Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Weekly shopping, how many stores?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:02 am
About how many stores do you go to for weekly shopping? And why?

I go to about 3. One to a kosher supermarket, one a fruit and vegetable store, and to a generic store for things that I didn't get in the kosher store and some toiletries. I do not go and never did go from store to store for sales except for sodas when I bought them. My time cost money too and to go from store to store is a shlep.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:25 am
It depends on how disorganized I am that week and how many things that I forget to buy and run out of.

simba

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:28 am
I buy everything at my local Kosher supermarket. They have fresh fish, a butcher, bakery and a full fruit and veggie selection. Whatever I can get there comes from Amazon.

miami85

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:36 am
Well OOT there's often a need to go to 4-5-6 stores as there's a kosher one for chicken, meat, cheese , specific kosher foods. Then there's a grocery store that has better prices on produce on certain staples. Then there's Costco which is the only source for certain goods at a decent price where I live. Then there's Wal Mart/Target for other essentials such as certain breads or a specific brand of yogurt that only Target seems to carry etc. Varies from week to week. In NY we shopped at mostly 1-2 stores and did Amazon for most everything else.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:37 am
One. The amount of time it would take to do more is not worth the amount of money I might save by comparison shopping. I go to a frum supermarket to stock up on meat and chicken about once every couple of months and freeze (if I had a larger family it would need to be more often... on the other hand I'd also need a larger freezer anyway, so.) And plastic/foil ware, somehow the non-Jewish stores never catch on to cheap disposables. Household goods like toilet paper and laundry detergent if they go on sale on Amazon then I stock up, if not then I stock up at Shoprite once every couple of months. Then for weekly shopping I just go to my nearest grocery for produce, milk, and the like.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:40 am
Either the makolet across the street (yup, when life is a bit stressful, its right across the street, so its where we go) or to the supermarket about a 5 minute drive. I do one stop shopping, I dont go to different places.
Never did.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:48 am
I go to one weekly, and I have a few others I rotate every 4-6 weeks or so to stock up on certain items.

oakandfig19

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:48 am
I’d say about half the time I go only to the supermarket, and the other half of the time I go to both the supermarket and the kosher store in one week. I try to stock up at the kosher store. And every few months I stock up at Costco.

mha3484

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:02 am
I have two large supermarkets in my area. I go to one for my kosher staples and the other one for a list of certain items that are better priced. They have a great service where you can get meat or fish grilled to order. Its a great sunday dinner so I am there anyway I get the few things I like.

I go every two to three weeks to trader joes and get a lot of my pantry staples.

lcraighten

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:32 am
Ugh, can vary. A store for kosher stuff, a produce store, and sometimes CVS just for Milk...

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 2:21 pm
Usually it's once a week to a one stop kosher supermarket that carries everything. Fish, meat/deli, produce, bakery, groceries.
If we run out of bread, eggs, milk during week, there's always a small corner grocery at my corner for back up. My husband goes once a month to BJ's to stock up on paper supplies/ detergents.
Now with Yom tov coming up....I find myself constantly in corner grocery or one of two kosher supermarkets next to me....for missing ingredients when I want to do some cooking to stock my freezer

Teomima

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 4:24 pm
A lot. I pass by a local small grocery store almost daily when I drop off/pick up my kids, and I stop there maybe every other day or so for produce. Then I do several smaller supermarket loads a week, different items at different shops, depending on what they carry vs I need vs what's on sale vs how lazy I am feeling.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 4:47 pm
1 main supermarket email order Wednesday
1 smaller specialty supermarket online order on Friday
Pharmacy and detergent items ordered online from Walmart, with fill ins from Amazon.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 5:49 pm
I go shopping at one of the local kosher groceries twice a week- Sunday for the week and Thurs/Fridays for shabbos. I ordered a lot of my staples (flour,sugar , tomato sauce, pasta etc online from Target or bulk shop every few months for them)

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 5:49 pm
yo'ma wrote:
About how many stores do you go to for weekly shopping? And why?

I go to about 3. One to a kosher supermarket, one a fruit and vegetable store, and to a generic store for things that I didn't get in the kosher store and some toiletries. I do not go and never did go from store to store for sales except for sodas when I bought them. My time cost money too and to go from store to store is a shlep.

I go to three stores. I shop the app for a store in Brooklyn, I shop at a local grocery store, and then I go to another local grocery store for fruits and vegetables.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics