Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I can't stop annoying my DD about her habit!
Previous  1  2

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 3:32 pm
Emotional wrote:
Even if it's just socially off, it can be damaging in the long run.

That's what I meant by damaging.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 6yo DD has a bad/strange/unsightly habit that compromises her modesty (and cleanliness somewhat). She is extremely upset when I mention it- but I have SUCH. A. HARD. TIME. not saying anything. I tell her that if she needs to do it, she should go to the bathroom- to which she answers me: "so I should go to the bathroom every second???". You get my point- she's doing it ALL THE TIME.

I don't want her to lose friends over it, but commenting isn't helping.
I've suggested charts with stickers but the results are very short term...does anyone have any strategies that have worked in similar situations?

I'm at a loss here. Passing gas wouldn't be unsightly, and wouldn't compromise her modesty. Blowing nose, picking nose, no on the modesty. Scratching her tush?

Anyway, you're categorizing it as a "habit," while she's categorizing it as a physical need (she needs to do it all the time -- needs, not wants). I think the first place to start is with her pediatrician, to determine who is right.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was hoping to get advice about how to help a child stop a bad habit- the details are not relevant- other than the fact that her habit drives me crazy!
But OP, the details are very relevant. If the habit is only driving YOU crazy, then YOU have to reframe. If it is something that is dangerous, then we would all suggest something else. If it was something that was socially not acceptable, we would suggst something else.
Of course the details are important. Different habits are going to have different way to apporoach to fix them.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 11:24 pm
If it’s socially inappropriate, she needs to either stop or go to another room. If it only annoys you, work on yourself. If it is physically damaging to her, get help to help her stop - with sensitivity!
If you pressure her at all, it will only make it worse and harder to stop.
DD is 11 she has just decided to stop sucking her thumb. It came from her. Anyone telling her to stop didn’t help. Only her decision that she was done helped. Yes she needs braces.

california2

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:52 am
Maybe nose picking? In which case, not sure what the recommendations would be, but happy to hear what other say!

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:11 am
Touching her nipples?
Some kids just need an object of similar texture, like a pencil eraser, until they get beyond this stage.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children