Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Most absurd medical bill you have ever received?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Frenchfry

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 3:11 pm
I've never seen a medical bill in my life, but my friend had a planned home birth. She was told by her insurance that they're insisting that she pay the"facility fee".

She kept explaining that the birth didn't take place in a facility, and the moron on the other end just kept insisting that this is a fee they never waive. So she told them that she's sending them a bill for use of her facility!

That did it!

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 4:49 pm
How do you fight medical bills/ insurance bills? We pay so much for insurance but still it rarely covers anything. We're always left with owing so much for everything. It's so hard

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 6:04 pm
pmom wrote:
I had a baby 3 months ago. I arrived to the hospital to be induced at 11:59pm on 6/4 but was only admitted at 3:30am on 6/5
on my bill breakdown there was a $8900 charge for a shared room in the maternity ward for 6/4!
I'm trying to fight it and they are saying that as soon as you arrive to the hospital they reserve a room on the postpartum maternitiy wing. so they are charging me $8900 for 1 minute.
the biggest joke is that after I had my baby I waited about 6 hours in the labor room because they did not have an available room on the maternity floor yet.
let's see how this pans out...
PS I do have insurance but only covers partial. I am responsible for 3499 from this bill and don't want to pay.

I am so sorry to hear this. Sad
This happened to a family friend of my parents almost the decades ago, and because of that, my father took my night to the hospital to deliver, but waited until 12:01 to sign in/ tell them she was there.
(He also had her not take three Tylenol, etc. with one of the babies, when my parents didn't have good insurance, because they don't stam nickel and dime, they charge lots for each pill!)I

Recently my mother was reviewing some medical bill, and saw she was charged for the GLOVES!!!

Pandabeer

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 6:26 pm
Dh was transported to hospital by Hatzolo. We got a bill for paramedic treatment and milage to hospital for $3500.

On top of that, hospital somehow decided it was a work related accident, so it went on workcomp, which we are not eligible for and ni matter how many times we told them..... It's still billed under workcomp Banging head

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 6:35 pm
I was charged several hundred dollars for a pain consultant during my first c-section. I did not recall any conversation with a pain consultant.
It later became clear that the "nurse" who came into my room while I was still semi-asleep and said "when it hurts, push the button" was the pain consultant.
That charge was dropped.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 6:39 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
The problem is that every insurance is different so hospitals can't take responsibility to keep track of who is in network. I think there should be legislation that insurance has to pay for everything at an in network hospital.

Look at the link I posted above.

The law is that if you are sent a surprise bill, meaning you were treated by a practitioner who did not take your insurance without your knowledge, you can file a claim with your insurance. They need to pick up the coverage and the maximum out of pocket cost to you is whatever it would be if you saw an in-network practitioner.

Also, whenever I go in to the hospital to have a baby, I bring along a signed and notarized document that I do not authorize any out-of-network practitioner to treat myself or my baby. I wrote in the document that I will sue any practitioner who violates these terms for unauthorized medical treatment.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:22 pm
$90,000 for the first few days of NICU care for one of my twins. Somehow just those few days, for just that one baby, didn’t get submitted through insurance. (B”H they sorted that out next day!)

ETA: Craziest bill I actually owed = $750 for one of my ultrasounds when I had my twins. I was flabbergasted. (And that was MY portion of costs AFTER insurance!)

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:32 pm
I also got a $6 bill with a letter stating that the doctor planned to terminate me as patient for nonpayment.

I had no clue who the doctor was.

I called the office and found out it was for one service that a doctor from another practice who covered for my doctor one day when I was in the hospital. The question remains, why was that one service not covered by my insurance? And how in the world was ANY uncovered hospital service only $6?! I paid it and move on with my life.

Medical finances are weird.

cbsp

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:41 pm
Oooh, I just remembered that my insurance denied coverage for services related to a miscarriage and subsequent ovarian cyst removal surgery because they had on record that I was in a car accident.

We did hit a deer. 3 years earlier.

The absurd part was that I was bounced from agent to agent who kept insisting that my auto insurance was responsible.

UQT

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:42 pm
I got a random bill for my 2 year old for $1200 from a place in Brooklyn. 'As I live in Lakewood, I was utterly mystified. I did some googling and it turns out it was from an Urgent care center in Lakewood. I did a strep test there and my daughter gagged and threw up on the nurse, so they had to do it twice. I guess the vomit ticked them off because they billed $1200.

As an aside - I am on a healthshare not a health insurance. I learned the hard way that anyone with a healthshare should not go to an urgent care center. The bloated fees can use up your deductible in a flash. Instead of paying $1200 for a strep test I could have paid $25 for it at the doctor.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:44 pm
When I gave birth they called in an anesthesiologist to give me the epidural. The doctor barely sat down when my OB said "no time for any of that, time to push!" And shooed the anesthesiologist out.
I got billed for a consult from him. He had not touched me nor discussed any options with me.
I called my insurance and they thanked me for pointing it out and knocked it off the bill.

happyness

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:02 pm
My cousin once got an itemized bill for her son's hospital stay, there was a pregnancy test on the list!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:12 pm
pmom wrote:
I had a baby 3 months ago. I arrived to the hospital to be induced at 11:59pm on 6/4 but was only admitted at 3:30am on 6/5
on my bill breakdown there was a $8900 charge for a shared room in the maternity ward for 6/4!
I'm trying to fight it and they are saying that as soon as you arrive to the hospital they reserve a room on the postpartum maternitiy wing. so they are charging me $8900 for 1 minute.
the biggest joke is that after I had my baby I waited about 6 hours in the labor room because they did not have an available room on the maternity floor yet.
PS I do have insurance but only covers partial. I am responsible for 3499 from this bill and don't want to pay.

Just, wow!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:19 pm
pmom wrote:

I got to the hospital shortly after midnight so clearly the next day. Anesthesiology tried billing me for both the previous day and the day they actually gave me the epidural. Joke is first bill filled my deductible so I need to pay, while the second insurance paid , and I won't pay the bill on the date we weren't in the hospital. Everytime they send it I call them and explain we weren't in the hospital that day. They tell me they'll correct it, and then send another wrong bill. I'm in no rush to pay them.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:27 pm
This pales in comparison to anything else written so far, but I got a $70 bill from an internist for a "surgical procedure" which involved removing a bit of wax from my ear in order to see my (infected) eardrum.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:29 pm
I just had that I had insurance thru my work but I was on medicaid for when I was to give birth as my work insurance doesnt cover everything. I gave the hospital both insurances and for some reason the epidural company only billed medicaid. Medicaid denied it as they are a secondary insurance and I have another insurance as primary. The epidural company sent the bill to me for $6000. I panicked and I called them up they said they just need the primary insurance info. They sent it to my primary and they paid a certain percentage but then instead of billing the remaining to medicaid they billed me for about $2000. I panicked again but then bh they said its a mistake and theyre going to bill medicaid. So almost 6 months after I gave birth they billed medicaid and then I got a letter that medicaid denied it bcz they were too late to file the claim. BH I didn't have to pay it but the epidural company had to swallow it.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:36 pm
I just received a bill for $1300 from a hospital in the country.
We were there for the summer and I had cellulitis with fever. My dr said go to the hospital and take a blood test to check my white blood count.
I was in the emergency room about 2 hours - mind you, in the hallway
All they did was give me iv which is protocol and a blood test. They billed my insurance for $2500 and my plan allows $1300. (I have a deductible)
Am I supposed to be paying this??

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:13 pm
I didn’t get a bill but was told by my life insurance agent that on my records my doctor billed for counseling me on a smoking addiction. Which ruins my life insurance status.

I’m definitely not a smoker and was very upset at him for taking advantage but the doctor claimed it was a billing error.

mommyfish

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:18 am
Got a bill for $20,000 for a surgery that was supposedly covered. Turns out they billed under a doctor in Huston with the same name..... as an aside, do these doctors really get $20,000 per patient?? I’m in the wrong business....

Mayflower

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:36 am
Wow, all of these stories are absolutely insane! I am so thankful for European health insurance.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics