Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Seeking immediate... help

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 11:21 am
My son is 5 just started first grade (kitta alef)
He was in a private before, and I always asked his morah what she thinks about his speech since from my side I felt like it's not the best. his morah always told to me that he is doing fine he will outgrow it , she didnt believe in him needing speech therapy and I listened to her. Now my son started cheider , his rebbi voiced to me that academically he is doing good , he is a bright kid ,yet he is struggling with the sounds because his speech ain't perfect. He is 5 I do wanna hire a speech therapist immediately, I dont want him to have to feel bad about his sounds ... especially in kitta alef it's most important when they do start to learn the sounds of the letters and ivrie. Where do I turn to? Age 5 is big and dont know if he can be eligible. I live in monsey . What's my first step to go about this?

P.s. I learned that next time I should do what Is right for my child dispite if morah says otherwise. It has taught me . "A MOTHER KNOWS BEST!!!

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 11:58 am
Don't give up please. It's crucial that your son gets the help that he needs NOW as a pose to later when it'll affect his self esteem much much more.
There's this guy Porges that's supposed to be a very good speech therapist. Call ECHO, see what they can recommend within your insurance.
B'hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:11 pm
Thankks for your input. Whats echo's phone number?

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 12:17 pm
845-425-9750

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 1:56 pm
I just want to give you some encouragement. In the course of our journey in helping our child with his learning difficulties, we met with a pediatric neurologist in a top hospital in the US. He told us that while many therapists and educators will tell you that you have to treat issues early before age 5, some say 8 or 9, he said that research is showing that its really not entirely true. The brain continues to make connections and build neural pathways for our whole lives. Its true that its most active at a young age but while it may take longer in a teenager, his research with stroke victims has shown that the brain can always develop and gain new skills. Every time I hear a therapist say oyyy you really have to do it young (when my child isn't young!!!!), I remember this and feel encouraged. There is always hope for change.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children