Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone run a business baking from home that can give advice?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:27 am
I have an opportunity to sell baked goods to a small group that requested, and I really want to give it a try, and make it profitable enough to be worth my effort....How much do you charge per dozen cookies please?

Also, where do you buy bakery style boxes inexpensively? I'm in Lakewood, don't want to buy packaging from Michael's because they're too expensive....

Tia to anyone that offers advice!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 1:36 am
I wish I could help you, but if you don't get responses here I strongly suggest checking the CakeCentral.com forums, where you'll probably get tons of advice from a community of people doing exactly that.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:04 am
I don't know anything about pricing for cookies but I do know that it is illegal to sell things baked at home in NJ.
All 49 other states have some sort of cottage food law allowing people to get a license to legally sell home baked goods if they meet the requirements.

Now, I know that people do it anyways. But please go into it knowing that if you're caught you can be fined significantly.

http://www.njhomebakers.org/

NOTE: I sell home baked products legally in NY state but I keep aware of the situation in NJ because I am involved in mentoring through the JWE

singleagain

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:12 am
Look on Amazon for cookie boxes a quick search and I found this

[50Pack] Bakery Boxes with Window 4x4x2.5" - by Cuisiner (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071.....Z2Y5X

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:43 am
I just started a business like that. I got my containers from webstaurant.com. wishing you much hatzlacha!!!

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:03 pm
What kind of cookies.

First you need to figure out the cost of the ingredients and the time it takes you to do everything - from purchasing through delivery of the end product. This determines what the "cost" of each cookie is for you.

Aside from just costs, there is typically a premium placed on fancy custom cookies - e.g. those which are decorated or in some other manner special.

How much do comparable cookies sell for in your location. This can really vary especially if one is selling artisanal cookies with premium ingredients.

HelloG

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:37 pm
When I asked round about this experienced people told me you charge 3 times the cost of ingredients and you can PM me about cheap boxing . it's a private person don't wanna post his number
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics