Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Creative outlet/job/skill

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:39 pm
I love doing just about anything creative. I've tried my hand at many things over the years, and though I can see potential - with time, and focus, I am not a pro at anything yet. I'd really like to use the talent Hashem gave me to be able to help people. In any capacity really, but particularly in inspiring people in their avodas Hashem/ bring people closer to yiddishkeit.
I've tried my hand at drawing, cake decorating, beading, crocheting, sewing, monograms, sheitel styling. All at an elementary level. All things I am interested in learning to do better.
I'd like to choose a hobby to focus on, that can eventually turn into a job ( once I've gained an adequate level of skill) Catch is I don't have time. I am a sahm of several small children.

I'm trying to figure out...

what venue is most practical for me to explore. Something that I can spend a few minutes here a few minutes there on and actually improve in skill level. Something that doesn't take a long time to get into ( like drawing) or figure out where to pick up my lost thread from.

Alternately, something that doesn't require intense concentration, such that I can do it, while my kids are playing happily ( yet loudly) and bound to ask for my attention at any given time. ( Crocheting might work for this. And might sewing??)

I am open to ideas of any creative outlets, that fit either of the above criteria even if I haven't tried them before.

Really my greatest passions at the moment are drawing, and cake decorating. Both insanely time consuming. So I rarely do them.

My dream is to illustrate Jewish children's books. I don't think I am at that skill level yet, but I'd love to hear from artists who do this what I can do to get there. Right now I am learning realistic drawing. Do I need to master that before going into more of an animation style (which I notice is popular in children's books)? How would I break into the field? What types of illustration job options are there?

Sorry that was long and a bit all over the place. I'd really appreciate if you wise ladies could help me sort through this!

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:46 pm
Preparing a preschool curriculum, being a preschool teacher, hosting Kiruv events, running a funschool between camp & school or off days when moms work. Volunteering at youth groups. Giving art/baking lessons for young girls, volunteering to entertain, teach sick children who are at hospital or at home that can't attend school. Ordering craft supplies for school/camp. Running a daycamp.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:49 pm
Doing some mommy groups for a break for them, for people who are dealing with different struggles that means offering your services for free or for money to different organizations or for different retreats/shabbatons/hotels/or convalescent homes etc. or for senior groups/centers etc..

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:52 pm
Years ago I had a school pay me to make bulletin boards for the preschool program etc.
They told me their theme and what they wanted to portray and I drew it and put it all together. It was a big project but I did it in my free time and gave myself enough time to meet the deadline.

You can make homemade greeting cards and lift the spirits of Jewish soldiers on duty. I did that one year with my kids. I dropped it off by Kosher Troops.com

pizza4

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:57 pm
Hey op that's my dream too!
Right now I'm doing a bulletin board for a school! I cant do it with my kids around though. I don't think I'd be able to do any kind of creative work while my kids are home.
Also I draw them coloring pages. Lots of inspiration on pinterest.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:58 pm
I think you can also come in once a week into a hischool class to teach some cake decorating/ food decorating/crocheting as a fun class or do some projects at an after school/extra curiccular/program or talent school.
Also daycamps sometimes have someone come in once a week for food decorating activities

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:01 pm
What about doing graphics for school stencils, newletters or to aid teachers. Sell handrawn classroom signs.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:50 pm
Bulletin board sounds up my alley - thanks! maybe I'll ask my child's teacher of she needs help. Coloring sheets for my kids 😂 I draw things for them to color occasionally, but often get so caught up in the details that they don't want to wait, and I loose patience and just print...( Also, a bit off topic it I sometimes wonder if drawing pictures for them will get in the way of their sense of creativity... Seeing how I draw something will make them feel stuck that they don't know how to draw that thing, where as little kids can draw almost anything ( even if it isn't easily recognisable.. I making sense?)
I do not want to teach or run groups.I am way to shy, and not good at managing people, or explaining things.
I want to learn a skill. I really want to learn to draw, but I am having trouble finding time, so I am looking for other ideas that don't require the same intense focus and time commitment.
Though I am not looking to work now, I would like to have a skill that I can use in the future.
Thank you all for your input! I am touched that you took the time to respond to my post!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:57 pm
dankbar wrote:
What about doing graphics for school stencils, newletters or to aid teachers. Sell handrawn classroom signs.

Sounds like something I'd like! But I'm not sure what you are referring to with the bold. How would I get started?

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:07 pm
Lets say work in a school office or remotely from home, to do all the stencils, notes, graphics, hagadas, newsletters that school sends home or the type of stencils preschool teachers need for A&C, worksheets etc.

You can also do all the sceneries/costumes/banners for performances & school events. Set up for exhibits/workshops etc.

Set up display of miniatures to portray parsha/ yom tov scenes for pre schools/daycares/cheders

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:11 pm
Sewing is a very lucrative market and it's easy to learn from youtube
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics