Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Snacks for school

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:01 am
My kids are signed up for hot lunch, but I still need to send in 2-3 snacks a day. They like fruit and yogurt, but those are only good for morning snack, they need something more shelf stable for the afternoon. I've been sending pretzels, but they're getting tired of that. I want to stay at least healthy-ish, not too junky or sugary, but doesn't have to be perfect. Preferably something I can order in bulk (all those pretzels, for instance, come in a big box full of small pretzel bags). School is nut free. Also one of my kids has a classmate with a severe dairy allergy, so needs to be pareve as well. TIA.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:04 am
I send pretzel thins (can send with chummus), lite Corn Pops, veggie straws, Beet chips, sliced grapes, blueberries

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:52 am
You can get school-safe snacks in bulk at costco like "Made Good Granola Minis"

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:55 am
Trader joes has chips, pop corn, lots of granola bars. My kids like the annies organic fruit roll ups its really just pureed fruit but it looks like junk food. I get them at whole foods I assume you can buy on amazon as well. Whole fruits like apples can be fine in the afternoon. They also really like the shibolim chocolate covered pretzels.

sweet

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 1:50 pm
My Kids are really into cartwheels snacks. And square pretzel snacks.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 2:26 pm
Pretzels, pop corn, rice cake, potato chips, corn pops,
Granola bars, apple sauce cups, crackers.

lcraighten

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 2:56 pm
I love the Trader Joes' Fruit Buttons or any other fruit leather type snacks. I also do popcorn, cookies (not high sugar - usually tea biscuits). You can also get small chocolates that are not high calorie but super fun to eat.

Potato Sticks, Cheerios or any other cereal they like.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 3:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kids are signed up for hot lunch, but I still need to send in 2-3 snacks a day. They like fruit and yogurt, but those are only good for morning snack, they need something more shelf stable for the afternoon. I've been sending pretzels, but they're getting tired of that. I want to stay at least healthy-ish, not too junky or sugary, but doesn't have to be perfect. Preferably something I can order in bulk (all those pretzels, for instance, come in a big box full of small pretzel bags). School is nut free. Also one of my kids has a classmate with a severe dairy allergy, so needs to be pareve as well. TIA.

You can freeze blended type yogurts (not the ones that need the fruit from bottom mixed in) and they will be perfect temperature by afternoon. Also if they're hungry and want sandwiches, you can freeze tuna sandwiches, cheese sandwiches as well as peanut butter and they will have thawed by afternoon.

We like to send applesauce pouches, Matt's Munchies Natural fruit leather, popcorn, Pop Corners.

Here are some links for ordering.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....70477

There are also humus singles that are shelf stable but you have to find a brand that tastes good to you.

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 3:58 pm
Did you try dole fruit cups? They have so many kinds..

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 4:13 pm
Mini corn cakes - sold in a box of individual packs (I think Paskesz)
Applesauce cups or pouches
Small boxes of raisins
"Olives to go" cups
Unsweetened dried mango - a little expensive so it's a special treat, but they love it
Simply Balanced brand fruit strips or twists, sold at Target
Kind Kids granola bars - if they can take "may contain peanuts" items - these are allowed in my kids' schools, although actual nuts aren't
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children