Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
HELP! COLORS RAN IN WASH

kenz

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:20 am
I threw in a wash of Shabbos clothes and didn't realize there was a blue denim skirt mixed in - the color ran all over the place, including onto a fairly new Shabbos dress that is off white with fake black leather trim. I currently have it soaking in non-chlorine bleach. Can anyone help me with this? I'm afraid to try Rit because of the black trim, but if nothing else works I guess I have nothing to lose...
I know otherwise it's a kaparah but my daughter really loves this dress. Crying

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:20 am
Rewash the load with afew sheets of shout color catcher.

kenz

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Rewash the load with afew sheets of shout color catcher.

I once used color catcher and it made a mess of my laundry - colors ran anyway, but it might be worth another try. Do you really think it will help? Better than Rit?

challahchallah

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:16 am
kenz wrote:
I once used color catcher and it made a mess of my laundry - colors ran anyway, but it might be worth another try. Do you really think it will help? Better than Rit?

I’ve had good luck with the color catchers as well. For this use case, do put several in the load, including one right with the dress. I haven’t tried Rit though so I can’t make a direct comparison.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:18 am
I've only had good experience with shout color catcher sheets. Never tried the rit.

Flip Flops

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:19 am
I had a black and white shirt that ran.
I brought it to a very good cleaners and they were able to get out the stains.

kenz

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:19 am
Flip Flops wrote:
I had a black and white shirt that ran.
I brought it to a very good cleaners and they were able to get out the stains.

Was it in Brooklyn?

kenz

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:20 am
challahchallah wrote:
I’ve had good luck with the color catchers as well. For this use case, do put several in the load, including one right with the dress. I haven’t tried Rit though so I can’t make a direct comparison.

Thanks - I will try.

kenz

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:21 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I've only had good experience with shout color catcher sheets. Never tried the rit.

I think Rit is strictly for whites. I am going to try the color catchers. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:38 pm
Wash each item separately with 2-3 sheets of the Shout Color Catchers

kenz

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 1:24 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Wash each item separately with 2-3 sheets of the Shout Color Catchers

Thanks to all - it took a few washes and several Color Catchers per wash but the dress is definitely wearable again! It's not perfect, so I think I might try a dry cleaner as well - can anyone recommend someone really good in Brooklyn?

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 5:25 am
I would use RIT color remover—not whitener. The garment is ruined already, and RIT won’t make it worse. Fake leather isn’t dyed; the pigment is blended with the plastic and is part of it. RIT color remover is specifically formulated to remove excess dye such as color that ran in the wash, which is the situation on your hands.

kenz

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 5:51 am
zaq wrote:
I would use RIT color remover—not whitener. The garment is ruined already, and RIT won’t make it worse. Fake leather isn’t dyed; the pigment is blended with the plastic and is part of it. RIT color remover is specifically formulated to remove excess dye such as color that ran in the wash, which is the situation on your hands.

It’s not ruined bH - definitely still wearable. Most of the dye is gone and I think it’s only visible to someone who knew what happened, like me. I was going to try Rit but I saw online that the color remover is for whites only. Am I reading it wrong?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 6:02 am
kenz wrote:
It’s not ruined bH - definitely still wearable. Most of the dye is gone and I think it’s only visible to someone who knew what happened, like me. I was going to try Rit but I saw online that the color remover is for whites only. Am I reading it wrong?

Correct. Only for all whites and ivorys.

kenz

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:15 am
ra_mom wrote:
Correct. Only for all whites and ivorys.

That’s what I thought- and like I said, thanks to everyone here it’s much better. I think I’ll take it to Landau’s cleaners and see what they say and otherwise my daughter can still use it bH.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry