Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Schnitzel from Ground Chicken

myname1

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 2:51 am
We once bought frozen schnitzels from the store, and they were made from ground chicken. Now I have frozen ground chicken breasts. Does anyone have a recipe for schnitzels I can make from it? Or any other ideas for Shabbos? Or for weekday for that matter- other than meatballs or meatloaf?

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 3:45 am
Never heard of this, but it sounds an interesting idea.

One would probably have to add an egg and some matza meal ( or flour or some other binding ingreedient) and form it into a flat burger/ schnitzel type shape. Then probably bake it lightly - enough that it would hold the shape. After that probably egg and breadcrumb it and fry it - lightly, since it has already been cooked once and you don't want to overcook it.

No idea how this would really work, but thinking it through as I was writing it sounds plausible. I might try it sometime.

myname1

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 4:31 am
Thanks so much for taking the time to think that up! (and write it down!) I'm thinking could I do a regular chicken burger recipe, and coat it in cornflake crumbs before frying? Anyone tried it before?

myname1

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 4:42 am
In case anyone else is interested- chicken nugget recipes seem to often be made this way.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....53497

I'll try to remember to update after Shabbos! Good Shabbos to everyone!

angelgirl

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 4:47 am
myname1 wrote:
In case anyone else is interested- chicken nugget recipes seem to often be made this way.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....53497

I'll try to remember to update after Shabbos! Good Shabbos to everyone!

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 5:38 am
Elfrida wrote:
Never heard of this, but it sounds an interesting idea.

One would probably have to add an egg and some matza meal ( or flour or some other binding ingreedient) and form it into a flat burger/ schnitzel type shape. Then probably bake it lightly - enough that it would hold the shape. After that probably egg and breadcrumb it and fry it - lightly, since it has already been cooked once and you don't want to overcook it.

No idea how this would really work, but thinking it through as I was writing it sounds plausible. I might try it sometime.

I wouldn't bake it before frying. Just shape, bread and fry. A meat thermometer is a good way to make sure your meat and chicken is cooked properly.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 6:14 am
Quote:
I wouldn't bake it before frying

How would you make sure it doesn't fall apart while moving it through the eggs and then the breadcrumbs and then into the frying pan? For a schnitzel shape we are talking about a fairly thin pAtty.

Tirza

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:56 am
I've done this before.
First fry to get it crunchy, then bake at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes to ensure that the inside gets cooked all the way through. You may want to make an extra piece so you can cut it open to check internal doneness.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:46 am
I always do it this way. I form the ground chicken into a ball and dip it into eggs and crumbs. Then I flatten it into a pattie & fry. No baking necessary. If you put enough bread crumbs in the mixture, it won't fall apart. Also, work with wet hands.

myname1

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:43 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I always do it this way. I form the ground chicken into a ball and dip it into eggs and crumbs. Then I flatten it into a pattie & fry. No baking necessary. If you put enough bread crumbs in the mixture, it won't fall apart. Also, work with wet hands.

You said there are bread crumbs in your mixture. What else is in there, before the eggs and crumbs?

I ended up using a chicken burger recipe, then just sticking it into cornflake crumbs before frying. The mixture had fried onions, egg, garlic powder, salt, and matzoh meal. Dd loved them, ds said they're tasteless, so I put spices in the crumbs but he was afraid of them by that point. But he claims to not like regular schnitzel anymore anyway, so whatever. I made some non-crumbed burgers and the rest of us agreed the crumbs make it better. They were not too crispy, but that's probably because the crumbs I used were very fine. Could be dipping it in another egg before crumbs would have helped. Thanks everyone for the help, was an interesting experiment.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey