Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Social media & public comments
1  2  Next

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 10:50 am
I follow some ppl on social media and I have seen a few times where they get upset about negative feedback to their posts.
Let me say, I do not condone mean or personal attacks!

But if someone is a photographer, and they might get a comment like - the lighting was off on that photo, or not my favorite or similar; and the poster gets all upset about how ppl shouldn't post negative feedback.
Well , it's a public page. So are they not opening themselves up to both praise & criticism?
It doesn't affect me personally, since I don't post nor do I comment. if I dislike something I move on.
But I do wonder if someone has a public page, then can they insist on only positive comments or likes?
Or are they correct that it's hurtful, and since they're trying to promote their business, there should be no negative comments?

Also, in a similar vein about public pages & social media- people who become somewhat famous but then complain about the fame. For example, there was an interview with a man who has a very popular dog on social media. He makes a lot of money off the posts and yet he complained that ppl like to come up and pet the dog, say hi, act like they know the dog etc.
Well, um yes - you are relying on the popularity of your animal to earn you an obscene amount of money a year; without the public you would need a regular 9-5 job! To me it's part and parcel of being famous on social media.

What do y'all think?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:47 pm
I have alot to say about this: first off I once watched a makeup artist give a nighttime skin tutorial while her long wig was literally hanging in her face. she got products all over her wig. I dm'ed her if she could either wear a tichel or at least pin her wig or wear a band while doing these kind of tutorials, guess what happen next?! She blocked me 😂 yup!

Another time a company that sells girls sweatbands and stuff asked 'Did you buy them yet? What are you waiting for go out now and get them' I answered there question box I wish I could however there way overpriced.... Blocked as well.... Oh well.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:09 pm
I'm usually a voyeur on these things. I never comment. Sometimes I'll like a post, but only if it really really inspires me or I'm really impressed. I don't just like every post I see.

A short while ago, one of the people I follow went on a whole rant about something in her stories. I honestly even forget what she was talking about now, but at the time, I actually disagreed with her, and thought she should see it from the other point of view. I respectfully said I disagree, and went out of my way to say but I love her and love her posts, etc etc. She didn't answer back, and I forgot all about my comment. And I don't always check instagram.

The next time I logged in, I realized that she blocked me. It's literally the oddest thing. She has a public page, so anyone can see all her posts. And I didn't post this publicly, I posted it to a private DM chat. Oh well.

The thing social media commenters should realize is that there's literally dozens of people crowding each of these little niches they've made for themselves. And I don't miss that woman who blocked me, there's a bunch of others who fill the same role. In the end of the day, instagram is about people selling you things. Whether it's themselves, or their products, or trying to get promoters, etc. So if you take the time to alienate customers, or you're too thin-skinned, the only person it's going to hurt is you. Not the people who follow you.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:16 pm
Yes the posts I saw were on fb not Instagram but prob similar.
I feel the same as you, but apparently ppl get upset. 🤷‍♀️

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:21 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I have alot to say about this: first off I once watched a makeup artist give a nighttime skin tutorial while her long wig was literally hanging in her face. she got products all over her wig. I dm'ed her if she could either wear a tichel or at least pin her wig or wear a band while doing these kind of tutorials, guess what happen next?! She blocked me 😂 yup!

Another time a company that sells girls sweatbands and stuff asked 'Did you buy them yet? What are you waiting for go out now and get them' I answered there question box I wish I could however there way overpriced.... Blocked as well.... Oh well.

To be fair, I can very well imagine someone pointing out to others that the prices are way too high upsetting someone who is trying to sell those products.

nechamashifra

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:31 pm
I use social media to promote my business and while I have never encountered negative feedback, if someone were to publicly post under one of my images with a negative comment, I would probably delete the comment. It's my brand, I've put years of work into it and my social media page is kind of like the store front to my business.

If you didn't like a dress in the window of a store, would you write on the store window "this dress is ugly"? Would you pin a note on a Chanel suit in a department store "this is too expensive"?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:34 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
I use social media to promote my business and while I have never encountered negative feedback, if someone were to publicly post under one of my images with a negative comment, I would probably delete the comment. It's my brand, I've put years of work into it and my social media page is kind of like the store front to my business.

If you didn't like a dress in the window of a store, would you write on the store window "this dress is ugly"? Would you pin a note on a Chanel suit in a department store "this is too expensive"?

Or would you walk by a live display booth and make some disparaging comment or offer some 'helpful' suggestions? Just because you're an anonymous person on line, doesn't make it any less rude.

ichbingreit

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 1:55 pm
those things are kind of rude and uncomfortable....like you cant tell someone that they are overpriced or tell them to wear a tichel...I mean its her account and apparentky those people think its fine..

I once messaged a news page on instgram asking them oh why didnt you write anything about a certin event( an arson in a jewish community that happened that day). in a very neutral one sentence question...I thought maybe they didnt her about it. it was in europe.
and guess what....10 mins later I was blocked. I was really confused and disturbed by that

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:25 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
To be fair, I can very well imagine someone pointing out to others that the prices are way too high upsetting someone who is trying to sell those products.

I hear you, however I dm'ed this to a different company which there reply was ' we are sorry you feel our products is not in your budget, feel free to check out our clearance sale'. Now this is a company I would shop at.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:37 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Or would you walk by a live display booth and make some disparaging comment or offer some 'helpful' suggestions? Just because you're an anonymous person on line, doesn't make it any less rude.

People do that all the time in real life stores. They complain about food, clothing, makeup, etc. They bring back items they bought and/or send back food to the kitchen. Its called customer service in real life. Stores that provide good customer service tend to last much longer than stores that are rude or unhelpful to customers. So if you have an online account then why would you think that your customers do not have a right to critique you or offer feedback? Why would you think that online stores shouldnt have the same customer service that brick and mortar stores have?

ETA: blocking people online is no different than banning people from entering your brick and mortar store which may be illegal so be careful how you treat customers who are only trying to help you by giving you feedback (even if you perceive it as negative).

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 2:53 pm
So of course customer satisfaction is important, but on the other hand- no one is walking into a store saying aloud "ooh that's ugly". (To oneself maybe Wink So yes I can see that as being rude.
But idk why I feel like if you accept ppl's complimentary comments, you need to accept negative ones too.

What about my other question regarding approaching social media figures in real life?

nechamashifra

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:11 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
People do that all the time in real life stores. They complain about food, clothing, makeup, etc. They bring back items they bought and/or send back food to the kitchen. Its called customer service in real life. Stores that provide good customer service tend to last much longer than stores that are rude or unhelpful to customers. So if you have an online account then why would you think that your customers do not have a right to critique you or offer feedback? Why would you think that online stores shouldnt have the same customer service that brick and mortar stores have?

ETA: blocking people online is no different than banning people from entering your brick and mortar store which may be illegal so be careful how you treat customers who are only trying to help you by giving you feedback (even if you perceive it as negative).

Absolutely people are allowed to complain about a service or product, and customer service is everything. But posting negative feedback publicly is like returning your food at the restaurant via loudspeaker or spraying a graffiti complaint on the wall of the store you’re unhappy with. Privately sending a dm with your feedback, now that is what I’d consider constructive criticism. And yes, blocking someone over a private dm is imho very immature.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:19 pm
nechamashifra wrote:

The difference is that social media is an inherently interactive medium. The point of it is to create two-way social interactions.

You don't have to choose to use social media. Go open a brick-and-mortar store, or even use a regular static Web 1.0 website to advertise your business. But using social media is like hanging a huge whiteboard in your store with a request for comments. You can't do that and then choose to be upset when people write comments.

(Note: I don't ever post anything on social media, ever, so this is not me excusing anything I've done. It's just my thoughts on social media as a business venue in general. And I also think, obviously, that people should be sensitive about how they post comments.)

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:29 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
Absolutely people are allowed to complain about a service or product, and customer service is everything. But posting negative feedback publicly is like returning your food at the restaurant via loudspeaker or spraying a graffiti complaint on the wall of the store you’re unhappy with. Privately sending a dm with your feedback, now that is what I’d consider constructive criticism. And yes, blocking someone over a private dm is imho very immature.

So far none has post that they posted any negativity in the comments only through DMs.

In the comments it's just playing rude

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:40 pm
nechamashifra wrote:

Of course people post negative comments publicly all the time. They can post on yelp, google, twitter, instagram, amazon, etc. Quite frankly, if you have a business and/or promoting products then you are subject to public critique whether you like it or not. Not sure why anyone promoting themselves on instagram feels like they are so perfect and above getting negative feedback. Take the feedback and see if you can improve yourself to provide better service in the future or risk losing your clients/viewers (and then you wont have anyone to promote these products to so it will be your loss).

nechamashifra

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:50 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Of course people post negative comments publicly all the time. They can post on yelp, google, twitter, instagram, amazon, etc. Quite frankly, if you have a business and/or promoting products then you are subject to public critique whether you like it or not. Not sure why anyone promoting themselves on instagram feels like they are so perfect and above getting negative feedback. Take the feedback and see if you can improve yourself to provide better service in the future or risk losing your clients/viewers (and then you wont have anyone to promote these products to so it will be your loss).

Ok, I think I misunderstood. I was talking about random negative opinions from people who have never used the service or bought the product. ie "I don't like this look" or "this is too expensive for me" posted publicly on social media. I'm all for authentic online reviews, especially in places that call for reviews like amazon, yelp, google etc...if only positive reviews were accepted, it would be difficult to know what we're getting when shopping online. Also, vendors would not be able to improve themselves if they were never critiqued for bad services/products.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:03 pm
nechamashifra wrote:
Ok, I think I misunderstood. I was talking about random negative opinions from people who have never used the service or bought the product. ie "I don't like this look" or "this is too expensive for me" posted publicly on social media. I'm all for authentic online reviews, especially in places that call for reviews like amazon, yelp, google etc...if only positive reviews were accepted, it would be difficult to know what we're getting when shopping online. Also, vendors would not be able to improve themselves if they were never critiqued for bad services/products.

I believe that instagram is more interactive so its more open to people making comments that they may not make in real life. But I also dont think that saying that something is too expensive or not right for them is negative either. Its good feedback to have as it allows the business to maybe look for cheaper products or different items so that their followers can afford things and/or find products that they would actually use. This style of interacting may even help brick and mortar stores who are struggling as they may be able to find products that their customers would be able to afford and like enough to buy so not sure why comments like these are considered negative. Welcome the feedback and see if you can make the changes so that you clientele can afford to buy from you (essentially helping you as well since you are the one making money).

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:42 pm
Interesting perspectives to read! The most recent one I saw was a type of creative person who was upset by negative feedback on their craft. The craft is for purchase but also viewable to the general public on their pages.

Which made me wonder if they were right & criticism was hurtful & pointless or just a matter of course when things are in the public eye.

Frankly, this is one reason I don't post - I know I would take everything personally & feel awful. I get anxious posting on here often.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:23 pm
Nowhere in Hilchos Shmiras Halashon does it say that because someone has a public page online, it's okay to announce to the world that you are unhappy with them/their product. Nowhere.

Sure, people go into stores and return things and complain to the owner. They're complaining to the owner. They're not announcing to the world to never shop in that store. And if they would, they would be speaking Lashon Harah. The internet doesn't change the Halacha and make it muttar.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:44 pm
Ummm it was actually not jewish ppl I was referring to so it's more etiquette than halacha.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette