Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Renters Upstairs Driving Us Crazy

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:17 am
Okay, this is really my parents' issue. They bought an apartment in Israel that they really love- good location, nice size, really made it nice for themselves. The thing is they got new neighbors upstairs in a rental apartment that are driving them crazy with what they throw down. The kids seem more difficult than typical. They throw tons of things every single day. Important things like shoes and clothes and messy things like food and drinks. That is actually the bigger issue for them because of the animals and bugs it attracts and the difficulty to clean it up. They were returning everything, but now they stopped and started throwing it away. It just got too much for them. So now they yell at each other any time they see each other, with a serious language barrier to keep things extra interesting. They feel like they really can't live with these people anymore. They want to move, but that's just so frustrating and difficult. You think there's any way to get them to leave? Anything else to do at this point? The amount of things is really beyond the realm of normal, but I am not sure if that constitutes as a reason to get them evicted. Does the concept of eviction even exist in Israel?

grace413

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:33 am
Have your parents lived in an apartment before? It's an adjustment after living in a single family house although it does sound like this is more than normal living noises.

Do they know who owns the apartment? It seems to me that it would be best to contact the owner and imply that the renters are lowering their property value.

There is no way for a third party (your parents) to get them evicted but fairly easy for the apartment owner to get rid of the tenants.

I would suggest taking photos of whatever is being thrown down.

No point in moving, you never know what kind of neighbors you'll get in the next place.

Are their other apartment owners in the building who are being affected?

Sorry your parents are having this difficulty.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:36 am
What do you mean 'throwing down'? They are throwing things literally into your parents apartment?

Rappel

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:50 am
grace413 wrote:
Have your parents lived in an apartment before? It's an adjustment after living in a single family house although it does sound like this is more than normal living noises.

Do they know who owns the apartment? It seems to me that it would be best to contact the owner and imply that the renters are lowering their property value.

There is no way for a third party (your parents) to get them evicted but fairly easy for the apartment owner to get rid of the tenants.

I would suggest taking photos of whatever is being thrown down.

No point in moving, you never know what kind of neighbors you'll get in the next place.

Are their other apartment owners in the building who are being affected?

Sorry your parents are having this difficulty.

Grace said it far better than I could. They should have a native Israeli make that phone call, though - someone who knows how to emphasize the issues so the owner will sit up and pay attention.

As for the current situation - I'm assuming the upstairs neighbors have an extremely hyperactive child, and that it's not the adults chucking things out the window. I'm also assuming your parents have a garden apartment/large mirpesset, and that things are getting thrown into there. If the problem region is that small, then maybe they can get someone handy to install a plexiglass/clear plastic roof, so anything thrown will just land on that. Then the neighbors will be able to retrieve their own things, or deal with the flies in the case of food, and your aging parents can have peace.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:09 am
Rappel wrote:
Grace said it far better than I could. They should have a native Israeli make that phone call, though - someone who knows how to emphasize the issues so the owner will sit up and pay attention.

As for the current situation - I'm assuming the upstairs neighbors have an extremely hyperactive child, and that it's not the adults chucking things out the window. I'm also assuming your parents have a garden apartment/large mirpesset, and that things are getting thrown into there. If the problem region is that small, then maybe they can get someone handy to install a plexiglass/clear plastic roof, so anything thrown will just land on that. Then the neighbors will be able to retrieve their own things, or deal with the flies in the case of food, and your aging parents can have peace.

Terrific advice

essie14

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:09 am
We moved into an apartment and the neighbors were leaving their trash bags in the hall between their door and ours and only taking the trash outside in the morning. Needless to say the smell was terrible. Not to mention possible mice. I took pictures and sent to the vaad bayit and he took care of it.

Shuly

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:50 am
We had an upstairs neighbor whose kids were constantly throwing things onto our porch. DH spoke to the father and he put up chicken wire in his window so his kids couldn't throw anything down anymore.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:56 am
We used to have a neighbor do this , the worst was when chocolate pudding was thrown down onto my clean laundry. We put up a mini awning over our marpeset, and then once all their toys were getting stuck there the kids dropped throwing .☺

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 12:02 pm
I have a garden apartment and a large mirpesset. My upstairs neighbors kids throw things down on my mirpesset all the time, and my next door neighbors kids throw things into my back yard all the time.

At first, I was nice. I returned the items and spoke nicely to the parents. It didn't change a thing. Now, when stuff gets thrown down, it gets thrown away. Zehu.

The kids used to come begging to get their stuff back, but after being told a couple of times "I threw it away", they don't come knocking anymore.

Stuff still gets thrown on a regular basis, but at least I don't have to deal with kids knocking on my door all day to get their toys back.

I am not a mean person, but seriously, enough is enough. If you really loved that toy, you wouldn't have tossed it over the fence or off your balcony in the first place.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions