Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What non kosher food are you super curious about?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Dina2018

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:51 am
2cents wrote:
We dont eat dairy and fish together. I've always badly wanted to taste a tuna melt (tuna fish salad on a bagel with melted Munster cheese). My roommate used to make the and they smelled heavenly.

I‘m sure it‘“ll be the same or very close with parve cheese!

Dina2018

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:52 am
Raw wrote:
Oysters
Lobster
Pork, especially pork chops and belly
Spaghetti bolognese with Parmesan on top
Non kosher wine!!

never tasted a difference btw kosher and non kosher wine!

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:54 am
heidi wrote:
Lucky me!
I get to eat non kosher OuD products.
And they really are delicious.
How about trying to answer Op's question about non kosher foods that interest you and not bring perfectly kosher foods with excellent hechsherim into the discussion

that is really unnecessarily nasty. This is a frum forum, people should be able to talk about food they are restricted from eating due to halacha. Whether it is not eating milk and fish together, (a minhag) not eating the back half of the animal, (no good reason for this) or not eating chicken kiev, (also not a midaraisa btw) or not eating pork chops.

I agree with mama bear about vegetables. I would love to be able to eat fresh broccoli and asparagus and raspberries and cauliflower. Some of those we eat but are a pain to check and life is too short. (sometimes I will prep just for me)

And this is not a chumra (chalav yisrael is not a chumra either). Bugs are a super serious issur.

Last edited by Raisin on Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:15 am; edited 2 times in total

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:57 am
Sorry, none.

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:57 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
For those saying they want Hershey bars, I can tell you that high-quality chalav yisrael chocolate bars, like those from Schmerling's, are so much better than Hershey's. Hershey's is low quality chocolate.

Now, Lindt truffles are quite good. I can see that you'd want those. But the best chocolate overall is Schmerling's Noblesse 72% chocolate. It's dark chocolate, my favorite.

lindt dark chocolate is kosher and pareve here. There are quite a few brands of excellent pareve chocolate I can get. (I miss after 8s, they used to be pareve!) And while I live dark chocolate, especially paired with mint, my preferance is really for milk chocolate.

I know schmerlings is amazing, it is just not sold where I live most of the time. (only at pesach) Plus it is way more expensive then chalav stam chocolate and even any of the other chalav yisrael stuff.

I don't seem to have an issue finding chalav yisrael chocolate I like. My waistline can attest.

Dina2018

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:05 am
Raisin wrote:
lindt dark chocolate is kosher and pareve here.

I know schmerlings is amazing, it is just not sold where I live most of the time. (only at pesach) Plus it is way more expensive then chalav stam chocolate and even any of the other chalav yisrael stuff.

I don't seem to have an issue finding chalav yisrael chocolate I like. My waistline can attest.

where is lindt kosher? I“l buy like a ton

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:20 am
lindt chocolate from the uk is kosher (maybe also from Europe, not sure)

The truffles are not, but a bunch of others or on the kosher list, and a few are pareve. I think it is mostly the bars. Check isitkosher.uk

Dina2018

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:31 am
[quote="Raisin"]lindt chocolate from the uk is kosher (maybe also from Europe, not sure)

The truffles are not, but a bunch of others or on the kosher list, and a few are pareve. I think it is mostly the bars. Check isitkosher.uk[/quote
thank you

Raw

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:14 am
Dina2018 wrote:
never tasted a difference btw kosher and non kosher wine!

I want to be able to go out for a drink and order wine, not hard alcohol.

jd1212

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:21 am
animeme wrote:
Yep. I want to eat the Cinnabons. Also, I've always wanted to taste tacos with meat and cheese and sour cream, and especially Indian food with meat and yogurt.

There is a kosher Cinnabons in Hackensack, NJ. It is out of this world.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:30 pm
heidi wrote:
Lucky me!
I get to eat non kosher OuD products.
And they really are delicious.
How about trying to answer Op's question about non kosher foods that interest you and not bring perfectly kosher foods with excellent hechsherim into the discussion

Quote:

Simple1 wrote:
There was another thread about foods that make you gag and I had nothing to contribute. Until reading this thread. With lobster at the top of the list. Yes, I know it's not a mitzvah to be disgusted by traif.

THIS.

No non-kosher food interests me at all. They all sound gross to me. Can't help ya.

As for chocolate, I have a hankering for ferrero rocher chocolates. I wish there would be a kosher version. I'm sure there is one but I dont know it.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:05 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
For those saying they want Hershey bars, I can tell you that high-quality chalav yisrael chocolate bars, like those from Schmerling's, are so much better than Hershey's. Hershey's is low quality chocolate.

Now, Lindt truffles are quite good. I can see that you'd want those. But the best chocolate overall is Schmerling's Noblesse 72% chocolate. It's dark chocolate, my favorite.

That’s like comparing tuna salad and sea bass. Both can be delicious but totally different moods and tastes. I personally prefer Hershey’s, it’s creamy and melts in your mouth and the special dark is really good. The shmerlings you’ve gotta really bite down it’s so hard.

Speaking of which, tuna melts are definitely delicious too.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:07 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

As for chocolate, I have a hankering for ferrero rocher chocolates. I wish there would be a kosher version. I'm sure there is one but I dont know it.

There is! But I've only ever seen it in Israel. When I have access to ferrero roche, I POUND em.

Come to think of it, I think I've seen/had in the US, but not sure.

sima

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:20 pm
BT here from Europe so I can give you the rundown......
Shrimp, blah, tastes like ocean never liked them
Lobster, tastes pretty good, but really grosses me out. We never had it much.
Crab much better, but you can get decent fake crab.
Pork, bacon it tasted pretty good especially good when crispy.
I miss real good Italian Salami, Prosciutto, etc......

Frog legs, taste like chicken more delicate,
Octopus, gummy and rubbery, Calamari are fried Octopus, so so
Snails & Mussels Puke I don't know how people in my country of origin eat this.......

The thing I miss most are all the cheeses. Kosher cheese doesn't compare to the plethora of cheeses we had.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:31 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
THIS.

No non-kosher food interests me at all. They all sound gross to me. Can't help ya.

They are absolutely, completely kosher. OU-D.

I understand that you don't hold by OU-D. But its not that its not kosher.

elaela

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:07 pm
all those heavenly cheeses and pick-salami (10 years ago they had a kosher version of real hungarian pick-salami and I loved it. unfortunately I havent seen it in the past ten years). I also miss german bread (although I was told that there is amazing bavarian pat isroel bread...but I havent go access to it)
ferrero products (some a re ou-d , I keep chalav isroel, and the products im craving arent certified)

hey but there is pretty decent kosher food, I havent lost a single pound since eating kosher Wink

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:19 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Of all the Hearts that I have received, this is the most confusing.

A member of the Hershey family?

There is something extremely iconic about Hersheys chocolate. It was distributed by GI's to children after WW II and I think also in Vietnam. I don't know what is done with the new modern type of warfare.

I had a friend who would shlep back European chocolate chips when she returned from a visit because the standard American chocolate uses some kind of substances that gives is a waxy texture versus really premium chocolate.

But if you grew up on Hershey's chocolate and most Americans did, it is the equivalent of the Proustian Madeleine cookie.

But aren't Hershey bars kosher? They are certified by the OUD which means they are kosher although perhaps some don't feel they are "kosher" enough?

Like Joy In The Morning, there are more delicious ways to spend my indulgence calories than a Hershey bar. LOL Now too bad Sees Chocolates aren't kosher Sad

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:13 pm
penguin wrote:
Yuk to most of the above.

What I would possibly like to try is Chicken Kiev, but I think I would try it with margarine (healthy, of course) very happily. Doesn't even have to be butter flavored.

I’ve had it made kosher. It was like cutting into a pus pimple. Gobs and gobs of melted fat squirting out with every stab of the fork. Pretty gross to look at. Being that it was at a meal to break a fast, I wasn’t repelled enough not to eat it, but have never had any desire to repeat the experience.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:49 pm
[quote="Dina2018"]
Raisin wrote:
lindt chocolate from the uk is kosher (maybe also from Europe, not sure)

The truffles are not, but a bunch of others or on the kosher list, and a few are pareve. I think it is mostly the bars. Check isitkosher.uk[/quote
thank you

Whoa, halt. I have eaten Lindt chocolate truffles and I keep kosher. The Lindt truffles that you can sometimes get at Costco are definitely kosher. I don't remember if they have the O-U D or the Kaf-K D, but they have a perfectly respectable hashgacha for those of us who eat chalav stam.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:53 pm
zaq wrote:
I’ve had it made kosher. It was like cutting into a pus pimple. Gobs and gobs of melted fat squirting out with every stab of the fork. Pretty gross to look at. Being that it was at a meal to break a fast, I wasn’t repelled enough not to eat it, but have never had any desire to repeat the experience.

I've never had Chicken Kiev but there is no comparison between the taste of butter and the taste of margarine. Margarine melts into the oil from which it came - butter melts into a sublime tasting confection Very Happy

Just think of the difference between baked goods made with real butter versus those made with oil or margarine.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics