Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Need advice and help urgently

ynmets

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 9:51 pm
I learned of a boy who the mother is placing in public school due to being thrown out of school twice.
Is there an organization who can help in this situation( in finding placement for a Jewish child)?

I feel it's my responsibility to try to help the situation.

simba

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 9:53 pm
Why is he being thrown out of school?

ynmets

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 9:54 pm
Not for Yiddishkeit issues, behavioral issues.

Not violent or anything, just behavioral difficulties. He's about 8.

teachkids

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:23 am
ynmets wrote:
Not for Yiddishkeit issues, behavioral issues.

Not violent or anything, just behavioral difficulties. He's about 8.

As hard as it is to hear, depending on the cause of the behavior, public school may be better for him. If there's an underlying emotional or learning issue, dealing with it at the root in public school through an IEP can help him get through it and return to enjoying school, and possibly return him to yeshiva. If he's just bumped from yeshiva to yeshiva because of these behavior issues, it could easily CV"S leave him with a very bitter taste about Torah.

DVOM

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:40 am
Two years in public school was one of the best decisions we ever made for my kid. This child's parents are making a choice that seems like a tragedy to you, and I can understand why. But please don't assume that they need your help unless they're asking for it. They have a right to decide what's best for their kid, and public school might actually be what's best for his spirituality in the long run. He can get help there that he may not be able to access in a Yeshiva.

If you want to be helpful, perhaps make sure that this kid is invited and welcomed into your home so that he maintains good friendships with other frum kids and feels that he is still part of and needed in your neighborhood/community.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:13 am
If there are a number of frum kids in public school, maybe several community members can put together a program for after school or Sunday.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 4:39 am
If he has issues, public school might be a better place for him. I know afew kids that attend public school for certain services, it's not the end of the world.
The question is if the mom is taking care of the issues, because if not the child might be thrown out of public school just as well.

hotzenplotz

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 6:55 am
I assume nobody was able to pinpoint what triggers his behavior problem.

A good neuro-psychologist like Dr. Herman Davidowitz total cost $2900 (queens).

The evaluation can tell if behavior is organic(brain born this way), or because learning issues, undetected dyslexia despite ability to read etc. etc. or because of trauma.

(3 two hour evaluations and one parent consultation.)

If this would be a family member or close friend, I would advise only if I will sponsor the evaluation. (I cannot offer my help just a small donation since I am already sponsoring special needs/special schooling for extended family...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics