Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do you believe in zodiac signs?
1  2  Next

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:57 pm
Do you believe in them? Just curious. I have loads of friends that are into them and lately I've gotten into them too. With the closest people in my life, DH, and close friends and myself I completely see them in the descriptions of their sign.

What do you think?

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:50 pm
Nope

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:51 pm
Jews are above the stars.
Our mazel is not determined by astrology B"H.
no.

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:54 pm
Do I think mazalot exist? Yes.

But there is also a Talmudic concept that Jews are naturally outside nature, ie unbound by any Mazal - unless we choose to work within that system. I prefer to stay outside of it and function according to a mutable fate based purely on my relationship with G-d.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:56 pm
No but I put up politely with the idiots who believe. I once had a sweet co-worker who actually did my full astrological chart.

The characteristics and predictions are about as accurate as a Chinese fortune cookie. I guarantee that you could jumble up the "characteristics" and they would seem just as "accurate" just like the Chinese charts would do - I think I am the year of the horse - at least that is what I remember from the place mat at a Chinese restaurant a while back :-).

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:57 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Jews are above the stars.
Our mazel is not determined by astrology B"H.
no.

Not necessarily like mazel and horoscopes and the future etc.

I mean the basic zodiac signs define a certain personality, and certain traits those people struggle and excel with. I find that to be very accurate for me.

In addition there are articles that explain who 2 different signs would act in a friendship or marriage and what their struggles would be and how they can learn from each other - and again I find these articles very insightful and accurate.

That's as far as my knowledge on these subjects goes.

Kind of like how I view the enneagram or other personality theories. At the same time when it comes to these things I'm very much so of the opinion that if it's insightful for you - great. If you don't find yourself in it, than that's cool too. I don't think everyone should and will connect to the different descriptions and they're not accurate for everyone. I just found in my life it is in the people I know very well.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:22 pm
I see a lot of similarities in people's signs in regards to their personality traits. People can choose to change their personalities, so nothing is carved in stone. I think it can be a useful jumping off point for an interesting conversation.

I absolutely do NOT believe that the stars foretell our future, and it is against Torah do engage in any kind of fortune telling activities.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:24 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Not necessarily like mazel and horoscopes and the future etc.

I mean the basic zodiac signs define a certain personality, and certain traits those people struggle and excel with. I find that to be very accurate for me.

In addition there are articles that explain who 2 different signs would act in a friendship or marriage and what their struggles would be and how they can learn from each other - and again I find these articles very insightful and accurate.

That's as far as my knowledge on these subjects goes.

Kind of like how I view the enneagram or other personality theories. At the same time when it comes to these things I'm very much so of the opinion that if it's insightful for you - great. If you don't find yourself in it, than that's cool too. I don't think everyone should and will connect to the different descriptions and they're not accurate for everyone. I just found in my life it is in the people I know very well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....ology

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:24 pm
No

The acquarii I know are very different, for example.

I mean yeah leos tend to be jerks but otherwise... no.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:26 pm
sequoia wrote:
No

sniffle.

hodeez

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:08 pm
Nope nope nope nope.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:29 pm
“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves, that we are underlings.”

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:40 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
sniffle.

Sending vitual <<<hugs>>> to Leo Indigo.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:26 pm
There have been scientific studies of leaders in government, business, and other groups where people probably have more similar than different personalities. And all of the tests showed...

NOTHING.

That being said, astrology seems to be a lost art, yet it obviously could tell people valid information. Remember when Paroh’s servants said that the Jewish leader will come from water? I’m certain that there’s meaning to the zodiac signs, and equally certain that virtually nobody these days can accurately reveal any useful information from them.

What I find fascinating is this: astronomers can predict the movement of the planets and stars for hundreds of years in advance. There are accurate mathematical and scientific ways to get this information. So, how did looking at the stars’ positions, determine information? To me, that’s like reading a measuring tape and gleaning information. Clearly, we know that 150 will follow 149 on the tape measure, so if what use could it be to look at something entirely predictable to seek new information???

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:39 pm
sequoia wrote:

Ah, well. I love you too.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:31 pm
I think that in biblical times, whatever predictions (not nevua, but astrologers of Paroh etc) came true were happenstance, but the ones that didn't come true weren't recorded.

I think that in modern times, we understand that the motions of stars and planets are controlled by the laws of physics, and have nothing to do with personality. This one being stronger in the sky than that one depends on a) where on earth you are, b) where in the solar system you are, and c) where in the galaxy or the universe you are.

And that people are complex, so if something describes them as having a certain trait, we look for and will find signs of it, but that's no real indication.

grace413

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:03 am
sequoia wrote:
No

And I thought we were friends.......

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:39 am
Ancient shuls in Tzippori, Beit Alfa and Teveria have mosaics of the zodiac. These may have been representative of the calendar, but it's more likely as a way of showing that Hashem controls the heavens.

The Rambam refers to signs of the zodiac in Hilchos Kiddush Hachodesh as well. Not for predicting the future, but for understanding the position of the moon.

And of course, whenever you say מזל אדר דגים
you refer to Pisces, which is in February and
most of March.

(Edited a typo.)

EsaEinai

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:46 am
sequoia wrote:
No

Ouch!! Leo here!

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:16 am
Rappel wrote:
Do I think mazalot exist?

No.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics