Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Warsaw poland
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:19 pm
Hi! I am traveling to Israel and I wanted to stop off in Poland for a day to tour a little
I have 3 kids 3,5 8.

Is there anything interesting to do there? What can I do there? Anyone been there and can advise me?

Thanks!

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:27 pm
We once had a 6 or 8 hour stopover there and went to the Jewish attractions there: several remnants of the Warsaw Ghetto, the old Jewish cemetery where the Netzvi and Rav Chaim Brisker are buried, an amazing museum of the history of Jews in Poland, and the shul.

It was a small town and everything was close together, and only about 30 minutes from the airport. We got lucky to find an English-speaking taxi driver who knew where everything was, and he drove us around for about 4.5 hours for about $65 total. But given the age of your kids, they're probably too young to appreciate most of it. I believe there's also one or more kosher restaurants there, but we didn't have time to go to them.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:27 pm
March of the living like / Jewish history touring or amusement park/science museum?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:56 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
March of the living like / Jewish history touring or amusement park/science museum?

WADR...an amusement park in Poland???

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:57 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
WADR...an amusement park in Poland???

Why not?

You know people live there, right?

Americans...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:03 pm
sequoia wrote:
Why not?

You know people live there, right?

Americans...

I think PinkFridge means why visit an amusement park in Poland? Waste of an opportunity to see the old country and some people don't want to spend frivolous time on blood soaked soil either.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:25 pm
You can go see sara sarah schenirers home in warsaw

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:30 pm
My point was what is she looking to do in Poland? Entertain her kids and have a nice day? Or have a Jewish history education?
Poland would not be on my personal list place of places to take small children. I would either not have a stop over and spend the extra day in EY or stop in London or Paris.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:32 pm
Thank you everyone, very helpful.
So how far is Sara shneier house From the airport?

Doctor ima how old were your children when you went
And do you think it will be too scary for the kids?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:34 pm
My point was what is she looking to do in Poland? Entertain her kids and have a nice day? Or have a Jewish history education?
Poland would not be on my personal list place of places to take small children. I would either not have a stop over and spend the extra day in EY or stop in London or Paris.

My point is that I myself would really enjoy it! I would love to see all these historic places and Poland was cheaper option for me on my itinerary!! Maybe I'll try those other countries though

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:54 pm

People were taken to concentration camps in Paris too. Doesn't stop people enjoying Eurodisney.

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you everyone, very helpful.
So how far is Sara shneier house From the airport?

Doctor ima how old were your children when you went
And do you think it will be too scary for the kids?

When we went, my youngest was 5. There's nothing scary about any of it. If you don't know what you're looking at (e.g. some of the remaining walls that surrounded the Warsaw Ghetto), it won't look like much of anything. It may not be interesting, but it won't be scary.

My youngest was a little bored, but we brought some stuff to distract so that the rest of us could experience it. I think your 8-year-old will be able to get some of it, and an old shul can still be appreciated by all of them.

Also, davening at the kevarim of the Netziv and Rav Chaim Brisker will become meaningful when they get older and learn more about them. They're buried together in the same ohel. Important: make sure you request the key to it at the front entrance, because otherwise, it's locked, and it's a good 10-15 minute walk back to the entrance to retrieve it if you don't have it!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:44 pm
Thank you!

How far is the ghetto, kvarim Sara shneier house From the airport.

Also what' do u see in Sara shneier house?

Batsheva1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:23 pm
Sara Schnirer was from Krakow, not Warsaw... just sayin... Krakow is several hours from Warsaw. As far as visiting Warsaw for the day, I suggest looking on TripAdvisor for things to do for young kids. Jewish wise it's mainly Polin Museum, the ghetto, the Noysik shul, and the cemetery.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:26 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
Sara Schnirer was from Krakow, not Warsaw... just sayin... Krakow is several hours from Warsaw. As far as visiting Warsaw for the day, I suggest looking on TripAdvisor for things to do for young kids. Jewish wise it's mainly Polin Museum, the ghetto, the Noysik shul, and the cemetery.

Thank you, tHt was very helpful.
I would rather start by getting ideas from people who have actually been there

Have you been there?
I'm thinking to go to
1 the shul
2 ghetto
3 cemetery
4 restaurant
Is this realistic?

Can anyone help me out with how long the drive is from the airport to these places? Or anything else?

doctorima

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 4:57 pm
As I said, the Jewish attractions were about 30 minutes from the airport, maybe even a drop less, and are all about 5 minutes from one another. From when we left the airport until we got back I believe was 4-4.5 hours, which included about 45 minutes at the cemetery (lots of walking), 1.25 hours at the museum, 20-30 minutes at the shul, and a few shorter stops for remnants of the ghetto, though we didn't go the restaurant.

If you go to Google maps and type in the names of the places you want to go, you'll get a better sense of where they're located and how to use your time. For more info, check out the Dansdeals thread on Poland, where I believe there's also an email address for a local driver somebody used (he was booked on the day we needed him): https://forums.dansdeals.com/I.....592.0

Batsheva1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:04 pm
I have been to Warsaw and I can't see what children your children's age would get out of it. It wouldn't be enjoyable for you either, because you'd be shlepping around 3 miserable kids. Since you asked, the cemetery is right in the vicinity of the ghetto, as is The Polin Museum and the Warsaw Ghetto uprising memorial. There is nothing to see in the ghetto as it has been rebuilt and is no longer looks as it did during the war. There is a big mound of soil in the area where Mila 18 was and the leaders of the uprising died. Also, you can see where the umshlagplatz was. That's about it. The Noysik shul is in a different area completely sort of out of the way from where the main Jewish area was, which is why it survived the war and the Nazis never got to it. I don't think it's open for tours during the day (but I could be wrong) We were there for shacharis in the am. I really don't recommend Jewish Warsaw for such young kids. I don't know what regular things there are to do there. If you are set on it, look at tripadvisor.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:18 pm
Batsheva1 wrote:
I have been to Warsaw and I can't see what children your children's age would get out of it. It wouldn't be enjoyable for you either, because you'd be shlepping around 3 miserable kids. Since you asked, the cemetery is right in the vicinity of the ghetto, as is The Polin Museum and the Warsaw Ghetto uprising memorial. There is nothing to see in the ghetto as it has been rebuilt and is no longer looks as it did during the war. There is a big mound of soil in the area where Mila 18 was and the leaders of the uprising died. Also, you can see where the umshlagplatz was. That's about it. The Noysik shul is in a different area completely sort of out of the way from where the main Jewish area was, which is why it survived the war and the Nazis never got to it. I don't think it's open for tours during the day (but I could be wrong) We were there for shacharis in the am. I really don't recommend Jewish Warsaw for such young kids. I don't know what regular things there are to do there. If you are set on it, look at tripadvisor.

Ty very helpful
Not sure what to search for on trip advisor, like just look for activities in the area?

Also what is umshlagplatz? And how long do you spend at polin museum?, What's there? Is it Scary? Appropriate for kids?

Im not for sure doing this, I just want to make an educated decision. I personally not so excited about going to Israel so I wanted to include something on the way that I would enjoy.

Also my eldest is 8.5 a boy, he would definitely enjoy it, my daughter will be 6 then and she will be fine. Just not so sure about my 3 yo.
Now as I am writing this, this trip is in Jan.. Will it be freezing there at that time?

I really appreciate all of your help!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:54 pm
None of those those things are going to be "enjoyable" and are actually horrifying places to visit imo. The umshlagplatz was where the Jews of the ghetto were corralled like animals waiting for hours with no food or water before being forced into the cattle cars for a horrific journey.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
None of those those things are going to be "enjoyable" and are actually horrifying places to visit imo. The umshlagplatz was where the Jews of the ghetto were corralled like animals waiting for hours with no food or water before being forced into the cattle cars for a horrific journey.

I definitely didn't mean enjoyable in that way Chas veshalom
My grandfather who just passed away is from Poland, and I really like history
Hope I'm being clear
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics