Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tympanoplasty

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:53 am
Has anyone had this done for their child? My daughter got tubes many years ago and one hole never closed up completely so needs to be surgically closed. I know it has to be done but just need reassurance that all will be good. Of course there are risks and I'm nervous.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:42 pm
Not that, but we have had major reconstructive ear surgery.
It should just be with Mazel.
Refuah shelemah to your daughter.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:03 am
Just wanted to come back here and say we bh finally had the surgery! This was pushed off for more than year for various reasons and glad we were finally able to take care of it. BH the surgery went as well as can be expected and now we have to wait for the results in our follow up apptmt in 6 weeks. Best case scenario is that hopefully her hearing will improve and hole will stay closed and this will be the end of our long ENT saga, lasting more than a decade.
I do keep wondering if we did the right thing giving her tubes all those years back. It seemed like the best option as she was stuffed with fluid and couldn't hear and had major speech delays. However, my parents, who are old school, warned me not to operate as they said can cause more damage than good and one of my siblings had same issue 30 years ago and they gave him balloons and shofar to blow so pop the fluid. However, I did all my research at the time and everyone else told us to operate so we did and didn't tell our parents. Now, I see they were right and feel guilty that I put my daughter thru all this and to think of all the ENT visits over the years etc. Of course I have Jewish mother's guilt...
I really hope this will be it, I feel for my precious daughter who has to deal with this.. it's so hard.
I also want to give credit to Chai Lifeline for making my day so much easier and manageable! From the shuttle to ride share, where I was able to get ride home. to the well stocked kosher pantry in CHOP! Wow, what a chesed and Mi Keamcha Yisroel!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just wanted to come back here and say we bh finally had the surgery! This was pushed off for more than year for various reasons and glad we were finally able to take care of it. BH the surgery went as well as can be expected and now we have to wait for the results in our follow up apptmt in 6 weeks. Best case scenario is that hopefully her hearing will improve and hole will stay closed and this will be the end of our long ENT saga, lasting more than a decade.
I do keep wondering if we did the right thing giving her tubes all those years back. It seemed like the best option as she was stuffed with fluid and couldn't hear and had major speech delays. However, my parents, who are old school, warned me not to operate as they said can cause more damage than good and one of my siblings had same issue 30 years ago and they gave him balloons and shofar to blow so pop the fluid. However, I did all my research at the time and everyone else told us to operate so we did and didn't tell our parents. Now, I see they were right and feel guilty that I put my daughter thru all this and to think of all the ENT visits over the years etc. Of course I have Jewish mother's guilt...
I really hope this will be it, I feel for my precious daughter who has to deal with this.. it's so hard.
I also want to give credit to Chai Lifeline for making my day so much easier and manageable! From the shuttle to ride share, where I was able to get ride home. to the well stocked kosher pantry in CHOP! Wow, what a chesed and Mi Keamcha Yisroel!

Don't think too much about it it's not very good say that you made the wrong decision it's just blowing balloons with enough to clear fluid out of ear is everyone will try that I have heard chiropractic can help but we never tried that. My daughter has fluid-filled ears and got constant ear infections had major speech delays and a hearing loss. We did tubes we also had to do tonsils and adenoids due to sleep apnea. When the ENT went in we were layers of green goo sitting behind her ear drum. she still has ear infections with tubes but we didn't have to give her antibiotics we where able to just use drops. One tube came out on its own and healed beautifully. One tube did not come out and we waited and waited and had to have it surgically removed it took her a long time to heal longer than most but at the end of the day bh her hearing is normal .

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Don't think too much about it it's not very good say that you made the wrong decision it's just blowing balloons with enough to clear fluid out of ear is everyone will try that I have heard chiropractic can help but we never tried that. My daughter has fluid-filled ears and got constant ear infections had major speech delays and a hearing loss. We did tubes we also had to do tonsils and adenoids due to sleep apnea. When the ENT went in we were layers of green goo sitting behind her ear drum. she still has ear infections with tubes but we didn't have to give her antibiotics we where able to just use drops. One tube came out on its own and healed beautifully. One tube did not come out and we waited and waited and had to have it surgically removed it took her a long time to heal longer than most but at the end of the day bh her hearing is normal .

Thank you for sharing! Can I ask how old your daughter is?
We also tried the chiropractor for a long time, along with the tubes. One fell out 4 months after being inserted and the perforation never sealed, hence her surgery. The other tube worked well for many years until manually being removed by ENT.
She also had her adenoids removed at age 7.
I just feel it's been such a long lonely journey with so many visits and follow ups to the ENT. Now she's a young lady and I just want everything to be good already! She has hearing loss all these years and I just want her to hear perfectly and be like everyone else!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Jan 20 2020, 10:52 am
My DD got the tubs in about 16 months the first fell out at about 3years old and she was about 7ish when we took the outher one out .it took her a year to heal and to get a perfect hearing test in that ear. But it wasn't sure a big loss at that point .she was outher specch issues along with it all but definitely not regret what I did and believe me the always at the ENT what a pain .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics