Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Vodka & motrin for teething baby
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:03 pm
Help! I smeared vodka on my babys gums cause shes teething so badly! It didnt help. She did not stop shrieking! An hour later I gave her motrin. Anything to be worried about it?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:05 pm
How old is she? I'm assuming over six months. In general it's not considered safe to rub vodka on gums. There no amount of alcohol that's safe for babies.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:08 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
How old is she? I'm assuming over six months. In general it's not considered safe to rub vodka on gums. There no amount of alcohol that's safe for babies.

What do u mean considered safe? And why younger then 6 months yes?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:10 pm
The same way you wouldn't give a baby vodka to drink, you shouldn't put it on her gums. It can be very dangerous. Motrin should not be given to babies under six months without running it by her doctor.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do u mean considered safe? And why younger then 6 months yes?

No Motrin under 6 months.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:47 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
No Motrin under 6 months.

I was asking why its safer under 6 months alcohol. I understand motrin is not ok for such young babies

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 12:57 am
Alcohol is NOT safer under 6 months. Yes I know that we sometimes give a DROP of sweet Kiddush wine to a baby before a bris but 1. That started a long time ago before tylenol etc was invented. No doctor would recommend that these days 3. It's the much Less alcoholic than vodka

Please go discuss the whole thing with doctor or an older person in real life because it seems that there are some gaps in your basic knowledge that you need to sort out. Eg as well as the alcohol being bad for the baby's internal systems, I am guessing that the vodka stung, just like putting alcohol on any wound would sting.

The baby will be ok don't worry but do go speak to someone

EsaEinai

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:33 am
I’ve got a great pediatrician and I think he told me to put shnops on baby’s gums for teething when I had that issue. Call your doc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:07 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Alcohol is NOT safer under 6 months. Yes I know that we sometimes give a DROP of sweet Kiddush wine to a baby before a bris but 1. That started a long time ago before tylenol etc was invented. No doctor would recommend that these days 3. It's the much Less alcoholic than vodka

Please go discuss the whole thing with doctor or an older person in real life because it seems that there are some gaps in your basic knowledge that you need to sort out. Eg as well as the alcohol being bad for the baby's internal systems, I am guessing that the vodka stung, just like putting alcohol on any wound would sting.

Before you guys are being super rude, im not doing it cause I had a good dream that its going to help. Mothers have been doing this for years! And I know all about not giving motrin to a child under 6 months! I was just concerned if maybe I gave the motrin to close to the smearing the alcohol. Thats all. And now stop being rude! Thank you!

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:10 am
I don't see anyone being rude.

You asked for advice and people are advising you to consult a pediatrician before giving your baby medication and alcohol.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:11 am
Mothers have been doing it for years but now we have the medical knowledge to understand that it's not safe. Babies are extremely susceptible to alcohol poisoning even from small amounts.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:26 am
She's not being rude - she's pointing out that you did something dangerous for your baby and you should learn not to do it anymore.

A quick Google search about rubbing alcohol on a baby's gums shows these articles:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/a.....t.amp
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/a.....5.htm
https://www.romper.com/p/I-tri.....32194
https://vinepair.com/articles/.....tory/
https://www.babymed.com/blogs/.....risky
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/5.....-nos/

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 9:44 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:

While your information is not wrong, you are being unduly harsh.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:23 am
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Mothers have been doing it for years but now we have the medical knowledge to understand that it's not safe. Babies are extremely susceptible to alcohol poisoning even from small amounts.

Ur reminding me of this new thing that came up no giving honey to a newborn. My friend ran to the dr. Cause her mother gave her baby on yt a tiny honey to lick. The dr couldnt stop laughing. She said back in the days honey was medication. Nothing changes.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ur reminding me of this new thing that came up no giving honey to a newborn. My friend ran to the dr. Cause her mother gave her baby on yt a tiny honey to lick. The dr couldnt stop laughing. She said back in the days honey was medication. Nothing changes.

I see we have very different views on the world of medicine. Not sure why alcohol plus Motrin concerns you while a baby ingesting hard alcohol doesn't concern you, but ok.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:21 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
While your information is not wrong, you are being unduly harsh.

I'm not sure how else I could have worded it.

OP the thing that concerned me most was when you asked why alcohol was better for under 6 months than over 6 months. That question got me really worried.

I'm. Sure you're a great mom and all, but just go and talk to some real life people about all these sorts of things. Ok?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 12:47 pm
Why would you give alcohol to a child
it is illegal and dangerous

Amalia

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Help! I smeared vodka on my babys gums cause shes teething so badly! It didnt help. She did not stop shrieking! An hour later I gave her motrin. Anything to be worried about it?

Dear OP,

You asked if there was anything to be worried about.

I heard first-hand from a man who lived in Siberia for a while that the saddest sight he ever saw in his whole life was drunk babies.

Think about it, please!

And call your pediatrician for recommendations of what to do.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Are you serious or are you just winding us up?

There are good scientific reasons for not giving alcohol to children and for avoiding honey before age one. It's not a joke.

Edited to correct autocorrect.

Last edited by Rutabaga on Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:39 pm
I dab a drop of bourbon on my babies gums when teething. I'm not "giving alcohol" to my babies. It doesn't sting, it numbs the pain. Its impossible that they ingest it, it's such a tiny amount. Many many parents are doing so without any effects on the babies.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics