Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Self-stimulation behavior - Stimming help

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:12 pm
My school aged child recently started Stimming [Self-stimulatory behavior, is the repetition of physical movements, sounds, words, or moving objects]

At first the behavior was done on occasion and wasn't very noticeable, but now its coming out more frequently, especially when the child is under stress or trying hard to concentrate on a task.

A few years ago, it was present for a few months, as a different behavior and then went away on its own.

Now its a different behavior.

Its not harmful to the child or others, but it is distracting and strange.

How can I help my child stop Stimming?

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:15 pm
Is it when said child is under stress, like a new school year?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:18 pm
Absolutely.

It started during the summer, in a new day camp and is continuing into the school year at a more intense behavior

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:24 pm
Please please try to ignore it especially if it might be temporary.

Try to Distract your child when you see this behavior,don't mention it.
Maybe ask your child what is getting him worried and maybe he can do something to stop the worry, like holding a squish ball,do not say anything about the stimming.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:35 pm
Are you sure it is stimming and not just an anxious fidget? Since you say it occurs under pressure and working hard. Focus on ways to handle stress, rather than focusing on the behavior.

bet

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:59 pm
If it’s really stimming then you need to get rid of whatever is causing it first- the anxiety, sadness, frustration.....
Does it look like a tic? Is it involuntary?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:02 pm
Stimming may seem strange, but ultimately, it should be accepted. It is simply part of who he is, like skin color or shoe size.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:56 pm
My adult child’s stimmming was brought enormously under control be a ketosis based diet. I wish I’d known when he was young. We are tweaking meds for other things as well but he is off almost all of them.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 7:52 pm
andrea levy wrote:
My adult child’s stimmming was brought enormously under control be a ketosis based diet. I wish I’d known when he was young. We are tweaking meds for other things as well but he is off almost all of them.

Yes diet can really help these types of behaviors and get the brain back in balance so it doesn’t keep misfiring. Even if you just start by eliminating harmful ingredients, that can make a huge difference.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)