Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dye from pharmacy bad for wig??
Previous  1  2

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:32 pm
OP -- if this is a sheital that is an older one you do not care so much about, doing it at home (provided you have some experience coloring hair) is possible but risky still in terms of end results.

1. you can ONLY color PURE HUMAN HAIR. if there is any mixture of synthetic with it or it is synthetic, it's for a disaster. ***if this is an expensive sheital, go to a PROFESSIONAL***

2. you can only change hair color (to darker or lighter) that is natural/virgin (undyed) with box color or professional color. once hair has been colored, you can ONLY MAKE IT DARKER. it CANNOT be lightened without bleach. these are universal hair coloring rules. I am a professional so please take what I am saying important (and true).

once hair has been colored, you cannot lighten it with dyes. think of it like painting a wall. any color you put on top will be a mixture of the desired color and the base. the only way to "erase" is by bleaching and that can damage the hair if you do not do it correctly. to also get the correct desired lighter color, you have to lift to the right level and deal with the underlying pigments which are usually warm. it can be complicated and if you don't know what you are doing, you can get some very bad results. to add back the correct color to hightlights, you need to use what is called a toner (a weak peroxide level color).

3. permanent color only means you have permanently changed the pigment cells in the hair. it does not mean it permanently stays the color you use; over time it will get lighter due to factors like washing it, use of "hot tools" (blow dryer, flat iron, curling wands), being out in the sun, products put on it, etc.

4. it is possible to change the tone of your sheital, even if it has been previously dyed. like from regular basic brown (which we call natural in hairdressing) to, say for example, copper brown, golden brown etc. it all has to be on the same level. dark to dark, medium to medium or light to light. you can go darker however in this case, not lighter. so from a light brown to a medium or even dark brown. the dark will be VERY VERY dark though. so be careful with that. even medium can end up dark. remember you are adding color over color if you sheital is already dyed.

in the end, I repeat, if this is a sheital you really care about or it is expensive and you can't afford to replace, best advise is go to a professional.

hatzlocha.

eta: as others have said, you can always pull out meches (strands) of the original color of your sheital and "fake highlight" that way as a cheat.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks did you use a highlighting kit? Or regular color?

No highlighting kit. My shaitel got too light, so I dyed it dark brown. But first I picked out with a comb thin strands of hair from the front half which I twisted and pinned on top, so it did not get dyed. These were my highlights.

But you could highlight by buying a dye two shades lighter than your shaitel and picking out thin strands to highlight. Have to be careful not to get the dye on the rest of the shaitel. There are dye kits that have a shower cap with holes - you pull out strands from the holes and the rest of the hair is protected from the dye by the shower cap.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:38 pm
I have dyed several wigs, of all different colors.

The ONLY dye I will ever use, is Clairol Natural Instincts.

Most dyes area level 3, which uses very harsh chemicals. Natural Instincts is a level 2, which is considered "semi permanent". It lets the highlights come through, and tones down brassiness and sun bleaching, without making the whole wig look like one flat color.

Oh, and the conditioner smells amazing! I wish I could just get a big bottle of it to use all the time.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 7:08 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
No highlighting kit. My shaitel got too light, so I dyed it dark brown. But first I picked out with a comb thin strands of hair from the front half which I twisted and pinned on top, so it did not get dyed. These were my highlights.

But you could highlight by buying a dye two shades lighter than your shaitel and picking out thin strands to highlight. Have to be careful not to get the dye on the rest of the shaitel. There are dye kits that have a shower cap with holes - you pull out strands from the holes and the rest of the hair is protected from the dye by the shower cap.

This only works if the hair is virgin and was never colored.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics