Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 1:17 pm
Do you have a cookie jar and use it for cookies? When I see one that I would like I tell myself that I'll have to constantly refill it, it will be harder to tell the kids don't touch when it's just sitting there on the counter, and the most important I won't be able to hold myself back Rolling Eyes . I just put the cookies in a Tupperware type of container and hide it. I don't put them in the freezer because I usually bake cookies when needed, not just to have, which kind of defeats the purpose of a cookie jar. I put raw cookie dough in the freezer when I don't want to bake the whole thing.

enneamom

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 1:20 pm
I like cookie jars. They save those last 2 cookies that nobody remembers about from sitting in the cabinet/freezer for eternity. When they're on display they're more apt to be eaten, which, I admit, can be a con sometimes! But it's usually a pro, since it's not just the "new" cookies being eaten.

Now I really must get off the computer and go bake brownies for Shabbos. Happy cookie-ing!

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 1:48 pm
Number three stole the cookie from the cookie jar. Who, me? yes, you! Couldn't be! Then who?---ahh, summer camp memories. But I digress.

Cookie jars are in the class of objects that are charming, quaint and utterly unnecessary clutter if you're not running a living history museum. Tupperware-type containers are more air-tight, can be put in the freezer for long-term storage, and, if you hide them on high shelves, run less risk of breaking your instep or shattering into smithereens if you have to stand en pointe and pull them forward with a broom handle to retrieve them.

Two cookies fit very nicely in an empty peanut-butter jar , plastic deli-type container or small Tupperware of the type we use to bring lunch to work. Two cookies in cookie jar? Waste of storage space and less than optimal to maintain freshness. too much air for too little cookie.

Yo'ma, if your soul thirsts for cookie jars--some of them are adorable--and you have wall space--consider having a collection for decorative display. Put up a series of wall-mounted shelves (or get a cabinet if you have the floor space), buy whatever strikes your fancy, and show the jars off as folk art, in the kitchen, dining room or living room. People collect Toby jugs, lunch boxes, baskets and teapots--why not cookie jars?

Another idea if you yearn for just one cookie jar, is to repurpose it as a container for something else: without the lid as a crock for long-handled kitchen utensils like spatulas and wooden mixing spoons, or with the lid to stash receipts, spare change, reading glasses or anything else that you want to keep handy but out of sight.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 21 2012, 4:52 pm
zaq wrote:
Yo'ma, if your soul thirsts for cookie jars--some of them are adorable--and you have wall space--consider having a collection for decorative display. Put up a series of wall-mounted shelves (or get a cabinet if you have the floor space), buy whatever strikes your fancy, and show the jars off as folk art, in the kitchen, dining room or living room. People collect Toby jugs, lunch boxes, baskets and teapots--why not cookie jars?

No, no, I don't like things just for show. I like practical things and I would only buy one if I would actually use it for it's intended purpose.

tsiggelle

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 2:04 pm
I have no difficulty in eating cookies straight from the freezer, so I personally dont need a cookie jar. sorry I cant help you.

enneamom

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 7:41 pm
zaq wrote:
Number three stole the cookie from the cookie jar. Who, me? yes, you! Couldn't be! Then who?---ahh, summer camp memories. But I digress.

Cookie jars are in the class of objects that are charming, quaint and utterly unnecessary clutter if you're not running a living history museum. Tupperware-type containers are more air-tight, can be put in the freezer for long-term storage, and, if you hide them on high shelves, run less risk of breaking your instep or shattering into smithereens if you have to stand en pointe and pull them forward with a broom handle to retrieve them.

Two cookies fit very nicely in an empty peanut-butter jar , plastic deli-type container or small Tupperware of the type we use to bring lunch to work. Two cookies in cookie jar? Waste of storage space and less than optimal to maintain freshness. too much air for too little cookie.

Another idea if you yearn for just one cookie jar, is to repurpose it as a container for something else: without the lid as a crock for long-handled kitchen utensils like spatulas and wooden mixing spoons, or with the lid to stash receipts, spare change, reading glasses or anything else that you want to keep handy but out of sight.

I use a clear one, so you see what's inside. It's made from glass-looking plastic, so no fear of shattering. I dump all my various varieties of cookies in there together: leftover orphaned ones, store-bought, freshly baked, and otherwise. It saves my shelves from being cluttered with countless opened packages of cookies (were are somewhat cookie-holic around here), and the newer ones go on bottom of the jar, so you have to finish the older ones first to get to them.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Dec 22 2012, 11:37 pm
I would love a cookie jar but I would never find cookies with a dh that loves them, a stomache that loves them too and a baby who climbs ALL over the place!!

Therefore my cookies get stored on a high shelf in the candy closet or in a bag in the freezer (unfortunately my tummy still finds them fortunately dh doesn't like frozen cookies and ds can't reach them LOL )

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 5:16 am
enneamom wrote:

I use a clear one, so you see what's inside. It's made from glass-looking plastic, so no fear of shattering. I dump all my various varieties of cookies in there together: leftover orphaned ones, store-bought, freshly baked, and otherwise. It saves my shelves from being cluttered with countless opened packages of cookies (were are somewhat cookie-holic around here), and the newer ones go on bottom of the jar, so you have to finish the older ones first to get to them.

You don't find the flavor s mesh together when you store different types in one container?

enneamom

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:16 pm
yo'ma wrote:
enneamom wrote:

You don't find the flavor s mesh together when you store different types in one container?

No, it's usually fine, but you do have to be careful with some kinds of cookies. Like mushier ones or ones with gooey icing.

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 3:27 pm
zaq wrote:

omg I was about to start my thread precisely the same way ... #3 that's me Mr. Green

as for the cookie jar dilemma

~ I put a napkin in a basket & the cookies get eaten before there is time to put them away ... Cheese

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 9:46 am
I am happy to say I finally bought myself a cookie jar. It's not really a cookie jar, but a nice size clear container with a decent cover to seal it. So far, I filled it up at separate times with chocolate chip cookies, sprinkle cookies, popcorn, and now plain vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting in the fridge. Smile It's a nice addition to my kitchen, but I CAN'T HAVE ANY!!!! The last part was a reminder for me. Wink

tigerwife

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:04 am
Not me!

So I’ve been searching for a beautiful ornamental cookie jar for years, something colorful and clever. I may even bake cookies if I find one I like. For now, on the rare occasions that fresh cookies are baked, they get stored in a ziplock in the freezer and are promptly forgotten. For some reason, frozen cookies do not evoke the warm chocolate-y chippy goodness of my childhood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics