Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do I stop kids from saying “candy” every day

thegiver

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:58 am
This candy obsession is annoying me sooooooooooo much. No I will never buy the garbage. If they get it from elsewhere whatever. It is a losing battle.

Where is balance and how do I help my kids attain it? Healthy limits anyone?

thegiver

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:58 am
What are your healthy limits?

Rappel

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:09 am
Well, they're not going to dive on the broccoli overnight.

How about having a bowl of dates/nectarines/melon/berries/grapes on the table for their perusal? Not pushing it, just leaving it in sight. Then you can vary it up with sliced oranges and apples... Then pears... Until you've worked then way up to appreciating carrots, celery, cheese and other less-sweet things.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:23 am
By not giving it they will eventually stop

enjoying kids

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:48 am
Ignore it
"Candy candy candy candy"
...just background noise

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:53 am
Ruchel wrote:
By not giving it they will eventually stop

Actually, I have found that by giving they eventually loose a interest.

Before I gave I would always say that they have to eat something healthy first. Often they are just hungry.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:56 am
I've witnessed kids who are absolutely never allowed any candy by their parents resort to stealing from other kids' lunches and lockers. Be careful. I've heard the same from other people. So be careful and balanced with your approach.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:05 am
You can make your own freeze pops out of healthy ingredients.

Some of my grandchildren are allowed to have serious junk on Shabbos but not during the week unless there is a special occasion.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:41 am
We allow candy on shabbos, and my dh doles it out. If they receive candy during the week from others, they put it in their candy bag for shabbos.

sky

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:41 am
Candy is for Shabbos only. And we have a nice amount on Shabbos.
Whatever they get during the week is theirs. I don’t feel right telling them they have to save it.

It sounds like you don’t have candy in the house so it should be even easier to just not give.

Bruria

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 12:48 pm
Yes, candy is for Shabbat, so during the week there are no expectations.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:05 pm
I am not a nutritionist mom Smile all for candy with reason. But if you mind the word they just do not give in or they'll always try

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:18 pm
I always had the only candy on Shabbos rule, until I noticed that my DD started getting itchy "down there" every motzei Shabbos Confused
I also used to think that kids who never get candy will crave it and vice versa, until I had my third child.
I know a child who gets lots of candy at home, yet always begs me for treats when she comes.
My two oldest kids don't care much for junk, and I never gave them a lot at all
Along comes my third child, who gets way more than they did, and begs for sugar in any shape or form, all the time, so I sort of came to the conclusion that there is no conclusion What
Kids don't follow any predictable patterns.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:32 pm
Candy for shabbos. During the week organic lolly pops as needed. Or freezer pops without food coloring.

unexpected

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:59 pm
My kids don't ask for nosh every day, but when they ask, usually I will give. (I do give gum for going on the bus in the morning, but I don't consider that nosh and they don't ask for it- it's like vitamins in my house) However, their friends who live on the block come into the house and give my girls pointers for "sneaking" the nosh or begging for nosh. It's gotten to the point that when the neighbors come to the door, my oldest dd will tell them we are not giving out gum and we are not giving out ices... do you still want to play?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:36 pm
you can tell them that from now on its called "sucaria" Wink

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 1:11 pm
I've never made candy forbidden and due to living out of town and the school being nut-free there aren't many economical options for snacks for my kids, and the school has fleishigs one day a week, so we do give fruit-by-the-foot for lunch--and it often doesn't get eaten during the school day. We give lollipops for doctor's office visits and other candy is for shabbos party, but at the same time, my kids are very happy with pretzels, chips, homemade popcorn. They also eat apples, grapes, celery, carrots, peppers etc. We provide healthy options and they eat healthy options. We've cut down on making too much for dessert on Shabbos b/c they dont' eat most things we make--I think brownies and maybe chocolate cake but depends on the week. I have a kid who says he doesn't like ice cream.

A lollipop is 60 calories, the kid runs around for a 1/2 hour, its gone from their system. The tantrum would last longer. I just don't think its worth the fight.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 1:16 pm
I dont make a deal about candy and neither do my kids.

We talk about never foods, sometimes foods and always foods and they know from an early age that candy is a sometimes food. Sometimes we can have it and sometimes we cant. I follow an 80/20 rule that 80% of what they eat in a day has to be nutritious and 20% I look the other way.

I had promised my oldest a slurpee so we went on motzei shabbos just me and him and he felt like a million bucks. I didnt feel guilty at all. Its all about moderation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics