Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Women in Jewish history
1  2  Next

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:01 am
If you were creating a curriculum for older elementary/middle school girls, to teach them about women in Jewish history POST the tanach era, who would you include on the list?

chocolover

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:18 am
Sara Schenirer is the first that comes to mind.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:23 am
Are you teaching about specific women or the lives of women in history?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Are you teaching about specific women or the lives of women in history?

Neither. I am a mother who would like to see a slightly different focus in my daughters curriculum.

chestnut

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:28 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Neither. I am a mother who would like to see a slightly different focus in my daughters curriculum.

Good luck

simcha2

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:29 am
Gracia Mendes Nasi
Hannah Senesh

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:31 am
Chabad.org has a great list which includes:

Yehudis
Shlomtzion
Rachel
6 women I don’t know of
Soulika
Sara schenirer
Another few someone’s I never heard of
Dr. Gisella Perl

I’d also want to include rochie Freier, as I think she is an incredible role model as well.

leah233

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:36 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
If you were creating a curriculum for older elementary/middle school girls, to teach them about women in Jewish history POST the tanach era, who would you include on the list?

Rochel, Rav Akiva's wife.

Sorah Schneirer

Rebbetzin Kaplan

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:37 am
chestnut wrote:
Good luck

Thank you!!! BH my daughter is in an amazing school, where they really listen to the parents, so I hope they will be able to incorporate something.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:42 am
Google Faigy Grunfeld. She's written a variety of articles and spoken about Jewish women in history.

zohar

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:53 am
Gracia Mendes Nasi was probably the most influential Jewish woman in history post the churban. She was a fascinating heroic woman who supported communities off those who fled Spain and supported Yeshivos and did not compromise on her Yiddeshkeit.

Also, Gluckl of Hamelin, while not a historical figure, provides a glimpse into the lives of medieval Ashkenazi Jewish women.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:57 am
zohar wrote:
Gracia Mendes Nasi was probably the most influential Jewish woman in history post the churban. She was a fascinating heroic woman who supported communities off those who fled Spain and supported Yeshivos and did not compromise on her Yiddeshkeit.

She is one of the women mentioned on the list, I’m not familiar with her. I will have to look into it more, she certainly sounds fascinating.

Quote:
Also, Gluckl of Hamelin, while not a historical figure, provides a glimpse into the lives of medieval Ashkenazi Jewish women.

I’ve heard of her, but I don’t know much about her.

Thank you for those two names

tigerwife

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:15 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’ve heard of her, but I don’t know much about her.

Thank you for those two names

Gluckel wrote a memoir that was discovered many years later and published. It is a fascinating read.

paperflowers

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:18 am
Bruriah! And Rachel, wife of Rabi Akiva, from the same era. Those would likely be less historical and more look-how-inspiring.

I think there are stories about Rashi’s mother but it may be hard to know what is or isn’t historical.
Gluckl of Hameln
Others mentioned Garcia Mendes Nasi. I had forgotten her name, but she was an important and fascinating figure when I learned about her in high school.

There may be more accounts of women’s lives in hard times than in peace times - think women during the Spanish Inquisition, during tach vtat, women during the holocaust.

Sara Schneirer, Vichna Kaplan. Nechama Leybovich - I don’t get why yeshivish places don’t teach about her.

For a more modern history class, why not research women who were important in building your community?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:20 am
The memoir is wonderful!!

I found it fascinating as an adult that so many of the issues she writes about are basically the same versions of things we grapple with today. The one note throughout is her steadfast faith, which I think was such a beautiful lesson.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:23 am
Also, if I were in a school that incorporated parent suggestion into the curriculum, I'd suggest that girls find out about their own families or which women have influenced their families. Sometimes when the context is more personal it becomes more meaningful. And I think that influential and amazing women are us!! We tend to go for the big names - which no doubt are important - but sometimes the small things that we find out about our grandparents are very special too.

dragoneye126

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:25 am
https://jwa.org/people

Great resource on influential Jewish women in history from ancient to modern.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:41 am
Mumeh Sarah (Sarah Katzenelenbogen). She has a fascinating story

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:56 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Mumeh Sarah (Sarah Katzenelenbogen). She has a fascinating story

She is also mentioned on the chabad.org list, another one of the names I didn’t recognize.

Maybe I will work with my daughter, to focus one one woman a month. We can read about her, write a report, do some kind of project, etc.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 12:02 pm
Judith Grunfeld
Shwester (sp?) Selma
I believe Miriam Zakon wrote some books geared for preteens about influential Jewish women. I think they were reprinted in the last year or so. Check out Targum press.
Another book which may be out of print: Daughters of Destiny iirc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics