Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
How to spice my mushroom soup.
1  2  Next

applesbananas

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:46 pm
I made up my own recipe bec I couldn't find anything low fat/low cal online that didnt have some non kosher ingredients. I have a yummy looking blended soup now but it tastes soooo bland. Any ideas what I can spice it with ?

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:48 pm
The trick with mushroom soup is to buy fresh mushrooms, fry them well in a bit of salt and THEN blend it. Add heavy cream if milchig. The flavor comes out when you fry them

applesbananas

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:51 pm
Jewishfoodie wrote:
The trick with mushroom soup is to buy fresh mushrooms, fry them well in a bit of salt and THEN blend it. Add heavy cream if milchig. The flavor comes out when you fry them

I did... hmmm.. this was my homemade version. Sauteed an onion. Used 3 types of mushrooms and added it to onions .. tossed tog for 15 mins or so till there was dark juices at the bottom of the pot. Used immersion blended to blend corn starch into almond milk, added to pot with water salt and pepper. Boil. Blend

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:55 pm
So, fry them until the mushrooms are golden brown. That's when the flavor changes..

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:55 pm
you should add salt & pepper now again after finished cooking

lavenderchimes

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 3:57 pm
I like to add green herbs with mushrooms. Particularly dill. Maybe fennel, thyme, marjoram, basil, oregano -- whatever smells good to you!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:03 pm
Add crushed fresh garlic and lots of salt to taste.

Next time, start the soup with lots of diced sweet onions and fresh crushed garlic, sauteed for 5-7 minutes until fragrant and translucent. Then continue with the rest of it. Include a bay leaf of two. And always finish off the soup with enough salt, taste as you go.

applesbananas

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:30 pm
Ty everyone for the good ideas. Added lots of salt, basil and crushed garlic. Its really yummy now!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:32 pm
Onions and mushrooms for sure. And of course salt and pepper. You can also add broth powder, like beef broth, or Trader Joe's umami spice.

etky

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:33 pm
I like to add a bit of Old Bay seasoning to mushroom soup and mushroom barley soup.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:37 pm
The teeniest bit of nutmeg really finishes off the dish. Try it next time.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:40 pm
applesbananas wrote:
I made up my own recipe bec I couldn't find anything low fat/low cal online that didnt have some non kosher ingredients. I have a yummy looking blended soup now but it tastes soooo bland. Any ideas what I can spice it with ?

Mushroom soup mix! It’s delish!

Cheiny

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:41 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Onions and mushrooms for sure. And of course salt and pepper. You can also add broth powder, like beef broth, or Trader Joe's umami spice.

Have you tried that umami spice? I want to get it...is it good?

pizzapie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:45 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Yes! I was going to say add umami spice but I see that pink fridge beat me to it. It's basically dehydrated mushrooms with added flavor, kind of similar to mushroom soup mix but without all the unnatural flavorings.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 4:46 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Yeah. I like it. It seems very mild though.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:01 pm
You could get a good umami flavor by using white miso paste instead of soup mix. It's much healthier too.

You can find it in the Asian food section of your market, or in any health food store.

Grateful2bhere

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 7:15 pm
I like TJ umami spice.

I make up soup recipes often, & when bland, I find these to be helpful possible additions to experiment with adding, a little carefully & to taste:
V8, soy sauce, lemon juice, sometimes (depending on size ofsoup) a t or T of sugar can really help.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 10:24 pm
Cheiny wrote:

From Trader Joes? Get it. It's epic

MiriFr

Post Thu, Oct 10 2019, 11:06 pm
The best mushroom soup in the whole entire world is the one in The Silver Platter.
You sautee onion+fresh mushrooms, add salt pepper and thyme, and then you cover with water and boil. Blend when done.

ladYdI

Post Fri, Oct 11 2019, 12:41 am
Soy sauce and a little chili powder and a bay leaf
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics