Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Marrying cousins and genetic diseases
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:32 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I was on vacation once with a Belzer and she said that cousins marrying is common in her circles.

I'm belz and I don't even know 1 person that is married to a reletive! Someone made a mistake.
Mostly rebbish do that.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:37 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
This thread is from 2018

True, but someone bumped it up for a reason, which means that it's still relevant.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:40 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
True, but someone bumped it up for a reason, which means that it's still relevant.

It was probably bumped because it's in a current thread's "related topics".

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 4:13 am
imasoftov wrote:
It was probably bumped because it's in a current thread's "related topics".

"Related" topics? I see what you did there! LOL

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 5:54 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
My parents were NOT related b4 they got married- I have 2 siblings that are hearing impaired - turns out that its genetic - if 2 ppl with that same gene get married there are big chances that the kids will be hearing impaired.... Dor Yesharim does NOT test for it - there is a separate test for that - (forgot the name of it offhand) it used to take weeks to get results - therefore delaying a shidduch etc -however todays days it takes a day or two.... All my siblings are a carrier of this gene - however we all bh got married to non carriers and bh all of our kids have 100% hearing ability.

All ashkenazi Jews are already very closely related. Ie we share a lot of common genes. That is WHY we do Dor Yesharim, who btw keep adding tests all the time. (Maybe your hearing issue is not common to ashkennazim)

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:37 am
Raisin wrote:
That is WHY we do Dor Yesharim, who btw keep adding tests all the time. (Maybe your hearing issue is not common to ashkennazim)

DY and Jscreen and most of the commonly used Jewish screening options only screen for fatal genes.
Ie:
“Dor Yeshorim screens for fatal and debilitating recessive genetic diseases prevalent in the Jewish population – both Ashkenazi and Sephardi- worldwide.”

Hearing issues impact quality of life and not life span. (Have cousins with connexion 26)

DY also doesn’t screen for all genes - better to use jscreen

sima

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:37 pm
as far as I know Dor Yeshorim tests for diseases specific to the Ashkenaz or Sephardi communities depending on which you belong to. So, Tay Sachs, etc..... this is different than the types of things you get when cousins marry each other like higher risks of chromosomal abnormalities. Dor Yesharim, if I am correct, cannot test for these things.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics