Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dye from pharmacy bad for wig??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:29 pm
Wanna dye my own wig. What are the downsides? So expensive to do it professionally

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:40 pm
I've done it many times. Unfortunately this time I was "smart" and went darker that I like, thinking it would oxidize and I would not have to do it too soon again. Now it is too dark and I hate it.
But that is my own fault.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:41 pm
My sis n law dyed her wig with cheap dye and it looks absolutely awful, like shiny plastic.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:18 pm
There isn't much difference between a quality dye at the pharmacy and the dye that is used by professionals. There can be a difference in technique.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:21 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
There isn't much difference between a quality dye at the pharmacy and the dye that is used by professionals. There can be a difference in technique.

Thanks
Which dye is good? Clairol?

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:22 pm
I used a better quality hair dye for my wig. I thought it came out fabulous. I used L'Oréal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:25 pm
Squishy wrote:
I used a better quality hair dye for my wig. I thought it came out fabulous. I used L'Oréal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color.

Thanks did you use any techniques bedsides following package instructions?

applesbananas

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:29 pm
Im a SM and I reccomend this to anyone who doesnt want to spend money dying their wig. The worse that can happen is that the scalp gets splotchy stains. Buy a spooly (mascara wand) and do the top carefully. Otherwise er on the of caution and dont go darker- wigs take color very well usually!
Any company is fine - they are pretty similar to one another. Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:31 pm
applesbananas wrote:
Im a SM and I reccomend this to anyone who doesnt want to spend money dying their wig. The worse that can happen is that the scalp gets splotchy stains. Buy a spooly (mascara wand) and do the top carefully. Otherwise er on the of caution and dont go darker- wigs take color very well usually!
Any company is fine - they are pretty similar to one another. Good luck!

Thanks so much!! Do you do the rooting and highlights at the same time?

applesbananas

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks so much!! Do you do the rooting and highlights at the same time?

Hilights should be done by a professional. Only brave this if youre ok with one flat color wig...

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks did you use any techniques bedsides following package instructions?

Nothing special. I followed the instructions.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:56 pm
Start with the top since it is more oxidized and if you run out, the bottom isn’t noticeable. I used L’Oréal excellence, it was enough for my sheitel, shoulder length.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:18 pm
I dyed my own shaitel a few times - used Revlon. Came out great.

to get "high lights" I used a comb and picked up Very thin strands on the front half
of the shaitel. I twisted them together and put a bobby pin to hold. Then I dyed the rest of the shaitel darker (it oxidized). When done, the undyed strands were the "high lights" - a lighter shade than the rest of the shaitel.

But I notice that home-dyes don't last as long as the original color the shaitel came in. Don't know how that compares to shaitel-macher dye jobs as I always did it myself.

Do you have an old shaitel or can borrow one? than you can try out how your
DIY dye job comes out.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:21 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I dyed my own shaitel a few times - used Revlon. Came out great.

to get "high lights" I used a comb and picked up Very thin strands on the front half
of the shaitel. I twisted them together and put a bobby pin to hold. Then I dyed the rest of the shaitel darker (it oxidized). When done, the undyed strands were the "high lights" - a lighter shade than the rest of the shaitel.

But I notice that home-dyes don't last as long as the original color the shaitel came in. Don't know how that compares to shaitel-macher dye jobs as I always did it myself.

Do you have an old shaitel or can borrow one? than you can try out how your
DIY dye job comes out.

Thanks did you use a highlighting kit? Or regular color?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:28 pm
I once dyed a shaitel myself and it turned into a knot ball. I had to dump it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:55 pm
Used Loreal right before giving it in for a wash.
Bought one shade darker than my intended color. It's perfect !

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:58 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Used Loreal right before giving it in for a wash.
Bought one shade darker than my intended color. It's perfect !

Are you a straight color? No highlights?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:15 pm
Sm speaking here.
#1 mistake is applying the dye horizontally! Never do that it looks awful. Follow directions of the hair vertically.
#2 do not leave dye on hair as long as it says on the box.(unless you're black,then it doesn't really make a difference!)That's for grey hair not for processed sheitel hair!
#3 only do it if you don't mind taking a risk( if it's your first time doing it, you don't know how it will come out!)

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:26 pm
The first time I did it it was a bomb . There were parts I accidentally left out. After that I’ve done it many times without a hitch. But the color was one color. I didn’t do highlights. It’s really important to use the conditioning cream that comes with the dye kit and follow all the instructions. I once forgot the conditioning part and the wig was dull and knotty. Otherwise when I followed the directions it worked beautifully. Make sure to wear clothes that can get ruined. Gloves that come with the kit and cover your working area with a disposable plastic table cloth.
I’ve used Garnier Olia

Last edited by thunderstorm on Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:26 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Sm speaking here.
#1 mistake is applying the dye horizontally! Never do that it looks awful. Follow directions of the hair vertically.
#2 do not leave dye on hair as long as it says on the box.(unless you're black,then it doesn't really make a difference!)That's for grey hair not for processed sheitel hair!
#3 only do it if you don't mind taking a risk( if it's your first time doing it, you don't know how it will come out!)

Thanks! What do I do about a sheitel that has a dark base and many different color highlights and the whole thing got lighter. What order do I do it in?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics