Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
High school discipline help
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's what I thought too and was ready to quit (with notice etc..) Thanks to some wonderful woman here Trixx in particular and some coaching from my sister and friend I habe a totally different classroom. I never would have dreamed and I hope Hashem continues to gift me.

So glad to hear! Can you please tell us specifically which advice was helpful and how it carried out in the classroom?

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:17 pm
Ruchoma Shain A"H (all for the boss) wrote a story how she became a first grade teacher in middle age. Ruchoma could not teach - the girls were constantly asking to use the bathroom or talking.

Ruchoma was frustrated and decided to quit. She wrote a letter of resignation.
Ruchoma came in the class in a bad mood. She barked at the class:
"Everyone sit down and be quiet. No Talking!
No bathroom! I don't care if you need to make!"

The kids were scared and sat like angels. Ruchoma was able to teach.
She never did hand in that letter of resignation.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:36 pm
First of all, wasn't that a first grade class? Not exactly what OP is dealing with.

Also, respectfully, things have changed in the probably 50-60 years since her teaching career. Culturally, the way children are being raised, how schools are run, and so on. You can't just bark at a class like that anymore without terrifying kids who go home and complain to parents, who in turn, call the school.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:38 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
Do these girls go to seminary?

Remind girls that a bad mark from you will keep them out of the "top" seminaries.

Remind girls that people call teachers for shidduch information.

Also remind their parents of the same!

Does your school give detention for misbehavior? use it!

If not, speak to principal about docking girls from special extra-curricular activities - with girls allowed to "earn back" privilege for perfect behavior.

Make a class contest that if the whole class behaves for 3 days in a row, they get a no homework or everyone gets +5 on the test. That way there is peer pressure on the trouble-makers not to ruin it for the whole class.

Hatzlocha!

Im really sorry to put this down, but as a HS teacher, for the benefit of the OP, ALL OF THIS POST REPRESENTS WHAT YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER DO!!!!!

honeymoon

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:09 am
I know I'm late to the party but as a hs teacher I applaud some of the teachers here who gave excellent advice and I pray for the students of those who gave terrible advice.

To me, the most important part of my job is to remember that each girl has a story. Some are happy stories, some are heartwarming, some are comical and some are absolutely heart breaking. For many students, the classroom is a haven from abuse, dysfunction, parental absence, responsibility they shouldn't be having and other circumstances which they are happy to leave behind for the seven hours they spend in school daily.

We as teachers, carry the weight of a tremendous responsibility to give these students the break they need from their daily struggles.
Look into their eyes and see that beneath the fidgety, uninterested student is one wondering if her younger siblings are all right.
Behind the giggling, smug looking kid there is one who never smiles at home.
Beyond the rolling eyes and funky jewelry is a girl masking enormous pain under the gallant veneer of cool rebellion.

Think about these kids when you walk into the classroom and let the anger dissipate. Once you have clarity about WHY many students act out you can tackle the problem without any emotion roiling under the surface.

Personally, I don't think stern faced teachers with a big fat stick stand a chance in a HS classroom. I look at teaching them as teamwork. We are learning together. Not that I am teaching you and you have to listen to me. Of course, you need to demand basic respect and show no tolerance to blatant chutzpah. Usually, if the students like the teacher and want to please her, a long look should do the trick.

I would suggest focusing on building a feeling of teamwork and trust in the classroom. And show them you care. Not about their marks, their intelligence or even their participation. But about THEM.

(feel free to pm if you want to discuss teaching, discipline strategies etc.)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:26 am
Based on some responses, I’d like to mention: the zero tolerance for chutzpah is a rule which may need exceptions at times as well. The chutzpah could very well be pain. There are times when ignoring it and swallowing your pride will do a world of good.
Signed,
A student who’s teacher looked past the angry words uttered. She reached out instead and invited me to call her - “just to vent/ I’ll just be a listening ear”.

sweetdimples

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:32 am
A small tidbit ot advice. Never underestimate the power of dress. Your outside demeanor makes a huge difference. After well over a decade in the highschool classroom I can unequivocally say, as the teacher In the class, that when I dressed well (yes even to “kill”) it lent a certain positive vibe to my classes. It’s easier to project confidence when you dress smartly. Im talking about the nitty details such as the right scarf tied around your collar at just the right angle. Perfectly coiffed hair/wig. Etc. etc. And hey, a pretty put together teacher is at least something to look at ;-)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 6:35 am
It's extremely cultural.
I wouldn't deprive of the toilets today.
Yelling, kids today don't care.. I'm not a yelling type anyway.

nicole81

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 7:24 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Ruchoma Shain A"H (all for the boss) wrote a story how she became a first grade teacher in middle age. Ruchoma could not teach - the girls were constantly asking to use the bathroom or talking.

Ruchoma was frustrated and decided to quit. She wrote a letter of resignation.
Ruchoma came in the class in a bad mood. She barked at the class:
"Everyone sit down and be quiet. No Talking!
No bathroom! I don't care if you need to make!"

The kids were scared and sat like angels. Ruchoma was able to teach.
She never did hand in that letter of resignation.

It sounds like she taught them that yelling and ignoring the needs of others is an appropriate strategy to get what you want.

Students learn a lot more than just content in school. Teachers must always remember that and not take their responsibility lightly.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:07 pm
I'm a high school teacher.

I'll try not to repeat and just add what I think is missing:

Walk around the classroom as much as possible.
Get students to write on the board for you while you teach from the back or the side.
If someone is talking, continue your lesson as you walk right up to her and then stand right next to her teaching (this works if student is using a phone or doing homework for another lesson as well)
Use their names as much as possible. If someone had a good idea, make sure you quote it in their name when suggesting it again.
Conversations outside of class work wonders for students in class. If someone is disruptive, take them aside at the end of the lesson and ask them empathetically how they are doing. Then explain calmly that even on a rough day they can't be disruptive.

Some students will need special permission to leave the classroom at regular intervals to get out some energy. Encourage them to leave when they need it. You can even say, why don't you take a walk and come back.

If you see that a student needs to move around, choose them first for demonstrations or to write something on the board. You can even suggest that they bring a fidget.

Classroom management is about connecting with individuals, slowly learning what each student needs, and then treating them that way.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 7:58 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
So glad to hear! Can you please tell us specifically which advice was helpful and how it carried out in the classroom?

I changed my tone of voice when teaching from chatty to loud and confident (really not my type. I am a connector not a performer) I slowed my teaching. I told them very clearly what my expectations are-quiet at all times and if they have something to say they need to raise their hand. They really needed that even though they did not appreciate it. I added structure. Told them what I will be teaching every day. Remained consistent. Its not perfect but the turnaround is amazing. I am currently reading two books First days of School and Teach like a Champion.

trixx

Post Sat, Oct 12 2019, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I changed my tone of voice when teaching from chatty to loud and confident (really not my type. I am a connector not a performer) I slowed my teaching. I told them very clearly what my expectations are-quiet at all times and if they have something to say they need to raise their hand. They really needed that even though they did not appreciate it. I added structure. Told them what I will be teaching every day. Remained consistent. Its not perfect but the turnaround is amazing. I am currently reading two books First days of School and Teach like a Champion.

So glad to hear!! Thanks for the update!
Continued hatzlacha!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics