Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
9/11 Anniversary thoughts
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:23 am
Please take a moment to remember those that gave their life for our safety and freedom.
What are your memories of 9/11?
Thoughts? How are we different as a country today?
God bless America

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:31 am
I. Rushed to my sons school to pick him up then I rushed to my daughters school to pick her up

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:44 am
Our sense of security was shattered that morning but I felt tremendous pride in Mayor Giuliani and our first responders. To see random acts of kindness amongst such barbarism was inspiring. May all those holy kedoshim have an aliyah and may Moshiach redeem us speedily iyh.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:56 am
I was home with a newborn. I was sleeping and heard alot of sirens. I went outside and saw ambulances racing somewhere. The was ashes falling from the sky. I went back inside and put on the news.

I still didn't process it until dh called. He was a few blocks away and was trying to figure out how to get out of the city. He walked over the Brooklyn bridge and met a van full of people, they graciously allowed him in. He came home covered with soot.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:57 am
https://www.google.com/search?.....afari

The link to Lev Tahor -Watch Over Me

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:59 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lev+tahor+watch+over+me&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

The link to Lev Tahoe -Watch Over Me

Thank you for sharing that

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:07 am
I watched the towers fall from my apartment window.

They fell one by one. Straight down. They didn’t tilt. They melted.

I had a big stomach. My first child was soon to be born.

I walked outside with my husband. Papers and ash fell on us. We got sprinkled white and grey.

I watched on TV over and over how those planes crashed into the buildings.

I was overwhelmed. My father worked in downtown Brooklyn. He closed up for the day.

I made my husband stay home. I didn’t want to be alone.

Then we found out there were more planes. The world felt out of control.

A few days later I gave birth. In the labor room the TV was on. The huge pile of rubble and the emergency rescue still going on.

My thoughts were, “How will I protect this baby”, “How will we grab him and run if we need to?”

The world changed on that day.
And we all had to adapt to a new reality.
May moshiach come quickly. And safely.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:16 am
I was married for a little over a year. I found out about it once I was already at work. The sky was blue and the weather was glorious. How can such a terrible act happen on such a beautiful day?? The stories and rumors that circulated all day, as there was no communication and no one knew where anyone was and who was affected.
The world as we knew it, especially USA, no longer felt safe. Our security was threatened. President Bush handled all amazingly. I remember listening to him speak on radio and thinking wow, what a medina shel chesed.
Now it's 18 years later... hard to believe.

ssspectacular

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:43 am
I was listening to the news on the radio and the reporter ccompletely cracked up and cried, OMG, the 2nd tower is falling as well. I was terrified. Didn't want to be alone in the house and went to join my dh . The next few days were frightening- nobody knew what would happen next. The country was in shock. Even 3 months later, when we took a trip to Florida, everything was still very quiet. People were not flying or going to parks. And yes, America changed that day. Until then, when I visited Israel, I would always remark-this country is always at war. And this reality came to us.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:51 am
My late DH was supposed to be on one of those flights. It was his regular flight. I told him that he has a family now, and he belongs home.

You should have heard the frantic calls from the relatives while he was in the shower. Everyone thought he was on the flight.

A week before this happened, I told late DH that we are due for a terrorist attack. He knocked me down and screamed at me that I am a witch when he came out of the shower.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:07 am
We lived in South Williamsburg at the time and we had a direct view of the towers. We watched them fall like weak matches. We were terrified for our lives. Schools were dismissed. The sky was dark with smoke for days. My dad is a paramedic, he got ready to go out and help. My mom cried to him not to go, she was afraid he won't return. He did end up going on the 3rd day. Afew weeks later he took our family to see the destruction. We saw the pictures of our heroes that gave their lives and we cried for them and their families.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:14 am
I was pulling in to the parking lot at work when I heard about the first plane crash. I went in and told my supervisor, and work basically ended for the day right then and there. Everyone just gathered around to check, watch, try to figure out what was happening. Shell-shocked is how I would describe our feelings.

My boss was visiting a client in NYC that day. Later on he told us how he was walking down 34th street and Broadway, and he saw a plane flying really low. He was like, OMG, that plane is gonna crash...and then it did.

I remember coming home later on and it was so odd that the weather outside was so nice. Completely, totally at odds with how I felt.

My niece was born just days before 9/11. Her father was still tired and resting up from her birth, so he didn't join the rest of his team from Hatzalah when they got the call and were the first responders. Some of his team members were in great danger that day. I remember saying Tehillim and davening, and hearing conflicting reports. B"H they all made it out.

That winter, my sister never left NYC without her infant baby. She was afraid that something would happen and she wouldn't get home to her, like if the bridges were closed or something like that. If she had a wedding in Brooklyn, she took her along.

I think now, 18 years later, we feel more complacent than we did then. Hashem should continue to protect us.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:20 am
I was at a tile store in Owings Mills, MD. There was a small office area within the store and the man inside called out that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. There was a little TV in there, and I stepped inside the office just in time to see the second plane crash into the other Tower. Then we all realized it was terrorists.

I drove home in a bit of a daze, trying to process the information. My next-door neighbor had a big screen TV — he invited me over, and I watched the Towers fall. My son's school called, saying that I needed to come get him, the school was sending all the kids home and almost everyone else had already been picked up. My husband came home from work. There was a tremendous sense of unease, of danger. I listened to the news, over and over and over.

The world changed in an instant, a week before Rosh Hashana.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:39 am
It was my first week of high school. We were a few miles uptown, but you used to be able to see the towers from the higher floors of the school, and we saw everything in real time. It was terrifying. Some of my classmates had parents who worked at the WTC. The world as we knew it was over. We were children, of course, but old enough to fully understand what was happening. Parents came streaming into school to pick their kids up, we all just wanted to get home and be with our families. I remember the walk home, seeing military helicopters and planes flying around and feeling so scared that more planes or bombs might come dropping out of the sky. I still remember the smell the next day. Wind had blown everything uptown that night, so all of Manhattan had this horrible acrid smell the next morning.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:49 am
I was in first grade. The secretary came into the classroom and handed a note to the teacher. For some inexplicable reason, the teacher announced that there had been a bomb in Manhattan and that we were going to say tehillim.

When I got home, I ran to my mother and begged her to call my aunts to find out if they were okay. I knew they (or at least one of them) worked in the city and "a bomb" could've hit anywhere in the city. My mother insisted they were okay, but I was frightened out of my wits.

I remember my mother coming into my room that night and talking to me, and crying.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:57 am
I was in third grade, and the secretary came into the classroom and said that an airplane knocked down a building in Manhattan and we should daven. I got the rest of the story when I got home at the end of the day (didn't live in NYC)
I had nightmares about terrorists and bombs for months after, and was scared to be outside myself. I was sure that the next bomb is headed for our house.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:58 am
I usually think about where I was on 9/11 and how it changed my life and my sense of security. How I was stuck across an ocean away from my children. How it created a sense of patriotism in me and my family.

This year I am watching them read the names and I see a list of names of people, many were in their late 20's to early 40's in the prime of their lives. They left their homes 18 years ago today, thinking they would return home that evening. Instead they perished leaving behind thousands and thousands of loved ones. Families were ripped apart and scarred forever. Creating thousands of widows and orphans. A heartbreak that will never fully heal. It makes me remember that my time here is limited. I want to remember to make that time worthwhile. I want to take the time to hug my children and tell them I love them and I am proud of them. I want to do as many mitzvos as possible. I want to stop crying.

mommyla

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:17 pm
I was in high school, on the West Coast. By the time I woke up in the morning, it was all over.

We sat watching the endless loop of the planes hitting and the towers crumbling, and then we actually went to school, though we were all terrified that LA would be next. I seem to recall having a short day of school, but I'm not sure.

Afterwards, we went home and watched the footage again and again, in horror, unable to tear ourselves away.

Surreal.

Roots

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:37 pm
I was in fourth grade
rumers were all around
I sat and cried
after a while everyone calmed down more or less. I kept my head down the whole lesson and cried
I was so scared
they didnt know if it would fall towards us (queens) and I was scared of that also
it was my sisters birthday
we came home after school to all the radios at home on and a mother that was half with us and mostly preoccupied
I felt it and kept to myself
its not something that can ever be forgotten
rip
may Hashem watch over us and may we not hear any more tzaar

syrima

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:46 pm
This is the first year that my son and all others born the year of 9/11 turn 18. Old enough to vote, get drafted, and basically be adult. It's now an entire generation since this happened. And I still feel so sad every year for all those families who lost someone. So many people who spoke today referenced G-d or heaven in some way. I hope we will remain a religious nation and that Hashem should continue to protect us from our enemies.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational