Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Chasidish Community - Linden
Previous  1  2

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:01 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
They’re not vetting or controlling who wants to move.
Someone moving in from the MO community would not buy through this Vaad.
Only those who are looking to join their community and use their resources-Mikva, shul, free bussing to BP schools.
They’re trying to artificially preserve RE prices.

Hmmm... They're trying to keep prices *low* by forcing people to go through a vaad to join their community? That sounds more likely to drive prices *up.*

Why not just charge for services instead of limiting who can move there?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:10 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Hmmm... They're trying to keep prices *low* by forcing people to go through a vaad to join their community? That sounds more likely to drive prices *up.*

Why not just charge for services instead of limiting who can move there?

They’re not forcing anyone.
This is a condition to joining their kehilla.
The sole purpose of moving there was for affordable housing for their constituents.
I’m done.
I won’t participate in your bashing party.
Gut Shabbos

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:13 am
Amother saddlebrown, no one is bashing anyone.
It's very not jewish like not to allow people that are not from your kehilla not to use your shul or mikva. I've never heard of such a thing. Every jew should be welcome in every shul.
Maybe that's why the community is staying so tiny and not flourishing, because people are not welcome there.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:13 am
I understand what you are saying that they are trying to contol the prices because they want to attract more people to come live there for the affordable prices. What happens sometimes with such places is that a rich person buys a few cheap houses, for investment & then flips for a much higher price, to make money, which in turn hikes up the prices. Even individuals do that, buy but don't want to move there & flip.

I still think though if you knock into a non-jewish house you might get a cheaper price.

mfb

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:21 am
I’m presuming they’re doing this to prevent what happened in places like Staten Island. The prices there started out reasonable but now they are almost double just a few years later.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:22 am
About allowing other people to use shul....
Most shtetl enclaves started with a Rebbe moving out & then chassidim follow the rebbe , that's how it grows. Yes all of them have rules, if you want to go live next to your rebbe, there are usually different type of rules regarding Yidishkeit. The point of a Rebbe moving out is usually to be away from city life, so no they don't want just anybody.
Here it's different because I don't know if their chassidus is that big, that they would have such a large community just from their own chassidim.

leah233

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:26 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Amother saddlebrown, no one is bashing anyone.
It's very not jewish like not to allow people that are not from your kehilla not to use your shul or mikva. I've never heard of such a thing. Every jew should be welcome in every shul.
Maybe that's why the community is staying so tiny and not flourishing, because people are not welcome there.

If you are not buying through their VAAD you are saying you are not interested in being a part of their community. As such they have no reason to welcome you.

If a community was made for the purpose of affordable housing they will be hostile to those who drive the prices up and defeat it's purpose. Ditto if it was made for any other purpose and outsiders want to come to take advantage of thier amenities but destroy the purpose they formed the community for.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:28 am
Well, their chassidus is tiny to begin with and the Rabbi does not live in Linden. So there's almost no chance of Linden ever becoming a large community.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:31 am
mfb wrote:
I’m presuming they’re doing this to prevent what happened in places like Staten Island. The prices there started out reasonable but now they are almost double just a few years later.

It happens all the time, prices go by supply & demand. When a community starts, you can still buy for cheap, that's the way they attract people to come, but not everyone is willing to be a pioneer & take the risk, in case it doesn't work out.
Once more people start moving out there, then people can ask for more money because there is more of a demand, when it's established already.
If you directly to non-jewish owner, in any such places where there were existing houses before you find for much cheaper, because they don't chap how much their real estate is now worth by these Jewish settlers. When they get large offers from Jewish people + they're getting annoyed from Chassidim overtaking their community, they are ready to leave.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:38 am
It might be able to grow if another small rebbe/chassidus lines up side by side with them. Also if they are takka keeping the prices affordable then people will be attracted to buy there because Koson is a pretty neutral place so why would people care to daven in their shul & join them. Anyways there is no other chassidish shul as of yet there.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:39 am
There are 2 points I want to make . 1. The idea of trying to control prices is great. They are trying to make it affordable for people . As someone said in an earlier post, they are preventing another Staten Island situation . I live in SI before chassidim started moving here, and prices skyrocketed.
2. I don’t know how much research anyone has done into the actual area of Linden, there is a reason why houses are cheaper there. There is refinery in Linden, which releases a lot of fumes into the air . There are many environmental factors. In Linden as well as SI, the rates of all types of cancers are unproportionally high to say the other boroughs in New York. One theory explaining the high rate of cancer in SI, is due to the winds blowing from Linden. Many won’t speak publicly about this, and I’ll make it vague..many in the healthcare professions in SI and surrounding areas of Jersey know how high the cancer rates really are .

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:42 am
All shtetls started with Rebbe moving out with a few pioneer chassidim that settled with Rebbe. Think Monroe, Skver, Kasho, Nitra, Gibbers, Tosh,

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 6:41 pm
So I'm also looking in Linden the community is growing very fast. I'm nervous about the cancer rates that are discussed here is there a way that I can find out actual information?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 24 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
So I'm also looking in Linden the community is growing very fast. I'm nervous about the cancer rates that are discussed here is there a way that I can find out actual information?

Wonder same thing. Why would people move there

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 4:35 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

I haven't heard it being an issue. Are you confusing it with Tom's River's history?

cnc

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:09 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I haven't heard it being an issue. Are you confusing it with Tom's River's history?

Toms River was the water .

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 5:44 am
More than a undred families have moved there in the past few years. Have there been any serious health issues?

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 8:42 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
There are 2 points I want to make . 1. The idea of trying to control prices is great. They are trying to make it affordable for people . As someone said in an earlier post, they are preventing another Staten Island situation . I live in SI before chassidim started moving here, and prices skyrocketed.
2. I don’t know how much research anyone has done into the actual area of Linden, there is a reason why houses are cheaper there. There is refinery in Linden, which releases a lot of fumes into the air . There are many environmental factors. In Linden as well as SI, the rates of all types of cancers are unproportionally high to say the other boroughs in New York. One theory explaining the high rate of cancer in SI, is due to the winds blowing from Linden. Many won’t speak publicly about this, and I’ll make it vague..many in the healthcare professions in SI and surrounding areas of Jersey know how high the cancer rates really are .

This is what I’m asking about. I’m trying to figure it out I googled cancer rates in union county and they look pretty low so I’m just wondering about this.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 25 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
Yes, this is accurate.
They are trying to control the real estate prices in Linden from inflating due to the influx of frum families.
I actually respect that and I wish them lots of hatzlocha!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics