Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
70y old couple in ICU after IVF twins
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:12 am
As for why - it sounds like there's a lot of social stigma around infertility in some circles in India. Meaning, like, even more than elsewhere. This woman told reporters "now nobody can call me barren anymore."

Other older (60s-70s) women in India who've given birth have said similar things.

They don't seem to think they'll live long enough to raise the child to adulthood. But at least they'll die as parents, without the stigma. Meanwhile, the child will (they believe) have a happy life, being raised by family.

(btw somewhat ironically, adoption would have been a non-option for them, at least for the past 30 years or so - they've been too old to adopt under Indian law. But IVF is still fairly unregulated. A lot of doctors wouldn't have agreed to do the procedure for this couple, but they only needed the one.)

momsrus

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:22 am
ora_43 wrote:
As for why - it sounds like there's a lot of social stigma around infertility in some circles in India. Meaning, like, even more than elsewhere. This woman told reporters "now nobody can call me barren anymore."

Other older (60s-70s) women in India who've given birth have said similar things.

They don't seem to think they'll live long enough to raise the child to adulthood. But at least they'll die as parents, without the stigma. Meanwhile, the child will (they believe) have a happy life, being raised by family.

(btw somewhat ironically, adoption would have been a non-option for them, at least for the past 30 years or so - they've been too old to adopt under Indian law. But IVF is still fairly unregulated. A lot of doctors wouldn't have agreed to do the procedure for this couple, but they only needed the one.)

I read the doctor was told the woman was in her 60. The husband accidentally slipped her real age after she had conceived and the doctor was livid.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:14 pm
In the US, you cannot adopt an infant after you turn 40, even if you are in spectacular health and have a lot of money. At least one adoptive parent has to be under 40 and healthy. B'H I adopted my DD at age 38, but that also meant that she wasn't going to have any siblings unless I adopted an older child.

My first thought about the article was "I wonder if they're secretly mad that they didn't get a boy. Not only one girl, but two! That's going to be a lot of dowry."

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 2:29 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
In the US, you cannot adopt an infant after you turn 40, even if you are in spectacular health and have a lot of money. At least one adoptive parent has to be under 40 and healthy. B'H I adopted my DD at age 38, but that also meant that she wasn't going to have any siblings unless I adopted an older child.

My first thought about the article was "I wonder if they're secretly mad that they didn't get a boy. Not only one girl, but two! That's going to be a lot of dowry."

My first thought was, how very sad, I hope the new father recovers and can have some joy from his children.

top mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:46 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Let's hope the parents actually get to the dowry point intact, in body and mind!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:48 pm
right so this could not happen in just any country B"H

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:02 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
right so this could not happen in just any country B"H

I guess that means that the nursing home residents are safe. Phew!

mirror

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:36 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I guess that means that the nursing home residents are safe. Phew!

Unless they lie about their age. Wink

southernbubby

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:46 pm
mirror wrote:
Unless they lie about their age. Wink

That could be a problem.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics