Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
This made me cry
Previous  1  2  3  Next

chestnut

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:00 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
I wonder what the solution realistically is. My daughters school took in some AT girls . But they certainly can’t take 120. I’m not sure there is space to absorb that number of girls in Lakewood .

Maybe if everyone had known further in advance , a school could’ve hired more teachers etc. my dds class has a few AT girls but the class is already way bigger than it should be. I don’t really want 3 more girls in her class tbh as much as I feel for these girls Z

Realistic solution - continue working on opening a new school ASAP (BY of Ocean County), as they seemingly are. Meanwhile close all schools until each takes 1 girl in each grade, until the new school opens

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:05 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Arrange for a field trip for all these precious girls to the local movie theatre.
Pose nicely outside, snap a picture, send it to the Rabannim. "Lakewood's bas yisroels have found something else to do all day"
Maybe that will do it

Actually their response would be more like "instead of arranging trips to movie theaters to try to manipulate us how about arranging a school yourself "?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:09 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Actually their response would be more like "instead of arranging trips to movie theaters to try to manipulate us how about arranging a school yourself "?

These responses are so nonsensical & hostile. Arranging a trip to a movie theater takes a few phone calls and some cars. Arranging a school, takes quite a bit more I believe.

Sewsew_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:10 pm
Just curious.. Which school is this?

amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
That is heartbreaking.

I would keep my daughter home if it was a community-wide effort, but it's a bit unfair to say that this is "on Lakewood."

Who is it on?

There is virtually nothing I can do, personally. We actually did help out a lot, in every way that we could, when someone we knew didn't get their daughter into school last year. Short of keeping my daughter home in protest (which would only work if *everyone* did it, and I would gladly participate), my hands are tied.

My DD's school absorbed a lot of AT girls. She has a few in her class, and now her classroom is stuffed to capacity. Having 30+ girls in a second-grade classroom is not a feasible option, I'm already worried about her class of almost 30. Her school opened an entire new class in one of the grades to accommodate AT girls, and it's a newer school, so they can't take any of the older girls.

What else can I do? If there is anything concrete I can do to help, I will.

giselle

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:12 pm
MnM1130 wrote:
Just curious.. Which school is this?

Also would like to know

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:24 pm
I'll get crucified so will go anom. I feel badly for these kids. One of my children was close to not having a school one year and it was a nightmare.

What bothers me is the blame on Lakewood as a whole. Many individual constantly say that Lakewood doesn't follow anyone it's each man for himself. That is until we need to blame someone then we're willing to unify everyone.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:28 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I'll get crucified so will go anom. I feel badly for these kids. One of my children was close to not having a school one year and it was a nightmare.

What bothers me is the blame on Lakewood as a whole. Many individual constantly say that Lakewood doesn't follow anyone it's each man for himself. That is until we need to blame someone then we're willing to unify everyone.

Oh please, everyone knows the Vaad and yeshiva are still in charge of the town's majprity, especially schools

little neshamala

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:30 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Seriously? How can you even compare the two?

It takes 2 seconds to text a friend "hey im bored, lets meet at the mall and watch a movie". Which is pretty much the point. Its that easy, and probable, for children who are not enrolled in school to turn to less desirable forms of entertainment, because they have nothing to do all day.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:40 pm
Is the VAAD a body that represent you when they aren't to blame?
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Oh please, everyone knows the Vaad and yeshiva are still in charge of the town's majprity, especially schools

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:42 pm
chestnut wrote:
Omg, seriously, it all comes down to roughly 1 girl per school per grade?? For goodness sake, put her at the teacher's desk for a few months!!!!!

I feel for the AT girls and would happily join in a united school boycott.

But I don't think this is the answer: If you put one AT girl into Bnos Melech (uber-yeshivish), one into Bnos Bina (chassidish), will those mothers be happy that their daughter has a school or complaining about the extremism that their daughters are taught?

(That's not an excuse either - because there are at least 4 or 5 schools that would be a decent fit if the schools and families are flexible and accepting, and some schools have parallel classes.)

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:05 pm
little neshamala wrote:
Seriously? How can you even compare the two?

It takes 2 seconds to text a friend "hey im bored, lets meet at the mall and watch a movie". Which is pretty much the point. Its that easy, and probable, for children who are not enrolled in school to turn to less desirable forms of entertainment, because they have nothing to do all day.

There would probably be no hope of a new school after this trip...

chestnut

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:09 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I feel for the AT girls and would happily join in a united school boycott.

But I don't think this is the answer: If you put one AT girl into Bnos Melech (uber-yeshivish), one into Bnos Bina (chassidish), will those mothers be happy that their daughter has a school or complaining about the extremism that their daughters are taught?

(That's not an excuse either - because there are at least 4 or 5 schools that would be a decent fit if the schools and families are flexible and accepting, and some schools have parallel classes.)

If the mothers don't want, then ok. You just might be surprised. I'd expect more pushback from those schools' parents.
But ok, so put 1 in each class of non chassidishe/non uber yeshivishe schools. At the teacher's desks if no room for 1 desk in the room

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 2:30 pm
Just saying that at least these girls weren't rejected from places. Perhaps they can meet up in the meanwhile with other girls in their position and create a support group. Start studying things together and making friends.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 3:05 pm
What would happen if all these girls had to enroll in public school, and it was announced it to the community?

There are truancy laws, and not being in school is just not an option. Eventually they are going to end up having to be enrolled somewhere.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 11:28 pm
Probably 95% (prob 100 in reality) were rejected from schools of their choice and that's why they ended up there...
Also.. Many are just a few years old in 1st 2nd grade age.. Doubt their running for play dates and studying.
LovesHashem wrote:
Just saying that at least these girls weren't rejected from places. Perhaps they can meet up in the meanwhile with other girls in their position and create a support group. Start studying things together and making friends.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 11:33 pm
Unfortunately Noone would care. Pple in Lakewood already think these girls are off the derech (think close minded box) so they would just say "oy nebach" and move on with their daily life. Again.. We're talking about 5 6 7 yr old girls... I'm sure they're all good girls. But also.. I personally wouldn't want my child in public school even if Noone accepted them..

FranticFrummie wrote:
What would happen if all these girls had to enroll in public school, and it was announced it to the community?

There are truancy laws, and not being in school is just not an option. Eventually they are going to end up having to be enrolled somewhere.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 11:34 pm
PLEASE FORWARD!!! This Wednesday and Thursday the Paintbrush will be offering free canvas painting to all children who do not yet have a school to attend. This initiative is being offered L’zecher nishmas R’ Gissinger, who loved and cared about each and every Lakewood child. The studio is located in Gourmet Glatt plaza, 1700 madison ave, on the strip across from Toys 4 U. The hours for Wednesday are 3-10pm and Thursday 11-6. Phone: 732.385.3400

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 11:52 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Is the VAAD a body that represent you when they aren't to blame?

The vaad isn't so powerful. We had a situation with one of my kids and we went to talk to one of the members. His response: well, I texted rabbi so and so but never heard back so I'll text him again. That was it. Needless to say we weren't helped by him.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 11:55 pm
People got together and hired someone to open a new school. They called a meeting of all the parents of the children without schools
The person hired explained to the parents that the new school opening will have the same rules and regulations as the other Lakewood schools. He explained politely and respectfully that in order for the school to be viable and attract more students, the school would have to maintain some standards.
Many parents there starting screaming and shaking their fists and him that they want their daughters to be able to wear and do XYZ without the school telling them what to do etc.
I heard this first hand from a mother that was there. She walked out in the middle mortified to be associated with these parents.
Two days later this guy quit.
Not all parents are to blame but many of these families do not want to conform and demand to be accepted.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Sep 14 2019, 11:59 pm
Idk details but my daughters school, nachlas added an AT tzipora girl to the class. In the younger grades the classes really are stuffed to the max. You have to realize that before AT closed the principals were getting pushed to overfill their primary classes and take in people moving from Brooklyn etc... at a certain point the principals cant hear it anymore. I think there comes a point that a lot of schools feel have done their part...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics