Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Easy Foolproof Recipe for Frozen Duck

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:37 pm
Does anyone have an easy foolproof recipe for a frozen duck? (Complete with instructions on how to defrost it, cook it, and reheat it.)

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:59 pm
You defrost it the same way you would defrost a frozen chicken. Either slowly in the refrigerator or more quickly on the counter but you need to watch it so that you don't let it stand out when it is thawed.

The simplest way to cook duck is to smear it full of as much garlic as possible. Put a cut lemon and an onion and some garlic bulbs in the center. You want to get a crispy skin and get rid of all that fat that is underneath the skin so you need to prick the skin all over so the fat drains off. That is how my Bubbe cooked duck and I once cooked a goose that way.

I do have a really awesome recipe for duck that is a bit more complicated but super delicious. It is not hard but involves two steps. You prick the duck's skin and then steam it on the stove for about 45 minutes. You then put it in the oven to crisp the duck and get the nice roasted texture. This gives you crispy skin and moist meat. It has Asian spices so it is absolute delish if you like Chinese food. I can post that recipe if you are interested. It's easy but just the two steps and marinating the duck for a few hours to get really delicious meat.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:02 pm
Amarante wrote:
You defrost it the same way you would defrost a frozen chicken. Either slowly in the refrigerator or more quickly on the counter but you need to watch it so that you don't let it stand out when it is thawed.

The simplest way to cook duck is to smear it full of as much garlic as possible. Put a cut lemon and an onion and some garlic bulbs in the center. You want to get a crispy skin and get rid of all that fat that is underneath the skin so you need to prick the skin all over so the fat drains off. That is how my Bubbe cooked duck and I once cooked a goose that way.

I do have a really awesome recipe for duck that is a bit more complicated but super delicious. It is not hard but involves two steps. You prick the duck's skin and then steam it on the stove for about 45 minutes. You then put it in the oven to crisp the duck and get the nice roasted texture. This gives you crispy skin and moist meat. It has Asian spices so it is absolute delish if you like Chinese food. I can post that recipe if you are interested. It's easy but just the two steps and marinating the duck for a few hours to get really delicious meat.

I actually came across that recipe in searching this site. Asian flavors are not to my liking at this time, but the lemon onion garlic combo sounds great

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 10:05 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I actually came across that recipe in searching this site. Asian flavors are not to my liking at this time, but the lemon onion garlic combo sounds great

Orange is the classic duck combo so you could do a simple marinade to rub on the skin of orange juice and garlic.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 1:18 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....77999

studying_torah

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:30 am
Just fyi the one time I cooked duck I cooked it uncovered & my oven got so grease splattered it started smoking. (I think the recipe said cook uncovered to crisp the skin )

It also had a very gamy flavor- especially the legs so not all the kids liked it.

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 7:38 am
ra_mom wrote:
https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=177999

Thank you! Have you made it?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 9:38 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Thank you! Have you made it?

Yes. It was very good.

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Sep 13 2019, 9:46 am
I haven't seen duck lately. I used to see it frozen for about $6/7 a pound in Shoprite, which I thought was expensive, but a special treat. Now I see it only as fresh, "on sale" for $34.99/lb for leg/thighs and I think it was $54.99/lb for boneless breast.
Is it an endangered species? Has the world gone mad? Is it just me?

At this rate, my husband will not be having duck Shabbos Chanukah.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:02 am
ra_mom wrote:
Yes. It was very good.

It needs to be made fresh, I imagine?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:58 am
allthingsblue wrote:
It needs to be made fresh, I imagine?

Yes we ate it that same night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey