Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Should I be worried?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:52 pm
DS6 just started first grade last week. He's been doing well so far but has had two incidents that are little troubling. School psychologist thinks it's just a little anxiety from transitioning to first grade and thinks we should just monitor the situation for now.

The first incident was last week, he was being a little disruptive and when the teacher tried to redirect him, it got worse and he said school is stupid and you're stupid and everything is stupid. The school psychologist took him to her office, talked with him a bit, he calmed down, went back to class, and was totally fine the rest of the day.

Today he was again being a little disruptive and he told the teacher he was feeling anxious about getting a shot and couldn't stop thinking about it because he hates shots. The thing is, I haven't mentioned shots at all recently (in fact, hearing about this reminded me I should call the pediatrician and ask if flu shots for this year are in yet) and the teacher also can't think of what caused him to think of it just then anyway. Again, he was able to calm down and rejoin the class, but I'm a little freaked out that he randomly started thinking of something that made him nervous and got visibly distressed about it too.

I should mention, this is generally out of character for him. While he can be a bit dramatic at times, and he definitely get nervous about things that he knows about, I've never seen him worry about stuff randomly like that. Also, I would not at all be surprised if he was finding the transition to first grade hard. He is not the best with big changes. Should I be looking into possible anxiety here? Or is this really just general anxiety over what is a pretty big change?
There are no other changes in his life right now, aside from starting first grade.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 3:01 pm
You should be monitoring the situation as suggested by the school psychologist. Its early days.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:43 pm
I always expect some kind of drama in the first 2 weeks of school. Usually by the third week it's like it never happened, and everything calms down.

Just take things one day at a time, and listen to the school. Validate DS if he says he's nervous about something, but don't over reassure him. Just a little reassurance is fine. If you keep insisting that everything's fine, it will just make him more anxious. (I learned that in a parenting class on anxious children. Too much reassurance keeps the child dwelling on their problem.)

Hopefully this too shall pass.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:47 pm
OP the shot may have been a cover up for why he was really anxious.
When I was younger, on the few occasions where I got very anxious/embarrassed in school, (I remember crying because I was scared of the schoolwork/teacher, and then being embarassed about crying) I totally made up the reason why. I remember once saying my tooth was hurting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:50 am
Thank you. I think he might have done something similar to the above poster. I've since talked with him and he said that school is too much work and no fun ☹️

I understand that and it makes total sense. It is very different from what school has been like until now. He's not my oldest, so I already know to expect first grade to take some getting used to, but he seems to be having the hardest time of it. Any suggestions on what I can do for him? I do know his school is very good about these things, at orientation the teachers talked a lot about how first grade is a big adjustment and explained that they take a lot of breaks, especially in the beginning of the year, and they really don't expect the boys to be able to sit and focus for that long at this stage. Is there more we can be doing to help him? I feel so bad for him!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children