Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Summer Day Camp (Israel)

Yiddishe Mamma

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 5:23 am
(not sure if this should be on budgeting forum or finance, but either way...)

Still climbing out from the summer financial crunch (and full speed ahead into the Yom Tov financial crunch Laugh ) and I'm hoping you can help me out so that I can think ahead for next summer with more information. (yeah... really.)

Did you send kids to day camp in Israel this summer? "real" camp, backyard camp, other?

Can you specify general neighborhood, what kind of day camp, and how much you paid?? This would be a real help for me. TIA!

2gether

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:04 am
Which part of camp are you refering to? The July/Tammuz camp that the girls have or Bein Hazmanim/August?

The July/Tammuz camp is not optional, the girls need to go because 99% of their friends go and the girls have too much vacation as it is. That cost I think around 150ish
Bein Hazmanim/August - most Israelis don't send to any day camp then, unless they are working and have no other solution. That costs alot, I.e. 250 shekel/kid/week

If you are thinking about next yr. then thats Gr8!
The best thing to do is to put away a bit a money in the mos. that there are no extra expenses (I know- haha) for the expensive mos.: Purim, Pesach, Summer, Back to School, Tishrei. You need an annual budject in addition to your monthly budjet.

Another solution is a traveling camp I.e. sharing days with other moms.

Good Luck!

Shuly

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:48 am
The July camp in my girls' schools was free.
The boys have cheder until Tisha Bav.

The cheapest August camp for girls in my area was 185 shekalim a week.
For boys, the camps are about 300-1000 shekalim a week, depending on their age.

Yiddishe Mamma

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:32 am
Thanks for a great and thorough answer- anyone else out there?
I meant bein hazmanim season, when the school's camp is over.

2gether

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 3:46 pm
Yiddishe Mamma wrote:
Thanks for a great and thorough answer- anyone else out there?
I meant bein hazmanim season, when the school's camp is over.

Do you work in the summer? If not that keep them home.

Otherwise its a whole differant story, this is how I see people manage:
mom takes off week one, dad week 2 and the third week by family/friends/who knows,
or: or dad all 3 if he doesn't work (kollel etc.)
or: mom and dad one week together and go on vacation and the rest in some camp

as far as camps its hard to even find a camp for all of bein hazmanim depending on where you live, alot only run for the first 10 days or 2 weeks and/or only for girls, so take off after that. (But you'll really need time off for the first few days of elul until the girls start school/the first few days when they finish in middle of the morning...)The real camps are the prices quoted above and I'd be wary about sending to backyard camps unless run by at least highschoolers (not spending the whole day at the park etc.)

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 3:53 pm
Hm, mine are little, but I didn't notice anyone signing their kids up for camp in August. Almost everyone had a pool subscription, there were yishuv activities, and everyone was on family vacations. So that's how they managed it around here.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 4:01 pm
I find that there are some daycamps (usually with a specific focus: an art camp, a soccer camp, etc.) that run in the first half of August, but those last 2 weeks of August there are almost no formal daycamps. Many families go on vacation then, and everything up North is packed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains