Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Difficult three year old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:33 pm
Personality is independent , mind of her own and stubborn. The combo leads to tantrums, bossiness and frustration. I started cracking down on her behaviors but a bit insecure. Both me and my husband basically let het get her way. If she wants a certain song over and over again I let her.if she wants to buckle herself and put on the music and close the door I let her. If she wants to get something herself or choose the candies herself etc...my question is how do you know you've effectively let your toddler overtake the family? Maybe they are normal things and I am just impatient. I recently started putting het in time out for hitting and trying to get her to ask for things nicely instead of getting hysterical. Am I ask ing for too much from a 3 year old.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:51 pm
It sounds very normal for a three year old. I have a three year old son who is the exact same way. He is so bossy and unpleasant and throws temper tantrums all day long. I find it helps if I give him choices or make a joke out of things. Like today when I put on his pjs, he screamed at me “I want different pajamas!” I didn’t have any since all were in laundry. I said “you’re making the buggy on your pj feel bad that you don’t want to wear the pjs. He’s sad.” Right away he said “I will make the buggy happy” and agreed to put on the pjs. It’s a challenging age since they’re between toddlers but want so badly to catch up to older siblings. I remember my 6 year old son being such a hard 3 year old but by the time he was four, his behavior had improved so much. Keep in mind it is temporary.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 8:55 pm
There are no difficult kids - only kids going thru a difficult time. My kid sounds like yours by personality but not by action. Read Janet Lansbury she is a life changer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics