Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Challenge - getting my pie to DC in EY

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:44 am
Help me with the logistics. How do I get my pie to my child in EY? Is there an issue bringing it into the country? How do I pack it? Anyone ever done something similar?

Aylat

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 9:24 am
My mum sends hamentaschen through the post from Israel to the UK every year. Lots of bubble wrap. Inside a cereal box or similar. Write fragile on it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 10:17 am
I have someone who can transport it on the plane. Is there a problem getting through customs with a pie? DC is homesick and wants my pie.

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:52 pm
I've done cheesecake without any problems. Froze, double wrapped in foil and shopping bag - in a suitcase between layers of clothing. Never had a problem. It's cooked so not a problem to bring in.

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:58 pm
what type of pie is it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:59 pm
unexpected wrote:
I've done cheesecake without any problems. Froze, double wrapped in foil and shopping bag - in a suitcase between layers of clothing. Never had a problem. It's cooked so not a problem to bring in.

Did you check the luggage?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:00 pm
Raisin wrote:
what type of pie is it?

Pumpkin

Teomima

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:02 pm
Israel doesn't freak out about food like some other countries, so it should be totally fine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:07 pm
Teomima wrote:
Israel doesn't freak out about food like some other countries, so it should be totally fine.

Thank you

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:11 pm
I've sent pies in the past. never had an issue with it. Make sure that it's packed really well and that there's no empty space for the pie filling to fall out of, I would cover the pie with foil and then reinforce it with the pie cover and then put it into a hard box so it doesn't get squashed in the luggage. I'm sure it's greatly appreciated.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:37 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I've sent pies in the past. never had an issue with it. Make sure that it's packed really well and that there's no empty space for the pie filling to fall out of, I would cover the pie with foil and then reinforce it with the pie cover and then put it into a hard box so it doesn't get squashed in the luggage. I'm sure it's greatly appreciated.

Should I buy a pie carrier?

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:40 pm
I would have the person check it in. The hold of a plane is cold. Pack really well, maybe with some ice packs? Or freeze the pie and send frozen.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:18 pm
Raisin wrote:
I would have the person check it in. The hold of a plane is cold. Pack really well, maybe with some ice packs? Or freeze the pie and send frozen.

How can you be sure it won't go upside down?

unexpected

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did you check the luggage?

Yup. Also, they opened it up when we were checking in and asked what it was. I told them it was cheesecake and they said fine... so really there were no problems.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions