Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Ideas to make this master bathroom useful/comfortable?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:36 am
Hi,

I'm posting in "Israel related Inquiries" because I feel like in the US apartments are not made/rented this way. And there may be solutions that are better available here in Israel. But I'll welcome all ideas!

Basically we just made Aliyah and our apartment is bright shiny and new and in many ways laid out intelligently. There are a few aspects though that are giving me a hard time and I would love to know how others solve these practical problems.

Basically, it's super bare. I always knew that Israeli apartments don't usually have closets built in, and in many ways I prefer it this way. We can get wardrobes and customise the storage we want and where we want it. What I did not see coming is:

1) no bathroom mirrors, in any bathroom.

2) No cabinets at all (either under the sink, or a mirrored cabinet type thing over the sink) in master bathroom. Zero storage or place to put anything. Even the sink is tiny and a toothbrush doesn't really have room to rest.

3) Also in master bathroom, no walls around shower or even a good way to hang a shower curtain around it. The bathroom is covered with tile till pretty high up, so anything I'd want to install would be permanent and so would need full landlord buy-in and I'm not sure we can get that. The current situation means that the one or two times I tried to take a "normal" shower--showerhead hanging on the wall and I can enjoy the warm water and use two hands to lather up or whatever--rather than me carefully holding the showerhead--everything around gets wet. Basically the whole toilet area gets wet (soaking wet tissues more than once) and so does the floor all around. Actually the floor getting all wet happens no matter what I do, whenever someone takes a shower.

Solutions we've thought of or attempted so far:

1) For mirrors, I found out that I can get mirrors from Ikea that I can stick to the tile wall, so maybe I'll do that.

2) It doesn't solve the zero storage problem though... Right now I attached some suction hooks to the wall and have all cosmetics, toothbrushes etc. hanging in their travel bags the way I packed them more than a month ago when we left home. I would really love to put them in a cabinet! Any ideas? (I'm considering asking the landlord for permission to install a mirrored cabinet over the sink... but not sure he'll agree.)

I did see Keter manufactures a plastic cabinet to go under the sink. But I feel like that would not be the most useful storage for what I actually want to store (small items like toothbrush and dental floss) and the thought of trying to keep this constantly wet bathroom clean with an aftermarket plastic cabinet there (hard to mop or sponge) does not sound great...

3) My husband found a rod for a curtain but he was only able to install it on the wall higher than the tile. So we have a shower curtain hanging and it provides some privacy, but as soon as a stream of water hits it it gets pushed aside, so it doesn't help at all for allowing me to take a normal shower without dousing the toilet. It also just looks funny--it ends like two feet above the ground.

I hope this is somewhat coherent... All thoughts welcome!

I'm also just really curious: is this normal? do many Israel cabinets get rented without mirrors, cabinets, ability to hang a curtain, etc.? what does everybody do???? (if we owned, would be different... we'd just install things!)

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:45 am
There are shower rods that are held in by tension at least in the US. They have a spring and don't damage walls.

2gether

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:07 am
shower rod - you need to get a tension rod, if you have no wall then you need to get one that is half a regtangle ("reish" shaped).

in terms of hanging things you have a few options:
-drilling nails in between the tiles
-using heavy double sided tape, you can get in at a tambur-hardware store, just make sure to tell them what you want it for so they give you the highest strength
suction cup, cups, shelves, towels rods etc.

get hooks that hang on the back off the door for towels (actually get one for each bedroom too). keep clean towels in the bedroom closet

for shampoos etc. there are racks that hang over the hose or sit on the corner ledge

Is your washing machine in the bathroom? I always store things on top of that
Do you have a window sill to utilize or space on top of the toilet?
If its not a built in toilet then they have storage that attaches right to the size of above the toilet

Try keeping cosmetics in the bedroom

essie14

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 8:41 am
Yes, this is how apartments are rented here. I am about to move out of an apartment with a master bath very similar. The landlord refused to install anything for us and we were only supposed to be living here for a few months temporarily. It turned into longer but BH we are moving into a home that we bought. It was 1 yr old and hardly lived in when we moved in.
If you think you will be in this apartment 2 yrs or longer I would ask the landlord to install things for you. If he says no, offer to go halfway. I know you don't own this but it will enhance your quality of life.
I put in toilet paper rods at my own expense because I have kids and the TP was getting wet from being on the floor.
I keep everything in my bedroom except toothbrush, toothpaste and floss and shower stuff.
That is all kept in baskets with suction cups.
My landlord installed a super cheap L shaped curtain rod for the master bath stall shower. The bathroom floods every time we shower and the water damage is ridiculous. Not my problem and thank G-d I am moving out. If you can explain that he is being penny-wise and pound foolish, maybe he will install an enclosure. They are only 1000 shekel or less.
But the water all over the bathroom has caused major damage to his brand new bathroom.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:05 am
Thank you all for your answers.

To clarify:
I did get a bunch of suction hooks. They're great.

I don't mind limiting my storage in the master bathroom but I need SOME. And I need my tissues that are on the back of the toilet not to get soaked every time I take a shower.

It can't use a tension rod because it needs the L-shape type. Will look into whether that can be installed between the tiles.

How is an enclosure 1,000 shekel or less? I think he would do that if it is really that cheap. There is already mold or mildew all over the bathroom from previous tenant. (How do I clean that, btw? All the grout or whatever it's called around the toilet or sink is black...)

How do people actually step out of the shower with this? I can keep a sponga thing handy but even using that the floor is still wet... I have a towel that I just use on the wet floor each time but it's just gross. I long for normal dry non-gross bathmat.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:20 am
Definitely use the Ikea stick on mirror.

Buy an over toilet storage center which doesn't need installation. If you only find one with open shelves, then use pretty baskets on the shelves.
https://www.countrydoor.com/p/.....w_wcB

Buy a second shower curtain and sew the extra 2 feet to the bottom. You might also need to make a loop on each side on the bottom and hook the loops over an on the wall suction hook so that the curtain doesn't move from the water force while you're using it.

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all for your answers.

To clarify:
I did get a bunch of suction hooks. They're great.

I don't mind limiting my storage in the master bathroom but I need SOME. And I need my tissues that are on the back of the toilet not to get soaked every time I take a shower.

It can't use a tension rod because it needs the L-shape type. Will look into whether that can be installed between the tiles.

How is an enclosure 1,000 shekel or less? I think he would do that if it is really that cheap. There is already mold or mildew all over the bathroom from previous tenant. (How do I clean that, btw? All the grout or whatever it's called around the toilet or sink is black...)

How do people actually step out of the shower with this? I can keep a sponga thing handy but even using that the floor is still wet... I have a towel that I just use on the wet floor each time but it's just gross. I long for normal dry non-gross bathmat.

Yes, is totally possible to install an L shaped curtain rod into the grout between the tiles. You can similarly hang cabinets and mirrors, soap and tooth brush holders.

Mold: first, kill it with bleach and a scrubby. This is war. Then remove it with a product called "Anti-Kalk" - it comes in a grey spray bottle, or wipes. Amazing stuff.

Teomima

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:51 am
ra_mom wrote:
Buy a second shower curtain and sew the extra 2 feet to the bottom. You might also need to make a loop on each side on the bottom and hook the loops over an on the wall suction hook so that the curtain doesn't move from the water force while you're using it.

If you sew together two curtains, you can add weights to the bottom curtain so it hangs straight down.

Rappel

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:58 am
Another fun method for hanging things without damage: there's velcro for walls which you can buy on AliExpress. It's specially made for hanging pictures, but should work fine in the bathroom. I'm try and find the link.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:00 am
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Ra_mom I did think about that--using additional suction cups and attaching the shower curtain at the bottom. I will gratefully accept any additional tips that come to mind on how to accomplish this successfully, especially if anyone has done this before. I can't attach it to the wall, at least not on both sides, because it's an L-shape. So I was thinking maybe I can attach it directly to the floor... Also how to attach the two shower curtains...

Also for how to attach weights to the bottom as per Teomima's suggestion. How would you do this? Have you done this before?

The water pressure is really high which is great but part of why it seems impossible to keep the water from "blowing" the shower curtain and it needs to be securely attached (or I guess very heavily weighted).

And if anyone has any links to attachments that seem good, I would also gratefully accept, especially since my Hebrew web browsing skills are a bit limited. I do know the Ikea hooks and actually a friend of mine might be going to Ikea today and can get for me.

Once I figure out how to keep the water safely in the shower enclosure, I can consider over-toilet storage etc... Right now it's a water park there lol

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:22 am
https://www.countrydoor.com/p/.....w_wcB

seriously this looks like a bathroom that does not get doused with water on a regular basis. I'm getting a little jealous

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:31 am
You can buy a mirrored medicine cabinet in Ikea and drill it into the wall, even on tile.

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.countrydoor.com/p/seacliff-space-saver-29-040271.html?source=c001&code=furniture&medium=inhaus&link=040271&cm_mmc=google-_-pla_campaign_mobile-_-furniture-_-040271&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_OzrBRDmARIsAAIdQ_IRphgNS_RFY6sDenyvtAeqo5vrKXvS__ZLqvIP3U7pYKRqlgslUxkaAi6oEALw_wcB

seriously this looks like a bathroom that does not get doused with water on a regular basis. I'm getting a little jealous

Lol. Israel: where you can pee and shower at the same time. Slogan: "Why wait?"

grace413

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:02 am
Rappel wrote:
Lol. Israel: where you can pee and shower at the same time. Slogan: "Why wait?"

Right, we are busy people here!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Ra_mom I did think about that--using additional suction cups and attaching the shower curtain at the bottom. I will gratefully accept any additional tips that come to mind on how to accomplish this successfully, especially if anyone has done this before. I can't attach it to the wall, at least not on both sides, because it's an L-shape. So I was thinking maybe I can attach it directly to the floor... Also how to attach the two shower curtains...

Also for how to attach weights to the bottom as per Teomima's suggestion. How would you do this? Have you done this before?

The water pressure is really high which is great but part of why it seems impossible to keep the water from "blowing" the shower curtain and it needs to be securely attached (or I guess very heavily weighted).

And if anyone has any links to attachments that seem good, I would also gratefully accept, especially since my Hebrew web browsing skills are a bit limited. I do know the Ikea hooks and actually a friend of mine might be going to Ikea today and can get for me.

Once I figure out how to keep the water safely in the shower enclosure, I can consider over-toilet storage etc... Right now it's a water park there lol

Just sew the 2 shower curtains other. Needle & thread. Same with adding the weights on the bottom. Just sew them into a hem.

Btw, standard shower curtains are 72" but I did a search and there's a whole line of extra long 96' shower curtains which will give you the extra 2 feet you need. I think they are hotel style where they hang from the ceiling.

https://www.amazon.com/X-Long-.....ydWU=

This one says it has a weighted hem.
https://www.amazon.com/Aoohome.....r=8-5

I am sure there are equivalents in Israel.

About the suction hooks, can you use the same ones you've been using for cosmetics on one side of the wall?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 12:12 am
LOL Grace413 and Rappel!

Thanks RaMom, I will look for extra long curtains like that.

I think I can use those kinds of suction hooks... The floor tiles are a bit less smooth so I need to try it out but it may work. Maybe I would just try to attach to the wall nearby rather than the floor, since water will still escape on the floor so I might as well have an easy and clean way to sponga it back into the shower area.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions