Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Keeping my baby occupied during carpools

Moonlight

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:26 pm
My new reality is that I am driving an hour-long carpool everyday. Which I can manage. However I am taking my 14 month old along for the ride everyday. He get super bored after the first 20 minutes and cries.
Please share ideas to keep him happy!
I already:
-bring snack bags
- put on music (he is too little to listen to a story)
-have a few car toys but once he's upset he just throws them away
-I try to talk to him while I drive.
I cant
-leave him somewhere else during the drive
-plan the nap around the drive (its early am)
-avoid driving

Tia!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:40 pm
Sorry. This sucks. We went on a road trip with then 16m old and it was horrible, just a few weeks later he suddenly got into music and has kept quiet ever since (a year later by now). I think it's just that age. Books, toys, snacks, try music, there's not too many options if you can't pull over to let him run around.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:57 pm
I did this for years! When said child was a bit older, we even had a strategic bathroom stop just after drop off.

On the way there, when the carpool kids are in the car: if possible, seat a kid next to him who really likes him. One year, I had a boy who liked to make faces at dd and gently shake toys at her. He was a holy terror much of the time in life, and this actually calmed him, so you never know who it might be. And this buys you time for the ride home.

If possible, find a place to stop and let him run around for a few minutes after drop off. (Don't do this if it will agitate him more to be re-buckled after being unbuckled.) If you don't have to be anywhere right away, do a quick run to a store or the like and interact for fifteen minutes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics