Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
This made me cry
Previous  1  2  3

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:10 am
MnM1130 wrote:
Probably 95% (prob 100 in reality) were rejected from schools of their choice and that's why they ended up there...
Also.. Many are just a few years old in 1st 2nd grade age.. Doubt their running for play dates and studying.

I know, but I was in that position once. It was Pesach time and I had nobody. I had no friends. At least give them friends and something to do. Why should they all sit alone in their houses? If they're sitting outta school at least put them together and feel less nebachdik, bored in their houses alone.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:16 am
They now have a principal for the new school, Meira Zisowitz who had run The Zone for Oorah and was previously a teacher

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:18 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
People got together and hired someone to open a new school. They called a meeting of all the parents of the children without schools
The person hired explained to the parents that the new school opening will have the same rules and regulations as the other Lakewood schools. He explained politely and respectfully that in order for the school to be viable and attract more students, the school would have to maintain some standards.
Many parents there starting screaming and shaking their fists and him that they want their daughters to be able to wear and do XYZ without the school telling them what to do etc.
I heard this first hand from a mother that was there. She walked out in the middle mortified to be associated with these parents.
Two days later this guy quit.
Not all parents are to blame but many of these families do not want to conform and demand to be accepted.

It sounds like there are already enough schools with strict dress codes and there is a need for schools with less strict dress codes. Why start a school that doesn't meet the needs of the parents?
Is your position that only people who dress a certain way should be allowed to live in Lakewood?

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:28 am
little neshamala wrote:
Arrange for a field trip for all these precious girls to the local movie theatre.
Pose nicely outside, snap a picture, send it to the Rabannim. "Lakewood's bas yisroels have found something else to do all day"
Maybe that will do it

Yeah... that will get these girls banned from all schools. And maybe their brothers, too.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:39 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Is the VAAD a body that represent you when they aren't to blame?

Huh? Represent in what?
Btw, I don't live in Lakewood

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:42 am
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
PLEASE FORWARD!!! This Wednesday and Thursday the Paintbrush will be offering free canvas painting to all children who do not yet have a school to attend. This initiative is being offered L’zecher nishmas R’ Gissinger, who loved and cared about each and every Lakewood child. The studio is located in Gourmet Glatt plaza, 1700 madison ave, on the strip across from Toys 4 U. The hours for Wednesday are 3-10pm and Thursday 11-6. Phone: 732.385.3400

So special!

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:44 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
What would happen if all these girls had to enroll in public school, and it was announced it to the community?

There are truancy laws, and not being in school is just not an option. Eventually they are going to end up having to be enrolled somewhere.

People would say "see, and you wanted them to be in OUR school/with OUR girls?" In a big community with many schools no one feels an achrayos

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:48 am
People got together and hired someone to open a new school. They called a meeting of all the parents of the children without schools
The person hired explained to the parents that the new school opening will have the same rules and regulations as the other Lakewood schools. He explained politely and respectfully that in order for the school to be viable and attract more students, the school would have to maintain some standards.
Many parents there starting screaming and shaking their fists and him that they want their daughters to be able to wear and do XYZ without the school telling them what to do etc.
I heard this first hand from a mother that was there. She walked out in the middle mortified to be associated with these parents.
Not all parents are to blame but many of these families do not want to conform and demand to be accepted.

This is interesting. Which rules did the parents were against?
(Is "screaming and shaking their fists" a hyperbole?)

giselle

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:48 am
MnM1130 wrote:
Probably 95% (prob 100 in reality) were rejected from schools of their choice and that's why they ended up there...
Also.. Many are just a few years old in 1st 2nd grade age.. Doubt their running for play dates and studying.

What an obnoxious comment.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:19 am
If all the women would refuse to go to the Mikvah, do you wanna be how quickly the problem would be resolved?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:16 am

This is a total lie and this is the way rumors are spread! I was personally at this meeting and it was nothing like this. Nobody screamed or got angry about rules. Actually there was no screaming or shaking fists about anything

giselle

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:45 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
This is a total lie and this is the way rumors are spread! I was personally at this meeting and it was nothing like this. Nobody screamed or got angry about rules. Actually there was no screaming or shaking fists about anything

Thank you. I knew it wasn’t true, but since I wasn’t there I couldn’t really comment.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:59 am

The person who told you this about the meeting lied! I was there from before it started until after the ‘administrator’ left. When I heard what he was saying the next day, I spoke to a number of people who had been there to see if I had missed something. They all agreed. Everyone was respectful, people thanked him for his efforts and offered to help in any way they can.

Yes, people had questions, wouldn't you ask questions before you decided to send your daughter(s) to a new school? We had also been told certain things that ended up not being true. People were in shock! But no one attacked him and no one raised fists (or even voices).

I believe that he had been told that all of the parents would be on board with whatever he did because they were desperate and that just wasn’t the case.

Even the current new school believed parents were so desperate they wouldn’t care what the school was as long as it accepted their daughter(s). And I guess some were.

Our rav’s response when we were discussing our choices with him last week (BYOC or Melamed Academy-an online school) was, without a principal, it isn’t a school & until you know who the principal is you can’t agree to go. Now that they have a principal, we can make an informed decision and that’s what we’ll do.

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:11 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Oh please, everyone knows the Vaad and yeshiva are still in charge of the town's majprity, especially schools

That's not enough.

Cities are able to make sure each child has a place in public school because they collect taxes from most people in town, and so are able to pay for full-time salaried employees who do nothing but deal with school placements. They also can use tax money to keep schools open even when they aren't full to capacity, so that there's space available when it's needed.

And since they decide whether and when schools shut down, they can simply decide to keep a school open until a solution is found for the students.

Here, you have a situation where schools can shut down weeks before the school year starts without the Vaad or yeshiva having any say it the matter. Nobody is paying to support schools as a whole, only their own children's schools - meaning there's no money for "extra" seats in school, and therefore, nowhere that can easily absorb new students.

And the people who are supposed to jump in and solve this disaster have jobs already, and are supposed to deal with this as, what, an extra side project?

Sure, if you look at the small picture, I'm sure you could find moments in time where Vaad members were reading the morning paper or going to bed early or talking to their children, when they could have been dealing with this issue. So in that sense, they could be doing more. But thinking big-picture for a minute - if you want a quasi-governmental body that's going to take responsibility for children's education, there are obligations that come along with that. A body like that needs funding, it needs buy-in from everyone in town or close to it, and it needs a lot of power over the schools.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:55 am
You obviously don't live in Lakewood if you think what I said was obnoxious... I do and I know the system...this school originally opened because girls couldn't get into school so they made a split from a diff school.

giselle wrote:
What an obnoxious comment.

giselle

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:47 am
MnM1130 wrote:
You obviously don't live in Lakewood if you think what I said was obnoxious... I do and I know the system...this school originally opened because girls couldn't get into school so they made a split from a diff school.

Not only do I live in Lakewood, I guarantee you I know a lot more about the school than you do.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:27 am
giselle wrote:
Not only do I live in Lakewood, I guarantee you I know a lot more about the school than you do.

If you know so much more about the school systems.. Than why did ateres tzipora open in the first place? How can you deny that they accepted every girl for who they are and that's why their school was challenged. Lakewood can't handle acceptance of everyone and people drove the school to close. It's a sad reality.

giselle

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:50 am
MnM1130 wrote:
If you know so much more about the school systems.. Than why did ateres tzipora open in the first place? How can you deny that they accepted every girl for who they are and that's why their school was challenged. Lakewood can't handle acceptance of everyone and people drove the school to close. It's a sad reality.

They didn’t accept every girl for who they are. People had to fight their way into the school like every other school. Until the last couple of years. Why are you making things up?

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:01 am
giselle wrote:
They didn’t accept every girl for who they are. People had to fight their way into the school like every other school. Until the last couple of years. Why are you making things up?

Not sure where you hear your information from... But I can't argue much because I can't say more than I know.. Which is apparently less than u know.

chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
The person who told you this about the meeting lied! I was there from before it started until after the ‘administrator’ left. When I heard what he was saying the next day, I spoke to a number of people who had been there to see if I had missed something. They all agreed. Everyone was respectful, people thanked him for his efforts and offered to help in any way they can.

Yes, people had questions, wouldn't you ask questions before you decided to send your daughter(s) to a new school? We had also been told certain things that ended up not being true. People were in shock! But no one attacked him and no one raised fists (or even voices).

I believe that he had been told that all of the parents would be on board with whatever he did because they were desperate and that just wasn’t the case.

Even the current new school believed parents were so desperate they wouldn’t care what the school was as long as it accepted their daughter(s). And I guess some were.

Our rav’s response when we were discussing our choices with him last week (BYOC or Melamed Academy-an online school) was, without a principal, it isn’t a school & until you know who the principal is you can’t agree to go. Now that they have a principal, we can make an informed decision and that’s what we’ll do.

So, this "administrator" started the rumors about the parents screaming. How nice. Not.

Looks like there is a new principal now. May it be successful!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics