Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Do Pediatric Dentists Really Exist?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:26 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
BP dentistry in BP! Awesome place & amazing docs!

What insurances do they accept?

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:19 am
We don't use a pediatric dentist, but of course they exist. OP, sadly some dental care is like that. You should definitely switch.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:43 am
I do not use pediatric dentists (or any dentist) that has a policy not to allow moms in the room. I called around and asked this one question of the staff before even making that first appointment. (That and if they use digital vs. old-fashioned x-rays).

What you described sounds horrific, and you should name them so people know. Do not go back. That sounds like a torture chamber.

My last point - I intend to say this gently, but it might come out harsher just due to the written vs. spoken word. You came here asking if this was normal. You know it can't be normal. Were you not trusting yourself because all your friends use and love this practice? Time to tune out the clamoring masses and tune in to your own gut. How can you even have a question if this is normal or not? Who cares what everyone else thinks of this practice? You know it's terrible. Trust yourself.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:56 am
If they take Jersey Care they are more likely to "find" numerous cavities and do more x-ray s. Be careful.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:05 am
That’s horrible! Why did your husband leave the room? That’s really not ok at all. I have an amazing dentist if you want to travel 45 minutes. They are super loving and warm and so professional.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:37 am
Is there something I'm missing here? I have never taken a three year old to the dentist, and I don't see how they are old enough to cooperate. If it was a small cavity, why couldn't you wait until he's a little older?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:38 am
Of course they exist

nchr

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:34 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Is there something I'm missing here? I have never taken a three year old to the dentist, and I don't see how they are old enough to cooperate. If it was a small cavity, why couldn't you wait until he's a little older?

I take the kids to the dentist before 1 year old... its recommended by the ADA. Mostly at that age it is just counting teeth and such, but then kids become accustomed to a dentist. I never give my children bottles after I stop with formula around 1, but many people do and those children especially need dental care. I've also never had a cooperation issue but that may come down to personality. We don't use a pediatric dentist so my kids come to my dentist and sit on my lap until they ask to sit on their own.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:40 am
I am not in Lakewood and cannot give you recommendations, but YES there are real pediatric dentists out there!!! They are just sometimes hard to find.
We went through several before finding our current. Dentists who brought in team of nurses to pin my children down! Dentists to gave my kids gas for simple exam to calm them. Dentists who wanted to do simple cavaties under sedation. I thought we will never find anyone normal and finally we did. He is amazing. Sings to my kids, tells them honestly everything he is doing, is so patient. No need to hold anyone down, no gas, and no crazy sedation being suggested. RUN from any dentist that does not have the right temperment to be working with nervous kids.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:50 am
Another vote for Dr. Figdor. I took my three year old there and she LOVED it. The hygienist was super nice, let her turn on the light... it was her first ever visit to the dentist and BH, she can't wait to go back.
The doctor was really nice too, totally kid friendly. (And didn't find any cavities in her teeth, BH)

I really recommend him.

mommyla

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:54 am
I'm sorry that happened to your son!

I take my kids to Dr. Peikes at Lakewood Family Dental. It's not a pediatric practice, so the exam rooms are just standard rooms, but there are (junky) prizes for the kids and the dentist and hygienists are very patient and great with the kids. We've been very happy there. I don't find that they "invent" cavities and any cavities that my kids have had were filled without sedation (!), just laughing gas when necessary.

ETA: it's not a pediatric practice, but he's a pediatric dentist, and the kids love him.

Last edited by mommyla on Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:56 am
That’s insane!!! Sounds beyond traumatic to me. My dc was terrified of dentists. We have an amazing pediatric dentist. Despite my son crying, screaming, & pushing his hand away he remained calm & patient & worked with us & my son. Laughing gas but nothing more. Video screens with kids choice of video on ceiling, tons of prizes, balloons in shape kid requests, and most importantly nice, kid friendly staff. My dc’s most recent fillings were done with no drama & he is no longer afraid of the dentist. (Now he says the doctor is worse Smile. Although we have a very nice & patient doctor as well.)

Definitely stay far far far away from that dentist, and reassure your kid you won’t ever let that happen again!! Gosh some kids may have life long trauma from such an experience!

esther36

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:05 pm
simcha2 wrote:
If your willing to travel 40 minutes I have an amazing pediatric dentist practice. Warm, loving, patient. Pm me if interested

We must use the same place! Cuz I was going to say the same to op! If it's tots to teens in Holmdel it's totally worth the trip! They're so nice, kid friendly, gentle and kind...

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:36 pm
I use a pediatric dentist in bp. Dr Seidenfeld. I held my 7.5 year old at the last visit since he was nervous. Dr had no problem with that. When one of my sensory kids screamed all he said to the child was “ maybe if you scream very loud some one outside will hear and come help you”. Very friendly, never lets a child see the needles..... explains what he’s doing as he does it...

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 2:42 pm
I have Jersey Care and use Dr Winokur's practice for my little ones. My youngest is on the spectrum and has sensory issues as well. Never had any issues with them, found them to be respectful and understanding, and kind and informative to my kids. They all did great there. They give sunglasses to block the light. They offer stickers and prizes. They talk about what will happen before they do anything. They don't find cavities in my kids if they aren't there. Some never had any fillings at all. Some had one or two. Pretty normal I think. Some just have better enamel than others, I guess.

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:02 pm
My pediatric dentist prefers to leave parents in the waiting room. They do that because many parents cause their kids to have more anxiety than if they weren't there. ("Don't worry sheifele, if you hurt even a little bit, the dentist will stop"-putting thoughts of pain in the kids mind)

When my dd needed me in the room with her, they called me in. If she was fine without me, I stayed out. The staff is great, works well with kids and their parents, and dd loves going to her. She has movies the kids can watch while in the chair-regular and jewish ones. Also toys and fun things to look at and play with. Waiting room is fun as well.

If anyone is interested, my pediactric dentists son also became a pediatric dentist. He learned from his mom, so he's gotta be good. He is starting a new job in Lakewood in the next couple of weeks. If anyone is interested, I can give you his name, and possibly find out the name of the office he will be working in.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:12 pm
Of course pediatric dentists exists. Ezra medical center in BP is phenomenal! When my kids were really little they let me sit in the chair with my child on my lap.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:28 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Of course pediatric dentists exists. Ezra medical center in BP is phenomenal! When my kids were really little they let me sit in the chair with my child on my lap.

Dr. Kroll was the best.
Wonder is she’s practicing elsewhere.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:30 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Dr. Kroll was the best.
Wonder is she’s practicing elsewhere.

Yes! My kids were so sad when she left. Dr. Gold has been a wonderful replacement though.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:35 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
What insurances do they accept?

with medicaid I think empire & fidelis
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics