Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ali express - sales tax

questioner

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 2:21 pm
Aliexpress has been charging me sales tax on clothing purchases even though I live in a state that does not charge sales tax on clothing. Is there any way to contact them to get this straightened out?

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 3:40 pm
There is a recent Supreme Court ruling that requires ALL internet sales to charge sales tax. The old rule was that sales tax was applied only if the seller had a physical presence in the State.

In my experience, when I have ordered from China, I have not been charged sales tax. Theoretically an import tariff can be charged and I was charged a tariff a few times but that is a separate issue.

questioner

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 3:51 pm
I am aware that they have to charge sales tax, but my state does not charge sales tax on clothing, so no sales tax is required on my purchase.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 3:53 pm
They probably are unaware of the nuances of each state's specific taxation as most States do charge tax on clothing.

You could contact the seller with a copy of the relevant provisions of your state tax law and ask for a refund. Don't you have the contact information from the website?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics