Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH WITH SPICY HONEY

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 14 2019, 12:15 am
I have been reading reviews of the trendy Korean fried chicken joints sprouting around Los Angeles so was happy to try this recipe.

Not more difficult than regular schnitzel but very good and I think would appeal to even less adventurous eaters.

You don't need a potato bun you do want a soft relatively bland bun - or no bun.

Notes are the cookbook author.

KOREAN FRIED CHICKEN SANDWICH WITH SPICY HONEY AND MISO AÏOLI

Excerpt From: Daphne Oz. - The Happy Cook

All over New York, Korean fried chicken chains have been cropping up. And the addictive spicy-sweet glaze and TV-commercial-ready crunch typically found on their wings makes the only question: Why did it take so long?

The miso aïoli and spicy honey glaze are my favorite backup dancers for the star act, chicken. Sometimes I’ll skip the buns entirely and just use a crisp lettuce shell—the better to taste it all, my dear!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

FRIED CHICKEN THIGHS

1 cup cornstarch (cake flour or Wondra flour also work great to provide a thin, crunchy, even coating, but cornstarch is the crunchiest)
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut crosswise into 3 strips
Peanut oil, for frying
4 potato buns
8 iceberg lettuce leaves

SPICY HONEY GLAZE

3 tablespoons honey
1½ tablespoons Sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon kosher salt

MISO AÏOLI

¼ cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white or yellow miso
1 garlic clove, grated on a Microplane-style rasp
¼ teaspoon kosher salt

To make the chicken, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch, baking powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper to taste. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat them in the cornstarch mixture.

Pour 1½ inches of oil into a heavy-bottomed, straight-sided skillet and heat the oil until an instant-read thermometer reaches 375°F. Set a wire rack over a paper bag or paper towels (to absorb the oil) and have at the ready.

While the oil heats, make the spicy honey glaze. In a large bowl (big enough to hold the chicken), whisk together the honey, Sriracha, rice vinegar, soy sauce, chives, cayenne, and salt. Set the glaze aside.

To make the miso aïoli, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, miso, garlic, and salt. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

Add a few pieces of chicken to the oil, dropping it in away from you, so the oil doesn’t splatter toward you. (Don’t overcrowd the skillet or the temperature of the oil will drop and the chicken will be greasy.) Fry the chicken, turning the pieces midway through cooking, until they are browned and crisp on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Use a slotted spoon or frying spider to transfer the chicken to the wire rack. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
While the chicken is hot, add it to the bowl with the glaze and toss to coat.

Divide the aïoli among the 4 buns and add 1 lettuce leaf to each bottom bun half. Top with a few pieces of fried chicken and a second lettuce leaf, then the top bun half, and serve. Any leftover chicken is great chopped up over a salad the next day, though I’ve never had this happen.

BREADING BREAKDOWN

Whenever you’re “breading” something, the traditional rule of thumb is that you want to follow the three steps of FEB: Flour. Eggs. Breadcrumbs. In this case, we are taking it down to just one step for a light and supercrispy coating of just seasoned cornstarch and baking powder. If you want a thicker, more traditional fried chicken, you can dip the cornstarch-coated chicken into whisked eggs, and then into a third bath of breadcrumbs (panko works great) or more of the cornstarch mixture.

devo1982

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:13 pm
Amarante, once again, you come through with the chicken recipes. This was VERY satisfying (I omitted the miso because I'm allergic, and just used Veganaise since I can't do regular mayo). Thank you for sharing (can't wait to try your Unbelievable Chicken, which is cooked and waiting for tomorrow night).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey