Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/o I miss cholov stam!
Previous  1  2

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:42 am
You can get really good CY cheeses in Monsey at the second cheese department in the big supermarkets. You will pay big for this. But sometimes the quality is worth it.

I make a delicious cheese bread. I miss buying that when I converted to CY. Yum - cheese bagels.

A comparable candy to Reese's can be bought at the good chocalate stores. I think it's like $4 for one that's twice the size as a normal one.

As a poster up thread said that it's better for her not to have the food available..

little neshamala

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:46 am
Squishy wrote:

A comparable candy to Reese's can be bought at the good chocalate stores. I think it's like $4 for one that's twice the size as a normal one.

Nah. Ive tried that. Got the fancy gourmet peanut butter in chocolate truffle or whatever it was in le chocolate. Also from ohnuts.
Totally not the same at all. Not at all.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:58 am
For those, who miss PB cups, maybe try this.
https://topsecretrecipes.com/r......html

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:06 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
When I first started keeping CY I mourned M&Ms and Ben & Jerry's. Not anymore. It's really garbage food anyhow.
I will say that the quality of CY cheeses, at least in my part of the world, is certainly lacking. But then maybe that's all kosher cheeses in general. I grew up in a sort of kosher but not so strictly so home and my mother would buy pretty much any sort of cheese. I remember going into cheese stores and the smells of different cheeses were so distinct and aromatic. The cheese we get is all similar and plastic-like. Bleh.

I live in Belgium and we have delicious CY cheese.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:32 am
little neshamala wrote:
Nah. Ive tried that. Got the fancy gourmet peanut butter in chocolate truffle or whatever it was in le chocolate. Also from ohnuts.
Totally not the same at all. Not at all.

Thats the thing people dont realize about Reese's and other kind of junk foods... we dont want the "good quality" heimish chocolates you can buy in the heimish candy stores. Its not at all the same thing. It should not be creamy chocolate and creamy peanut butter. Nothing from Europe. Hersheys etc. has a totally different texture and taste.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:53 am
andrea levy wrote:
I don't like cottage cheese but a lot of my non kosher keeping friends actually eat jand j

That is fascinating. Makes me want to do a search on Chowhound and see if there's any discussion on CY cottage cheese. I go with whatever cc is on sale, but I'm not making a special trip to a store with CY; that takes dedication! I'll have to focus on my next spoonful of J&J.

Oh wait, ETA, let me play. I grew up with lots of different chocolate bars, etc. in my house. Yes, while I sort of missed the CS chocolate (and I am a chocolate person) the real void was Haagen Daz Strawberry Ice Cream.

I remember the first time I made pareve ice cream based on this: https://www.bettycrocker.com/r.....14fe2 My cookbook has a non ice cream maker set of directions. Let the egg yolk mix cool. Add vanilla. Freeze for a few hours or until solidish. Whip the whip. Combine custard with whip. You can also add in strawberries. I find defrosted frozen are much better than fresh.

This was really wonderful. I want to try it with milk sometime.

And I really enjoy chocolate and pb. What I find satisfying these days* are Oh Henry bars, you know the oatmeal (or other) base with pb and cc on top. I wonder what it would be like with good meltable milchig cc.

* Actually, I avoid them. But in memory, I find them satisfying.

2cents

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:09 am
Keeblers cheese crackers with peanut butter. Loooooved these as a quick snack/lunch.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:07 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I miss Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Yessss.
When I moved to Israel from nowheresville our Rabbi said there was absolutely no reason we should eat chalav stam. So we stopped.

Dina2018

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:21 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Kosher chalav yisrael cheese in the UK and Europe is really way better then in the US. I get real parmesan from Italy, cheddar, red leicester and double gloucester from the UK (chevington brand), and brie and camambert from france. The only thing we can't get is cheese strings. (except at expensive prices for imports from the US)

When I go to the USA I always bring english cheese as a gift because american cheese is so inferior.
OMG I was going to complain about how I hate chevington and so on but if tjis is even better than american brands I won‘t Surprised

Dina2018

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:23 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I live in Belgium and we have delicious CY cheese.

could you specify please? I need to find delicios CY cheese...

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:42 am
watergirl wrote:
Thats the thing people dont realize about Reese's and other kind of junk foods... we dont want the "good quality" heimish chocolates you can buy in the heimish candy stores. Its not at all the same thing. It should not be creamy chocolate and creamy peanut butter. Nothing from Europe. Hersheys etc. has a totally different texture and taste.

You are so right! In the US junk chocolate like that is actually legally prohibited from being marketed as chocolate because the quality is so crappy. They are legally obligated to print "candy bar" on the wrapper because they don't have a high enough cacao content to qualify as real chocolate.

aliavi

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:04 am
little neshamala wrote:
I was so excited when the paskez solos came out, I quick bought a bag and BUMMER! Theyre good, but if you're compairing to reeses, not even close.

We need a good CY alternative to reeses peanut butter cups, donuts (not the typical jelly and custard. I mean like dunkin donuts variety.), and better flavors of ice cream!!! So sad that I prefer ben and jerrys non dairy ice cream to all the boring flavors of CY ice cream.

There are a few Dunkin locations that are fully kosher. I know a specific one that does not exempt donuts from the CY certification.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:15 am
Simple1 wrote:
For those, who miss PB cups, maybe try this.
https://topsecretrecipes.com/r......html

I can't wait to try this! Laugh
Thanks so much!

little neshamala

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:28 am
aliavi wrote:
There are a few Dunkin locations that are fully kosher. I know a specific one that does not exempt donuts from the CY certification.

What! That means the donuts are chalav yisroel??
Theres one in monsey but they say all the donuts are baked in one chalav stam place and delivered to the stores...

Shuly

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:34 pm
In Israel there is cholov yisroel Ben N Jerry's! Not every flavor but Dulce de Leche is heavenly!
We have good chocolate here too but I miss Reese's Pieces the most.

Saralle

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:44 pm
I don't live in Europe, but was in Belgium once and had an orange cream cheese... no clue what it's called but boy was that good!!
I would pay a lot of money, if they can import that stuff to the US!

kenz

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:49 pm
Haagen Dazs is the biggest void, hands down. None of the CY companies compare.
Oh, and Yodels.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics