Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Can babies experience trauma
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:10 am
Yes but they are incredibly resilient and I wholeheartedly believe some of the trauma is from being recounted what happened.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:33 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Yes but they are incredibly resilient and I wholeheartedly believe some of the trauma is from being recounted what happened.

Maybe.
Babies are as resilient as the adults in their life who are there to help them process the trauma. Without support, there's no telling if/how the effects will be long term.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:44 pm
Yes I worked in a nursery and a baby was in a car accident, car flipped over a few times I think. He was not physically hurt but he was so slow and small and didn't grow much. He was very underdeveloped and sensitive.

unexpected

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:54 pm
Definitely my children who had more traumatic births were much harder to soothe, and were even more difficult in toddlerhood and beyond.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:00 pm
Ruchel wrote:

I hate that line " kids are resilent". How do you know? Cuz they dont have outward symptoms?

You know what, people said that about me my whole life. I was self aware, precocious, empathetic, and extremely intuitive about other people's feelings. Know why? I had to constantly gauge my chaotic abusive family and assess how to fix things.

People thought I was resilient because I was a goody goody, seemed so emotionally evolved, and could give ling speeches about self development when I was 10 years old. But here I am as an adult crying about things I remember as young as 2 years old, having a hard time parenting my own kids cuz I never felt love in my life...

Trauma can even happen to a kid through epigenetics, like a child/grandchild of a holocaust survivor. Of course trauma can happen to a baby. And no external person gets to determine what constitutes as trauma because it is a subjective feeling of being powerless and stuck in a horrible experience.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:07 pm
There is no way to measure how much a baby feels trauma. We don’t know if being left to cio alone is traumatic. We don’t know if being left with a new babysitter is traumatic.
Then we have adults with depression and anxiety and mental illness and we don’t know if it is a result of trauma as a baby.

There is so much we don’t know about the mental health of a baby and long term effects of possibly traumatic events. I’m sure each baby handles things differently too. One baby may be fine with a new babysitter another may be traumatized with lifelong mental health effects.
There should be more research on this.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
There is no way to measure how much a baby feels trauma. We don’t know if being left to cio alone is traumatic. We don’t know if being left with a new babysitter is traumatic.
Then we have adults with depression and anxiety and mental illness and we don’t know if it is a result of trauma as a baby.

There is so much we don’t know about the mental health of a baby and long term effects of possibly traumatic events. I’m sure each baby handles things differently too. One baby may be fine with a new babysitter another may be traumatized with lifelong mental health effects.
There should be more research on this.

There's A TON of research on this.
It all boils down to attachment and attunement. True that we can't know what will affect whom but an attuned mother will pick up on her babies cues and nurture her accordingly. The affects of the events is dependent on the connection and nurturing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics