Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
CDC warns stop vaping as 5th person dies,many severely ill

little neshamala

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:28 am
Posting this because ive seen numerous posts on here saying that vaping is safe, and people are ok with their teens vaping instead of smoking cigarettes.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/p...../amp/

The number of deaths linked to vaping is now up to five as the Centers for Disease Control investigate the 450 cases of severe lung illness reported nationwide.

Three additional deaths were confirmed on Friday in Indiana, Minnesota and California, following two previously reported deaths in Illinois and Oregon.

Just a few hours earlier, the CDC held a briefing on the rise of severe lung illnesses connected to e-cigarette use, and said that the number of reported cases had more than doubled in the last week to 450, from just over 200.

The federal health organization urged Americans to stop using e-cigarettes while it — along with the Food and Drug Administration and state officials — investigate the respiratory problems that have impacted residents in 33 states and one jurisdiction.

“While this investigation is ongoing, people should consider not using e-cigarette products,” says Dr. Dana Meaney-Delman, incident manager of the CDC’s response to the vaping-related lung injuries. “People who do use e-cigarette products should monitor themselves for symptoms, for example, cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea and vomiting — and promptly seek medical attention for any health concerns.”

Health officials and doctors have been unsure of what exactly about e-cigarettes is causing “healthy, young people to become ill,” but the CDC said Friday that they are beginning to see trends. Most of the 450 cases involved a young person between 18 and 25 who was initially thought to have a pneumonia-like infection that turned out to be a pulmonary illness.

The CDC said they are still unsure of the exact chemical or substance that these cases have in common, as the patients used a variety of vaping products. Some used e-cigarettes with only nicotine, while others primarily used marijuana-based products.

Still, “we are getting a clearer focus … and the investigation is narrowing,” Ileana Arias, the acting deputy director for noninfectious diseases at CDC, said.

They also believe that the “lung illnesses are likely associated with a chemical exposure,” Meaney-Delman said.

The CDC also said they are looking into the lab tests from New York state health officials that showed vitamin E acetate in many of the cannabis e-cigarette cartridges that sickened patients had submitted for testing.

But, Mitch Zeller, director of the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products, said that of the 120 samples they have collected so far, not all of them contained vitamin E acetate.

“No one substance or compound, including vitamin E acetate, has been identified in all the samples tested,” he said in the briefing.

watergirl

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:44 am
Thanks for beating me to this post, I was going to post it today also.

So many people post on here about their kids vaping as if its some harmless thing their teens are doing that they feel they cant stop. I can not understand this.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:46 am
People under age are buying e-liquid from China. Who knows what's in that stuff? If they are going to buy it, at least order it from America or Israel, and ask them if it's produced locally.

I find it funny that one article said that the deaths are "an epidemic." Um, what about the millions of people who die from perfectly legal tobacco products? What about refusing to vaccinate and infecting a whole town?

The doctors interviewed said that (exact quote) "It was possibly probable that vaping was the cause, but we're not sure." Possibly probably? Epidemic?

Why can't we just say that products need to have stricter quality control?

The articles also said that of the 12 people who were recently admitted to the hospital, 11 said that they had been vaping THC (pot), and the 12th one had pot in his system when they did the toxicology screen.

Another very high risk, is vaping with a very strong battery, and the highest risk of all is if you modify your vaper to operate at a much higher heat. High heat releases a lot of dangerous chemicals that would not be there if the vaper was set at factory settings, or on the lowest setting of an adjustable vaper. High heat blows a very impressive cloud, and that is why people are tampering with the equipment. I low heat cloud is nearly invisible (and won't impress your buddies.)

Please, talk to your kids about where they are getting their product, and the importance of keeping the settings low. Let them know that vaping THC is causing the deaths. If they have to get high, stick to pot brownies. Be matter of fact, just like you would about having a zex talk. Information could save your kid's lives.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 7:54 pm
Smoking is seriously frowned upon because it's unhygienic and causes secondhand smoke, not just because it is dangerous to the smoker.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:37 pm
On Friday the news station said it's linked to the compounds in marijuana vaping. So sad that so many people use weed. So horrible that dangerous products are being manufactured and sold and bought!

asmileaday

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:54 pm
I was so disappointed when my 13yr old came home from a very popular camp saying that the counselors vaped all day in front of the kids. (I'm hoping "all day" was an exaggeration...)

My son is really not the type to look up to these things and we are a very anti smoking household but he thought this was pretty cool. He said it smelled delicious.

Of course we had a long talk about it and I showed him articles and videos that explain why it's unsafe.

But why on earth would a heimish camp allow the staff to vape in front of young impressionable campers?

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:09 am
asmileaday wrote:

But why on earth would a heimish camp allow the staff to vape in front of young impressionable campers?

Wow, I agree with you 100%! Adult products should not be used around impressionable kids. If the camp is going to allow the staff to vape, there should be a special area set aside as a break room where the kids can't see in. Kind of like a teacher's lounge, that is a kid free zone.

Better yet, ban it from camp, and send home any staff that break the rule, but that decision is up to each individual camp. If they are short on staff, then the first idea is better than nothing.

nomismommy

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:00 am
asmileaday wrote:
I was so disappointed when my 13yr old came home from a very popular camp saying that the counselors vaped all day in front of the kids. (I'm hoping "all day" was an exaggeration...)

My son is really not the type to look up to these things and we are a very anti smoking household but he thought this was pretty cool. He said it smelled delicious.

Of course we had a long talk about it and I showed him articles and videos that explain why it's unsafe.

It does smell delicious. I remember a couple years ago on my way to work there was a guy on the bus who was vaping (once we got off the bus) . It smelled like vanilla and since I absolutely love the smell of vanilla I really enjoyed walking a couple steps behind him and always hoped he would smoke once he got off the bus. When my work hours changed and I had to take a different bus I was kind of missing the delicious vanilla smell.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:18 am
asmileaday wrote:

There is something systemically wrong here and you need to speak to the top - the head counselors, owners, any visiting rabbanim.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:18 am
PinkFridge wrote:
There is something systemically wrong here and you need to speak to the top - the head counselors, owners, any visiting rabbanim.

I only found this out after my son came home from camp. And he's not going there next year anyway.
If I do decide to send my other kids I will speak with them but highly doubt it'll change anything. I'm a nobody. I'm not even a parent of their city cheder.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:28 am
asmileaday wrote:
I only found this out after my son came home from camp. And he's not going there next year anyway.
If I do decide to send my other kids I will speak with them but highly doubt it'll change anything. I'm a nobody. I'm not even a parent of their city cheder.

Maybe this is a sign you should become a somebody.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:36 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Maybe this is a sign you should become a somebody.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:32 pm
nomismommy wrote:
It does smell delicious. I remember a couple years ago on my way to work there was a guy on the bus who was vaping (once we got off the bus) . It smelled like vanilla and since I absolutely love the smell of vanilla I really enjoyed walking a couple steps behind him and always hoped he would smoke once he got off the bus. When my work hours changed and I had to take a different bus I was kind of missing the delicious vanilla smell.

I vape vanilla, but I keep my battery level set to low, so the smell is really hard to detect unless you are right next to me. I'm also really careful not to vape around anyone who might find it objectionable, so you'll never see me at a bus stop vaping.

For me at least, it's like having a bottle of beer when you get home from a long day. I try not to drink alcohol in front of kids, either. In my life it's a nice treat, and not a total lifestyle where I have to be puffing away every 5 minutes. It also helps to keep the nicotine at a very low percentage.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I vape vanilla, but I keep my battery level set to low, so the smell is really hard to detect unless you are right next to me. I'm also really careful not to vape around anyone who might find it objectionable, so you'll never see me at a bus stop vaping.

For me at least, it's like having a bottle of beer when you get home from a long day. I try not to drink alcohol in front of kids, either. In my life it's a nice treat, and not a total lifestyle where I have to be puffing away every 5 minutes. It also helps to keep the nicotine at a very low percentage.

There's a difference between an adult who vapes as a lesser of evils and is careful, and a kid who's never developed the habit to begin with. Unfortunately, vaping is considered safer than smoking and to a kid who's feeling immortal, or that 120 is way in the distant future, forget safer. Try safe.

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:34 pm
It was obvious that vaping is bad. One only had to wait for the individual news articles to be put together. I was in a kosher supermarket in Monsey, and the staff was vaping inside. The staff vapes outside the doors of another supermarket, so you walk through fumes. People vape indoors. It's disgusting.

I think we will find the same kind of regrets with the legalization of marijuana.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics