Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What to use in place of baby powder?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:26 am
I've started bathing my kid after (almost) every dirty diaper because I heard that baby powder isn't healthy and despite using wipes I want the area smelling fresh.. is there something I can use that's safe and smells nice?

Wife1

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:27 am
Baby powder is basically corn starch

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:38 am
What's not healthy about baby powder? It's not good to bathe multiple times a day. If I'm out of baby powder, I use corn starch.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:45 am
No need for baby powder. Wipe, and go. As long as you wiped him clean he’ll smell good

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:48 am
I really liked that fresh smell of baby powder. I don't bathe multiple times a day. I bathe my kids once a day, with my baby sometimes twice. I want to put something nice smelling... it's not necessary but I'd like to find something in place of baby powder. if anyone uses something, please let me know.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:51 am
There are different kinds of baby powder. The talc baby powder was discovered to increase the risk of cancer when it enters the female body. Cornstarch baby powder is fine, as long as there is no sensitivity or existing fungal infection.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've started bathing my kid after (almost) every dirty diaper because I heard that baby powder isn't healthy and despite using wipes I want the area smelling fresh.. is there something I can use that's safe and smells nice?

get a scented bath product.

use laundry detergent that has a smell you like.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
There are different kinds of baby powder. The talc baby powder was discovered to increase the risk of cancer when it enters the female body. Cornstarch baby powder is fine, as long as there is no sensitivity or existing fungal infection.

I thought I read that it's a danger for boys... am I wrong?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I thought I read that it's a danger for boys... am I wrong?

I always used it for my boys but I don’t use it for my daughter. I’ve only heard it was an issue for girls. But hey , you never know something may have been discovered amongst boys too.

rivkam

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:42 pm
Sometimes the smell really stays on their clothes so you can try changing the baby's clothes without giving the baby a bath.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:01 pm
The talc powder is not healthy, the ones made from corn starch are fine.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:05 pm
There are actually perfumes made for children.

dee's mommy

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:07 pm
Baby powder is not necessary. Just wash with a wet washcloth. If you want, put some soap (that is safe for the baby) on the washcloth.

If you really want powder, just use cornstarch from your pantry. I would steer clear of any from the pharmacy.

veiznisht

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:56 pm
The issue with baby powder is mostly for the mother not the baby. Basically, it is difficult(debatably impossible) to find talc that isn't contaminated with small amounts of asbestos so if that is being breathed in by you regularly or baby, that could cause cancer.

If properly cleaned with wipes, I don't know why baby/toddler would smell bad? We use light diaper cream most of time to prevent rashes anyway so maybe you want something like that?

I don't think the American Pediatric Association reccomends cornstarch either...

sub

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:07 pm
Is mustella still around?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:19 pm
Wipe with a baby wipe for cleanliness.
Put scented moisturizer on the baby's skin for a pleasant scent.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:43 pm
There are 2 types of baby powder- one with talc and one with corn starch. The one with talc can be carcinogenic for female babies if placed on their genitals. The one with corn starch is safe.

Just make sure you have the one with corn starch, and you should be good to go.

teachkids

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:00 pm
Sounds like baby oil may work for you. It also makes it easier to clean baby.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:50 am
It smells nice to you since it puffs into the air and you breathe it in. A clean baby smells nice. You don’t need to add anything. When my babies have a really dirty diaper I remove it in the bathtub and wash them down with only water. They smell fresh and their skin is soft again. (Not sticky...)
I only use powder when they are a little raw, them the diaper cream/ointment has what to stick to.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics