Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Before or after breakfast?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:24 am
When does your child get dressed/when do you dress them. Before or after breakfast?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:17 am
Depends on how messy of an eater they are!

Advantage to clothes before breakfast: psychological feeling of almost ready to go, big fight over with so rest of morning smoother.

Advantage of pajamas at breakfast: sometimes easier to get kids to the table if no clothes fight earlier, after eating they might be more cooperative, and no worries if they splash on their shirt.

There is no one right answer - do what works for you!

glamourmom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:17 am
I try to get them to eat before they get dressed. pajamas go in the hamper and clothes stay clean a bit longer.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:19 am
before -- what must get done gets done first then they know how much time they can take to eat and its more relaxed

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:26 am
before- kids can't go to school in pajamas. Yds eats until his bus comes so he won't have time to get dressed if he eats first (he's up before 6 every day- he just eats a lot). Also, on Shabbos, food is a bribe to get yds into shabbos clothes. He has autism and used to hate wearing shabbos shirts. Now he knows that as soon as he's dressed for Shabbos, he could have kugel. His shirts get filthy, but at least he's dressed.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:29 am
I do shifts. For my oldest two (4,8) they get dressed first and breakfast second. My toddler eats breakfast with the big kids but I dont dress him until after I take them to school. Otherwise its too stressful for me.

keym

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:31 am
Before.
Worse case scenario, breakfast is "on the run" bag of cereal, yogurts, glass of milk, granola bar while waiting for bus or on the bus.
We do nonnegotiable first.

Wife1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:40 am
Before they can always eat on the bus

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:44 am
Depends when they get up or how hungry they are. But I do like when they get dressed first thing in the morning. My girls like to take their time getting dressed.

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:52 am
Before. Our pyjamas get used multiple days a week.

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:04 am
Out of diapers and dressed, then breakfast

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:23 am
After.
I don’t want them leaving the house with dirty clothes. Can always give new pajamas later on.

And yes it’s annoying for them to have to go back upstairs and get dressed. But having food and toothpaste and their clothes (they will just leave like that) is worse.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:27 am
wake up 15 minutes earlier ~ this way they can eat relaxed in pajamas & still have time to get dressed without chaos

Teomima

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:32 pm
Before. Like others said, they can always eat on the way. The same can't be said for getting dressed.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:46 pm
Before for everyone other than babies. That way we are done upstairs and once we come down, there is no need to go back up. Teeth get brushed before breakfast.

For babies, I bring the clothing downstairs with me and change diaper/get them dressed right before I leave the house.

The only one who doesn't follow this rule is me! I will sometimes put on a robe and then go back upstairs to get dressed after the kids are ready, especially if I have a meeting at work and need to be more dressed up and don't want to the kids to make me dirty.

lcraighten

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:49 am
Before breakfast during the week, but shabbos and sunday usually after
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children