Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Oops life insurance lapsed!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:34 am
Yikes what do I do now? I thought I made a payment. Been on time the last bunch of years. Just made the payment online. It’s john Hancock if that matters. Termination date was 9/11/19. Now what? Don’t know what to do!!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yikes what do I do now? I thought I made a payment. Been on time the last bunch of years. Just made the payment online. It’s john Hancock if that matters. Termination date was 9/11/19. Now what? Don’t know what to do!!

Call your agent.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:40 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Call your agent.

I’ll call him Monday morning when he reopens. Will I be able to reinstate?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ll call him Monday morning when he reopens. Will I be able to reinstate?

It usually expires after a one-month grace period. It once happened to me. I called my life insurance agent; he scolded me, but he let me reinstate. Possibly that is because I had not only a term policy, but also a whole-life policy, which is much more lucrative to the agent. (And by the way, yes, I would have been much better off investing the money in stocks or bonds or a college fund than in a whole-life policy. Do not do what I did.)

If you are not allowed to reinstate, you can probably repurchase. It may be at higher rates due to your age, but it is not like you are out of options.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:10 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
It usually expires after a one-month grace period. It once happened to me. I called my life insurance agent; he scolded me, but he let me reinstate. Possibly that is because I had not only a term policy, but also a whole-life policy, which is much more lucrative to the agent. (And by the way, yes, I would have been much better off investing the money in stocks or bonds or a college fund than in a whole-life policy. Do not do what I did.)

If you are not allowed to reinstate, you can probably repurchase. It may be at higher rates due to your age, but it is not like you are out of options.

I'm with mass mutual, and there is an automatic grace period for 30 days. Hope you have the same.
Good Luck!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:29 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I'm with mass mutual, and there is an automatic grace period for 30 days. Hope you have the same.
Good Luck!

30 days from lapse?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
30 days from lapse?

No, thirty days from the time the premium is due. I am assuming your premium was due August 11 or 12?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:45 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
No, thirty days from the time the premium is due. I am assuming your premium was due August 11 or 12?

Yes Sad I’m so upset

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:47 am
We had that once. They made us fill out paperwork but at the end they reinstated us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics