s not the case and it’s actually very different."

What do you mean by stereotypical girls that go there? Sorry as you can see I'm clueless!!
Can you tell me more about Binas and Chemdas?
I got some more info about bnos avigail and from what I heard I think it lacks the warmth and personal attention my daughter would need to thrive and get the most out of her year.
Thanks again everyone, my nails are slowly beginning to grow back😁

1ofbillions

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
"As for warm sems I would recommend looking into binas, or chemdas. But please also remember that despite the stereotypical types of girls going, very often it’s not the case and it’s actually very different."

What do you mean by stereotypical girls that go there? Sorry as you can see I'm clueless!!
Can you tell me more about Binas and Chemdas?
I got some more info about bnos avigail and from what I heard I think it lacks the warmth and personal attention my daughter would need to thrive and get the most out of her year.
Thanks again everyone, my nails are slowly beginning to grow back😁

My sister went to Binas recently, and absolutely loved it. It’s a very warm, out of towny seminary.

You can pm me with questions.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:26 pm
I had mentioned BYA earlier and I think it’s a good fit. (I had a similar experience to you in seminary so I get it Smile ). My DD did not end up choosing BYA, but I was at their open house and I was very impressed. The girls that I know that went there love it. The girls are nice and down to earth. Solid frum. They Come from all over. The principal is very warm and caring, easy to talk to. They allow the girls Some choices in their classes which is not common in a BY They have a few academic levels to accommodate different girls. I think the fact that they have had lots of Europeans is a very good thing. Your DD will feel more comfortable.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:58 am
What’s chemdas like?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:54 am
Aix les bains?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics